England - who will step down and who will step up?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not to sure about England/GB's chances going forward, Sean O'loughlin, Roby, Brown (no real loss), James Graham is getting close to the end of his career, Jermaine Mcgillvery & Ryan Hall are sadly both fast approaching the wrong end of there careers now as well.

Then we have Zack Hardaker gone ,Tom & George I'm sorry to say shouldn't even be playing first grade let alone England & Sam Tomkins doesn't look anywhere near the player he was I'd highly doubt he'll ever be international standard again.

Other than wingers I really can't see anyone in SL who step in and replace the players who are going to depart.

George Williams is probably the one positive I can see for England in the future come to think of it.

I think Daryl Clark will be back in contention, he's a top player who has carried injuries for the last 2 years. Needs a good run of fitness.

I'l throw another hooker into the frame, Im a big fan of Kruise Leeming so ill be keeping a close eye on him over the next couple of years.

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

1 minute ago, Emosi Koloto said:

I think Daryl Clark will be back in contention, he's a top player who has carried injuries for the last 2 years. Needs a good run of fitness.

I'l throw another hooker into the frame, Im a big fan of Kruise Leeming so ill be keeping a close eye on him over the next couple of years.

A couple of years ago Clarke was the best hooker we had. Hopefully he can get back there. Leeming is a good shout. He has a way to go but hes a talented kid.

This thread is really positive. Lots of names mentioned and pretty much all of them are feasable. We have good depth in a lot of positions.

7 hours ago, Emosi Koloto said:

Amazingly Clark is almost like the forgotten man but like you say injuries and playing in a stumbling side has not helped. You’d have to make Clark the favourite to succeed Roby who’s swan song could be the NZ series with leeming looking like the long term future option if he continues to develop and his great form.

9 hours ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

George Williams is probably the one positive I can see for England in the future come to think of it.

I also like Williams but his England appearances haven’t exactly been eye catching. He’s only 23 so he’s got time on his side to grow into the role for England.

Too much time to pass before we start naming teams. New players coming through also which players will be still around the squad, the writing off of the twins is laughable they are young and front rows don't mature till their late twenties. 

53 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

I also like Williams but his England appearances haven’t exactly been eye catching. He’s only 23 so he’s got time on his side to grow into the role for England.

I think he'll be a good'n England and Wigan just need to stick solid with him.

9 minutes ago, rhinos78 said:

He certainly is...The kiwis will probably be a bit early for him and walker but id be suprised if both arnt england/GB regulars  in the coming years

Me too. With some youngsters it’s just obvious that they are headed for the top and the talent and potential of these 2 sticks out a mile.

4 minutes ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

I think he'll be a good'n England and Wigan just need to stick solid with him.

Absolutely. Plus the halfback role at international level is probably the hardest position to adjust to because of the responsibilities. Especially when you’re up against the kiwis and Aussies.

1 minute ago, walter sobchak said:

Absolutely. Plus the halfback role at international level is probably the hardest position to adjust to because of the responsibilities. Especially when you’re up against the kiwis and Aussies.

My main concern is the future England pack he'll be playing behind may not be up to scratch.

8 hours ago, Emosi Koloto said:

Considering the England attempt was based on defence, Clark will have to improve in that area imo.  Would be interesting to see his defensive stats versus other contenders and those already in the seat.

Despite criticism, mainly through comments on the BBC, that Hodgson was slow, he played well, but we had someone even better.  Roby will be in for NZ, whether Hodgson is back for that us doubtful, but we need that understudy in asap.

This England training-on group needs to be continued now.  

2 minutes ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

My main concern is the future England pack he'll be playing behind may not be up to scratch.

Burgess dropped some ball when he came on.  Take that away and he made a big impact.  What negated that impression were his errors.  

The only one I would see as going would be Heighington, with some good forwards waiting to get a shot.

Just now, Lowdesert said:

Burgess dropped some ball when he came on.  Take that away and he made a big impact.  What negated that impression were his errors.  

The only one I would see as going would be Heighington, with some good forwards waiting to get a shot.

Tom & George are great blokes & I'll never forget what they where a part of in 2014 but honestly they've been horrible ever since , They lack basic hand eye coordination & don't hit the ball up anywhere near hard enough any more for my liking.

16 minutes ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

Tom & George are great blokes & I'll never forget what they where a part of in 2014 but honestly they've been horrible ever since , They lack basic hand eye coordination & don't hit the ball up anywhere near hard enough any more for my liking.

I don’t think their errors are news really.  TB made a couple, but the amount of hands  attacking the ball in gang tackles these days account for most ball carrier errors imo.  

The ‘hard enough’ comment is way off the mark mate.  

19 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I don’t think their errors are news really.  TB made a couple, but the amount of hands  attacking the ball in gang tackles these days account for most ball carrier errors imo.  

The ‘hard enough’ comment is way off the mark mate.  

Sorry mate but I think it's deserved, I've watched them live or closely on TV every game since they landed at South Sydney and even watched Tom at Bradford and for there size and lack of ball skills I don't believe they run the ball hard enough.

1 minute ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

Sorry mate but I think it's deserved, I've watched them live or closely on TV every game since they landed at South Sydney and even watched Tom at Bradford and for there size and lack of ball skills I don't believe they run the ball hard enough.

It’s not all about blasting in though.  Good footwork and positioning is more important these days, getting your hands through and free, keep moving.  

Come on.  At Bradford they were kids.  You won’t get any arguments from me that they need to improve their ball control, but lack of aggression would mean they wouldn’t get a game in the NRL.

4 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Too much time to pass before we start naming teams. New players coming through also which players will be still around the squad, the writing off of the twins is laughable they are young and front rows don't mature till their late twenties. 

Agree about the twins. The burgess twins would be in any england squad for me. Tom had a shocker yesterday but he's been a wrecking ball all tournament prior to that. Looking at 2021 i think the squad will be in great  shape.

At prop Walmsley,burgess x 2,naylor,watts will all be 31 or younger at the time

Hookers well covered with  clark and leeming who'l be 28 and 26 respectivly...Hodgson will still be there at 32

Backrow should be a strength with currie,ward,bateman and mcmeeken who'l all be 27/28...sam will still be there at 32

At center gildart,connor,percival and suttcliffe will all be 27 or under, conner and suttcliffe seem to of finally found there position,iv got high hopes for both of them at center,gildart and percival are both already good young centers ...Watkins will still be there at  30

On the wings burgess,johnstone ,manfredi,davies will all be 27 or under...  If hall and mcgillvery have finished internationaly then burgess and johnstone would be a quality duo imo,both big,athletic,rapid and know where the try line is.

Halfback,williams gets unfair criticism for me,he's still a baby for the position,he's learning on the job,he'l be 27 next world cup and will be a top quality half by then imo...Widdop will still be there at 32 and we'l be much better in the halves than we were for this world cup.

Fullback shaul and walker are two good young players ,then tomkins,fitness permitting,will only be 32... Hardaker will be 30 but obviously theres a lot of question marks about him.

Like many others have said,ther will be players that come from nowhere and players that dont kick on as hoped. But as a starting point,i think theres a lot of talent there who will all be in or around ther peak years come 4 year time,with a few of the world class players from the current squad still at a good age. 

Two teenagers i havnt mentioned  who iv got high hopes for are:

Mikolaj oledzki... Massive,athletic prop,was brilliant on loan at bradford in the championship last season at 18 yearold

Morgan smith...Quality young half,Played interchange 9 for warrington last season,really hope he gets more gametime in the halfs this year. Think he could be top class.

13 minutes ago, rhinos78 said:

Agree about the twins. The burgess twins would be in any england squad for me. Tom had a shocker yesterday but he's been a wrecking ball all tournament prior to that. Looking at 2021 i think the squad will be in great  shape.

At prop Walmsley,burgess x 2,naylor,watts will all be 31 or younger at the time

Hookers well covered with  clark and leeming who'l be 28 and 26 respectivly...Hodgson will still be there at 32

Backrow should be a strength with currie,ward,bateman and mcmeeken who'l all be 27/28...sam will still be there at 32

At center gildart,connor,percival and suttcliffe will all be 27 or under, conner and suttcliffe seem to of finally found there position,iv got high hopes for both of them at center,gildart and percival are both already good young centers ...Watkins will still be there at  30

On the wings burgess,johnstone ,manfredi,davies will all be 27 or under...  If hall and mcgillvery have finished internationaly then burgess and johnstone would be a quality duo imo,both big,athletic,rapid and know where the try line is.

Halfback,williams gets unfair criticism for me,he's still a baby for the position,he's learning on the job,he'l be 27 next world cup and will be a top quality half by then imo...Widdop will still be there at 32 and we'l be much better in the halves than we were for this world cup.

Fullback shaul and walker are two good young players ,then tomkins,fitness permitting,will only be 32... Hardaker will be 30 but obviously theres a lot of question marks about him.

Like many others have said,ther will be players that come from nowhere and players that dont kick on as hoped. But as a starting point,i think theres a lot of talent there who will all be in or around ther peak years come 4 year time,with a few of the world class players from the current squad still at a good age. 

Two teenagers i havnt mentioned  who iv got high hopes for are:

Mikolaj oledzki... Massive,athletic prop,was brilliant on loan at bradford in the championship last season at 18 yearold

Morgan smith...Quality young half,Played interchange 9 for warrington last season,really hope he gets more gametime in the halfs this year. Think he could be top class.

Agree with all of this. You’ve also got youngsters like Darnell Mcintosh at the giants, batchelor at wakey  and livett at Warrington. Plus they’ll always be wildcards that we’ve never even heard of or seen yet like herbie farnworth at The Brisbane Broncos.

Also isn’t there a young centre at the rhinos who’s very well thought of??

Archived