Newcastle Thunder Academy in Cumbria

Gonch

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I answered and you rejected my answer ,or didnt grasp it ,  I have said continually there has to be some kind of pathway to keep those already playing interested on a further development programme and it will also , when explained thoroughly to schoolkids not playing the game , give then am incentive to take it up a test themselves in hope of a possible career in the game or gain a college degree whilst playing and enjoying a sport with the added fitness benefits  .

Slightly off topic but have to praise the club for their offer for the coaching sessions with James Graham , all kids get free season tickets , what a brilliant gesture and hopefully the sessions are rammed and some good money is raised for the Team Evie charity. 

Fantastic. 

6 hours ago, snoopdog said:

This player pathway is a complete load of tosh, seems the RFL are only interested in the identification of the best talent, the amateur game is dying due to lack of numbers. I suggest they get their head out of their ###### and deal with the real issue in the game which is participation!!

Correct. Most successful sporting teams are that because they have the largest player pool to pick from rather than focusing on an elite 

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

Barrow have been running a Class 3 Academy for three years now. It took a year to set up properly with strong bonds having to be built between the College, Local Clubs and coaches. As for it being cost neutral, you will need at least £5,000 to £10,000 to keep it going per year. Barrow have not to my knowledge received any financial support and fund through donations and sponsorship. I'm sure if you read this weeks Evening Mail you will see the success of the program which goes unrecognized and unsupported  by the RFL.

Perhaps a delegation could visit Barrow to find out how it is managed and funded before allowing another "Widnes" fiasco. 

20 hours ago, Anonymouse said:

lets have a look at that load of old tosh pathway and the Cumbrian lads who have recently used it .

J. Hambley . Town

W . Maher . Castleford 

B. Moore . Halifax .

S . Toal . Barrow .

T. Ritson . Town to Thunder 

J. Johnstone . Widnes .

K. Mewes . Town 

C. Fitzsimmons . Castleford to Thunder 

H. Dawson . Gloucester Old Golds 

thats just off the top of my head , theres probably some ive missed .

and still an abundance of kids form the area on scholarships we defiantly have the talent in the are

18 hours ago, snoopdog said:

You continue to pick the pieces out my txt that suites you  , you fail to answer questions regarding your comments  , and your only interested in winning an argument goodbye?

Don't worry about it, he does it to almost everyone, he suffers from A.S or commonly known as asshole syndrome. If you don't respond he goes away looking for another unsuspecting victim to star an argument with, he can't help himself.

18 minutes ago, Billy Bob said:

Don't worry about it, he does it to almost everyone, he suffers from A.S or commonly known as asshole syndrome. If you don't respond he goes away looking for another unsuspecting victim to star an argument with, he can't help himself.

Its called debating  and if you do not like debate or opposite opinions then whats the use of commenting on threads like this one which is asking for opinions ? I personally think its a good subject and one which isnt debated enough on this forum .

8 hours ago, COYR said:

Barrow have been running a Class 3 Academy for three years now. It took a year to set up properly with strong bonds having to be built between the College, Local Clubs and coaches. As for it being cost neutral, you will need at least £5,000 to £10,000 to keep it going per year. Barrow have not to my knowledge received any financial support and fund through donations and sponsorship. I'm sure if you read this weeks Evening Mail you will see the success of the program which goes unrecognized and unsupported  by the RFL.

Perhaps a delegation could visit Barrow to find out how it is managed and funded before allowing another "Widnes" fiasco. 

Correct, its all funded in house and the relationship between amateur clubs and amateur coach's with Barrow has never been as good, all without the help of the RFL, if anyone watched the youth west Cumbria v Barrow state of origin games I think they will have seen how the barrow teams have improved and over turned there west Cumbria counter parts, they had been playing and training together for over twelve months as part of the Barrow academy set up.

3 hours ago, shaun mc said:

The RFL have always had their eye on Cumbria as the academy area for the North-East - that was their intention when Gateshead were in Super League

True--- the Suits at Red Hall have constantly treated Cumbrian R.L. with contempt including Town's short tenure in Super League.If they believe that Newcastle Thunder can push for the top table - and they do have the facilities- they will do cartwheels to assist them,even if it means leaching talent away from Cumbria. 

18 minutes ago, Seaton Sandy said:

True--- the Suits at Red Hall have constantly treated Cumbrian R.L. with contempt including Town's short tenure in Super League.If they believe that Newcastle Thunder can push for the top table - and they do have the facilities- they will do cartwheels to assist them,even if it means leaching talent away from Cumbria. 

We would all (or should) wish the young talent of the area go to the 2 local Clubs but if it is correct that there is "little appetite" ( not my words but words quoted ) from the clubs to go down this route then you cannot blame another club for showing interest and applying , whoever it is . Again until we hear any other counter to the RFL reps claim then the academy style pathway looks to be handed to someone who wants to take it over . Something has to happen to bridge the ages between 16's and 20's or more will just find jobs and quit the game as they have been doing . 

19 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

We would all (or should) wish the young talent of the area go to the 2 local Clubs but if it is correct that there is "little appetite" ( not my words but words quoted ) from the clubs to go down this route then you cannot blame another club for showing interest and applying , whoever it is . Again until we hear any other counter to the RFL reps claim then the academy style pathway looks to be handed to someone who wants to take it over . Something has to happen to bridge the ages between 16's and 20's or more will just find jobs and quit the game as they have been doing . 

The "little appetite" quote is apparently from R.F.L. officials --- carries about the same weight as an olive branch from Kim il Jun. Lads in the 16to 20 age group will be looking for a day job regardless - down at our level working and playing footie can't be mutually exclusive. Newcastle appear to be playing the " student/player" card rather like the ill fated Oxford-Gloucester axis .

This player pathway is to identify the best talent, who do you think this will benefit? The lottery funding criteria recently changed with all funding based on success at the highest level, the RFL have absolutely no interest in Town or Haven and even less interest in the Community game.

This college course system as been tried many times in various disguises, none have worked because basically it's a funding stream for the RFL. Many players have been enticed onto these schemes when clearly they are not good enough, they fill numbers up get ###### of and many leave the game for good 

Just been told that both semi pro clubs are very unhappy about the comments made at Tuesday nights meeting at Lowca by the rfl representatives, by all accounts a couple of people from rfl telling a few pork pies, in the mean time the game in Cumbria is going down the pan. 

2 hours ago, BIG MAC said:

Just been told that both semi pro clubs are very unhappy about the comments made at Tuesday nights meeting at Lowca by the rfl representatives, by all accounts a couple of people from rfl telling a few pork pies, in the mean time the game in Cumbria is going down the pan. 

Yep, I've seen evidence to the contrary from someone

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

7 hours ago, Seaton Sandy said:

They’ll never have a sustainable SL team in Newcastle whatever they do. Just like Wales. 

12 hours ago, Seaton Sandy said:

The "little appetite" quote is apparently from R.F.L. officials --- carries about the same weight as an olive branch from Kim il Jun. Lads in the 16to 20 age group will be looking for a day job regardless - down at our level working and playing footie can't be mutually exclusive. Newcastle appear to be playing the " student/player" card rather like the ill fated Oxford-Gloucester axis .

College sport , play and get a degree and qualification works in the US , not saying it is the only solution but it is one angle that needs to be explored and made more available , some make it into first teams others play amateur but set up new sport related health and fitness and refereeing or coaching training business's  , the new idea is have them study any subject they choose and get a Uni education while playing , which however you try to paint or taint it , it cannot be a bad thing .

Gary, think the rfl have some explaining to do about the comments that they made at this meeting if they are untrue, think the problem that we have here is transparency between both the semi pro clubs, the grass route clubs and the rfl reps,  everything seems to be he said she said, don't think we will have this until everyone is singing off the same hymn sheet, for this everyone has to get together, when was the last time everyone got around a table to talk about the problems we have in west Cumbria with our great game.

10 hours ago, GeordieTownie said:

They’ll never have a sustainable SL team in Newcastle whatever they do. Just like Wales. 

Possibly not but they have the population, stadium, magic weekend to help boost the support and a partnership with a union club playing in the premiership who have a big budget and an owner with a few quid. You can see why the RFL have there eyes on the club progressing.....

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

Gary

I think the topic has inspired some good debate, and that 1 sentence quoted was the golden thread of the while message that was debated on that night.

As for the question on youth development I, and many others, are working hard and have given many days worth of our time doing this.

In addition I've coached on the workington scholarship and various pathways, gone into schools, coached at junior international level as have countless others.

BUT many of us feel we are poorly supported by the RFL and other bodies and have been for a number of years.

The only people that can change this is the rugby league people of West Cumbria as a whole, including the pro clubs come together with a philanthropic attitude towards West Cumbria and not be out to get what we can for "our" club. If we take the myopic view we will have very few local teams to play each other at both youth and open age level.

The west cumbria foundation may take steps to improve access to schools eye bit we still need more volunteers to carry out these sessions.

So there is no silver bullet solution and there is a lot of work to be done and I believe one of the first steps is to improve comms between the key parties and not operate in isolation.

Soss

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

The Newcastle club see Cumbria as part of their catchment area for recruitment as witnessed by the signings of mcavoy,ritson and fitzsimmons the academy takes this one step further and if run similarly to the falcons setup we will see many more local lads make the same move

If evidence has come to light that both Haven and Town are still working and talking on a way forward towards building a academy why was this meeting told differently by the rfl, the question should be asked why, some people are telling lies and its the game of rugby league in Cumbria that is suffering. 

Archived