Boxing Day - any hope?

Blind side johnny

Does anyone think we will have the slightest chance of victory against the might of Batley on Boxing Day? Allegedly their recruitment has gone entirely as planned to return them to their rightful place in the top four, so they are likely to sweep minnows such as us to one side in the coming season. Maybe holding them to less than 50 will count as some sort of moral victory.

I assume that our training is now in full swing and going well but I seem to have lost contact with the news feed that flows constantly out of the club. It must be my 'phone.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I expect a good blow out and although we are the better of the heavy woollen sides lately the loses we suffered to you in 2017 hurt dearly.

If Ned doesn' use 30 players I predict a home loss 16- 34. Tom Hemingway to play a blinder. Sykes a fair yellow and Gareth Moore to get muddy knees only :girlblum:

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Does anyone think we will have the slightest chance of victory against the might of Batley on Boxing Day? 

Er in a word No

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I assume that our training is now in full swing and going well but I seem to have lost contact with the news feed that flows constantly out of the club. It must be my 'phone.

Interviews:

Billy Hayes - https://dewsburyrams.co.uk/2017/11/13/hayes-returns-to-repay-coachs-faith/

Rob Spicer - https://dewsburyrams.co.uk/2017/11/26/spicer-previews-his-tenth-season/

Rob Worrincy - https://dewsburyrams.co.uk/2017/11/29/new-signing-worrincy-is-ready-for-a-fresh-challenge/

Kyle Trout - https://dewsburyrams.co.uk/2017/12/02/new-rams-signing-trout-relishing-new-environment/

Tom Halliday - https://dewsburyrams.co.uk/2017/12/04/halliday-ready-to-continue-rugby-league-journey-in-2018/

Aaron Brown - https://dewsburyrams.co.uk/2017/12/06/we-have-to-start-better-says-brown/

Sam Day - https://dewsburyrams.co.uk/2017/12/08/day-seeks-consistency-after-making-big-impact-in-2017/

...more to come.

And there's a box on the website where you can type in your email address to receive news stories direct to your inbox as they are published, so you never lose contact!

Tom

22 minutes ago, Tom Coates said:

You do a great job Tom getting these news items from the players.

Now, how's about some from the coach and the chairman, people who actually know what's going on?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Does anyone think we will have the slightest chance of victory against the might of Batley on Boxing Day? Allegedly their recruitment has gone entirely as planned to return them to their rightful place in the top four, so they are likely to sweep minnows such as us to one side in the coming season. Maybe holding them to less than 50 will count as some sort of moral victory.

Can’t see it matters really. The BD game hardly ever seems to predict likely form.  It’s just a chance to get a bit of fresh air.  At least we won’t be charging as much as the robbing doggies to get in......will we??

I also predict that it will be a ###### game, just to make sure that none of those who only come at xmas bother coming again.  Heaven forbid both teams might get together in advance and agree to at least try and provide a bit of entertainment. 

13 hours ago, NickD said:

Can’t see it matters really. The BD game hardly ever seems to predict likely form.  It’s just a chance to get a bit of fresh air.  At least we won’t be charging as much as the robbing doggies to get in......will we??

I also predict that it will be a ###### game, just to make sure that none of those who only come at xmas bother coming again.  Heaven forbid both teams might get together in advance and agree to at least try and provide a bit of entertainment. 

NK in today's L Express says that he wants to use the whole squad for the match. In other words it is just a run out with no real interest in the result, except amongst the fans.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

NK in today's L Express says that he wants to use the whole squad for the match. In other words it is just a run out with no real interest in the result, except amongst the fans.

It's quite ironic that the most meaningless game between the two sides is also likely to produce the highest attendance figure.

Certainly does but the rugby drought and fresh airing of club replicas and cheap aftershave may have a bearing too!

Is it brut, aramis or jazz for the southstanders?

Punnani, Calvin clown and Jean Paul gibblet for the mount pleasant contingents 

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

19 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Come on Nick, don't be grumpy like er, GOR. Go and enjoy the fresh air, exercise your vocal chords ('course you may have done that the day previous shouting at the kids) and the game. 

Hard not to be grumpy when every year it’s a lost opportunity.  100s turn up that we don’t see for the rest of the year and the game is always pants.  Not asking for much. Just throw the ball around a bit.  Let’s have a 34-32 scoreline that might draw a few back for future games.  

You can have a 32- 34 if it helps

What a strange question.

Think of it this way, Equalizer...

When Batley win, it's the perfect rounding off of the Christmas festivities. 

If the unthinkable should happen (and it sometimes does), then it's just a bit of fresh air whilst whiling away eighty minutes watching a meaningless match.

Feel free to adapt this attitude to suit your own skewed outlook from the South stand.

Merry Christmas.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

8 hours ago, Sir Jekyll Stocking said:

What a strange question.

If the unthinkable should happen (and it sometimes does), then it's just a bit of fresh air whilst whiling away eighty minutes watching a meaningless match.

Feel free to adapt this attitude to suit your own skewed outlook from the South stand.

Merry Christmas.

He has a point though - I have said every Boxing day for - well, ever, "that's it, I'm not wasting my brass next year", and yet I have. This year I definitely aint - although it doesn't necessarily mean forever of course.:rolleyes:

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

11 hours ago, Sir Jekyll Stocking said:

What a strange question.

Merry Christmas.

As with most things summer RL is entirely to blame. Boxing Day (or even Christmas Day) matches ALWAYS  had meaning before that accursed switch.

If there was a sponsor for the game-say Harron Homes that would be something.

It's been that many years since they started on the housing estate i've forgotten what the deal is with them.

We've got those fantastic pitches which must have cost a fortune.Are they being used regular?

People don't seem to want to watch in june and july at our level -understandable.

Maybe split the games up have some in summer.some in winter.Is that feasible?

SL give leigh half  a milion,how are clubs like Dewsbury  supposed to compete.

The rfl don't seem to have any say at all.

Anyway if we had a proper league match at boxing day we'd thrash Batley like we used to-Didn't we?

1 hour ago, Townie said:

We have a good enough set of players to win with home advantage.

Oh no you haven't 

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:29 PM, EQUALIZER said:

Bit of festive cheer give the minnows the mince pie one and then kick their backsides the rest of the season merry Christmas to all those on the dark side of the valley. 

Thanks for the pies, Equalizer. Let's see how accurate your other predictions are.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

Let me guess we cheated our way through game and there were a 6:1 rams dogs fan ratio?

Archived