Mid season test in USA v New Zealand

Jason Moore sounds extremely confident about the plans for New Zealand v England in the USA next June. However, I'm told there are plenty of stumbling blocks which still need to be cleared for it to happen. Not a sure thing by any stretch of the imagination

It would clearly be fascinating if England could get a game over the line in America mid-season. Getting the idea past the NRL clubs - who may be reluctant to let players go if opposition is NZ, for example - will be the challenge.

both quotes from Aaron Bower. Would be fantastic. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, another thread on this subject.

Jace can repeat his frantic objections all over again.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Why when there is a three match series at the end of the season. 

Why not when there are:

A. Clearly not enough international RL fixtures at present?

B. Potential backers offering up to 1M US dollars between the two teams

C. Parties interested in creating US teams (either US based franchises in the UK leagues, or eventually a pro US league) 

D. Ambitions (hopefully) want the game to grow into as many territories as possible

E. Ambitions (hopefully) to expose as many potential followers to the game as possible

1 hour ago, philipw said:

Why not when there are:

C. Parties interested in creating US teams (either US based franchises in the UK leagues, or eventually a pro US league) 

D. Ambitions (hopefully) want the game to grow into as many territories as possible

E. Ambitions (hopefully) to expose as many potential followers to the game as possible

It's not about how many fixtures it is about a three match series in October /November. No team will play the same opposition in a test in the same season. Other things you state are irrelevant, if you want a mid season international in the USA play against another team otherwise it will devalue the latter series 

I think I read somewhere that Moore wants NZ there as they are the most recognisable rugby brand in the USA. If it does come off it will be exciting. I thought the initial plan was to play in NZ? I don't know if that is still on the table as an option.

7 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

It's not about how many fixtures it is about a three match series in October /November. No team will play the same opposition in a test in the same season. Other things you state are irrelevant, if you want a mid season international in the USA play against another team otherwise it will devalue the latter series 

Which other country which the Yanks might rate as worth seeing could give the Kiwis a contest there?  The All Blacks being the only "rugby" team of any description which they've even heard of, New Zealand has to be one of the teams involved so the organizers can use that in their marketing.

39 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

How will it do that? By playing them once more? Did the 1992 Ashes Tour Down Under devalue the World Cup Final?

It is an opportunity to play more games, in a market that is starting to see some movement...where is the problem?

16 minutes ago, philipw said:

How will it do that? By playing them once more? Did the 1992 Ashes Tour Down Under devalue the World Cup Final?

It is an opportunity to play more games, in a market that is starting to see some movement...where is the problem?

Yep I also think the Kiwis played the Anzac test in 2005 and then played Australia a further 3 times in the Autumn 4 Nations tournament.

4 hours ago, Scubby said:

Yep I also think the Kiwis played the Anzac test in 2005 and then played Australia a further 3 times in the Autumn 4 Nations tournament.

And coincidentally NZ lifted their standards to the point they thrashed Australia in the final. Far from diluting the product, it actually made the Aus-NZ rivalry stronger. The more top level games the better for both NZ and England, as they look to build/rebuild from the world cup. Of course those 4 games shouldn't be it. England should play France next year, and it'd be crazy if NZ aren't finding time to play Tonga (though I know they're playing Australia). 

7 hours ago, westside said:

It makes sense to build on the momentum of the Wolfpack and RLWC in North America. If the Kiwis can't make it for whatever reason, there's a decent sized Tongan community in the US. Not in Denver necessarily but some will travel.

Denver seems an unusual choice, I would love to know the rationale behind that location. For me, it should be in Toronto, Boston or NY, i.e. locations which looking to have teams. There is little point in choosing Denver, if there is not gong to be a team there. A game at BMO Field in Toronto would really support the efforts being made there and might take things to the next level.

It seems Moore Sports and Perez/Aryle/TWP are not on the same page, which is worrying because RL will only get one chance to get this right in North America.

6 hours ago, ojx said:

Denver seems an unusual choice, I would love to know the rationale behind that location. For me, it should be in Toronto, Boston or NY, i.e. locations which looking to have teams. There is little point in choosing Denver, if there is not gong to be a team there. A game at BMO Field in Toronto would really support the efforts being made there and might take things to the next level.

It seems Moore Sports and Perez/Aryle/TWP are not on the same page, which is worrying because RL will only get one chance to get this right in North America.

As been mentioned on a previous thread, there's a small but existing union presence/community in Denver. Seeing that there are people there who would have heard of rugby and New Zealand being involved, a crowd will be guaranteed. So there you have it

14 hours ago, philipw said:

Why not when there are:

Great Post. 

7 hours ago, ojx said:

I reckon he must have done it on a bidding city basis. Perhaps the Denver authorities have offered cash towards staging the fixture? Or they may have a major sponsor who has a strong base in Colorado?

My preference would be to select the best strategic venue for it to build on. Not sure Denver is that.

22 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Yes they will; they have before and will do again

31 minutes ago, philipw said:

Yes they will; they have before and will do again

Getting quite bored with you on this but I will play along, why not Kiwis and Ireland as there is a strong Irish presence in the USA. ;)

4 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Getting quite bored with you on this but I will play along, why not Kiwis and Ireland as there is a strong Irish presence in the USA. ;)

England and NZ had provisionally agreed to play in NZ prior to this offer. So I suppose they had already agreed a game.

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

England and NZ had provisionally agreed to play in NZ prior to this offer. So I suppose they had already agreed a game.

Nigel Wood did claim the other day that we were never heading down to Oz or NZ in 2018. 

With a bit of notice this could be a good trip for a few fans (including me!)

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

16 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

He also said a trip to the SH for England was never on the radar then waxed lyrically about the crowds and stadium in PNG!

Yes but they were different things, the article wasnt great. He was talking about lots of subjects. 

He said it was likely to be USA or Eurooe and they were never heading down under this year.

A USA vs Canada test as a curtain raiser could be good for England vs NZ in Denver.

For those questioning the market, it's a pretty dynamic city with a young population, great weather most of the year, and lots of nature and nightlife to get into. I have been there a few times, would recommend the trip to anyone.

Archived