England - who will step down and who will step up?

4 minutes ago, snapski said:

All banging on about Ward and I’m going to say it again. Milner is as good if not better than him. Also covers hooker. Another good season and he’s a shoe in for at least a squad place for versatility.

Who’s banging on Snapper?  As part of WBs Group, Ward won’t be lost to selection and Milner has still to get in that Group.  Not a shoe-in.

Milners another good player, not too disimmilar to McGuire (Aus) and he is outstanding.  

Its quite clear to me that WBs philosophy is whether a player can play well  at International level.  If it’s just a ‘maybe’ they don’t get selected.  If it’s a ‘yes’ he wants proof on the training ground.  Milner, Savelio etc are still in the queue for maybe imo.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Agree with all of this. You’ve also got youngsters like Darnell Mcintosh at the giants, batchelor at wakey  and livett at Warrington. Plus they’ll always be wildcards that we’ve never even heard of or seen yet like herbie farnworth at The Brisbane Broncos.

Also isn’t there a young centre at the rhinos who’s very well thought of??

I don't know about centre but Leeds have a lot of young players with massive potential coming through. Cameron Smith, Oledzski, walker and even Sutcliffe could be in that bracket - among others.

To me these young players are the exact type of player that could be gradually introduced into the England team through a 6 nations championship. A problem for a lot of our young players coming into England, even older players like Gale to be fair, is that they've been dropped in cold into a must win Kiwis or Kangaroos game. 

14 minutes ago, snapski said:

All banging on about Ward and I’m going to say it again. Milner is as good if not better than him. Also covers hooker. Another good season and he’s a shoe in for at least a squad place for versatility.

Wards a proven big game player,Milner has had one good season.

If he was as good as you say,he'd have been in the squad already.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

19 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Agree with all of this. You’ve also got youngsters like Darnell Mcintosh at the giants, batchelor at wakey  and livett at Warrington. Plus they’ll always be wildcards that we’ve never even heard of or seen yet like herbie farnworth at The Brisbane Broncos.

Also isn’t there a young centre at the rhinos who’s very well thought of??

Yeah theres a lad called harry newman who'l be starting his second season in the 19s this season. He played on the wing against wigan when we rested a few last season,was the first 2000's born player to play superleague.  He signed his first proffesional contract this off-season.

We'v actually got a center a year behind him who i thinks even better,lad called jack broadbent,he's as complete a center as iv seen in scholarship /academy rugby...No telling how theyl develop that young though so im trying to curb my excitement about him until he's atleast had a season in the 19's lol. Its his first in 19's this coming season.

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't know about centre but Leeds have a lot of young players with massive potential coming through. Cameron Smith, Oledzski, walker and even Sutcliffe could be in that bracket - among others.

If he's got into the England team by the time we next play the Kangaroos, that should confuse them! Maybe he should have some intensive training sessions in the art of instructing Australian referees.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

To me these young players are the exact type of player that could be gradually introduced into the England team through a 6 nations championship. A problem for a lot of our young players coming into England, even older players like Gale to be fair, is that they've been dropped in cold into a must win Kiwis or Kangaroos game. 

Would love to see sumthing like that,even an under 23's like they used to have. When GB tour australia in 2019 i wouldnt imagine it would be tol hard to take a GB under 23's and play a test each against fiji,tonga and samoa as curtain raisers to the GB v Australia tests. That would be a win-winfor everyone from a rugby point of view id of thought.

33 minutes ago, snapski said:

Milners not even close to being as good as ward imo

And back to club rivalries we go...

What’s the young hooker called at Widnes? He’s the long term No9 if developed correctly.

13 hours ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

George Williams is probably the one positive I can see for England in the future come to think of it.

I think that is way off the mark - look harder!

22 minutes ago, rhinos78 said:

Would love to see sumthing like that,even an under 23's like they used to have. When GB tour australia in 2019 i wouldnt imagine it would be tol hard to take a GB under 23's and play a test each against fiji,tonga and samoa as curtain raisers to the GB v Australia tests. That would be a win-winfor everyone from a rugby point of view id of thought.

I think there's definitely scope for the non GB selected players to tour with England, Scotland, Wales (and Ireland?) at the same time as GB tour Oz. 

USA, Canada, Tonga, Fiji, PNG, France, Lebanon, jamaica, even Serbia, are all potential tour stops and like you say are potentially win win.

Archived