Sargison back to SL

Do any Backs make it in the NRL?

The best back in a Generation in Tomkins was average at best in his first year and went home broken hardly to be seen again a year later.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He hasn't quit. He was told by the Titans that he didn't figure in their plans and so if he could get a contract elsewhere they would release him.

Wigan themselves have confirmed this which points to one of two things; Gelling is gone or Wane has recognised the need for a utility back after last season and that's where Sarginson's role lies.

Either way, not particularly inspiring. Was hoping for a new 7 but alas, Tommy Leuleuai is deemed the "quality" needed to play that position...

21 minutes ago, Allora said:

The best back in a Generation in Tomkins was average at best in his first year and went home broken hardly to be seen again a year later.

Didn't Gareth Widdop get voted 5/8 of the year last season ?

36 minutes ago, Allora said:

Average despite having strikingly similar stats to Billy Slater and Greg Inglis - with Inglis being in a premiership winning team and Tomkins being in a team which placed 9th.

Confirmed on BBC that he back at Wigan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I'm bleeding sick of Lenegan letting players leave and then providing a safety blanket for them to come back. All so his statement a few years ago, along the lines of its okay letting players leave because they will want to come back, rings true. Yes they invariably come back because they have failed, been injured or are getting on and always come back as shadows of the players that left. 

It'll be a shame if Gelling goes. The game needs nutters, especially if they're talented nutters.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sarginson definitely has some good qualities, and since it's likely that he's replacing Gelling it helps that one of those is his work rate and ability to make good yards returning the ball. He was usually one of the top metre makers in every single game, similar to Tom Davies this year, and that's something that is important but often goes undervalued. When Gelling was missing this year it was obvious how much we were missing those strong first and second carries that Gelling, Sarginson, Charnley and Manfredi were producing in 2016. Of course it might have occurred to some coaches to get the props involved and add to their 5 carries each game but that's another matter.

The negatives. The errors - dear lord the errors! Particularly right in front of his own line. Also, his difficulty in knowing when (or sometimes how) to pass to his winger. A pretty big issue for a centre that's for sure.

I've seen the club and some journalists point out how important he was for us in the 2016 Grand Final and that he finished the year in good form. However, his good form only really showed when he was playing fullback. Up until that point I think pretty much every Wigan fan was hoping he wouldn't be picked at centre instead of Gildart. Even though Sarge's passing was very hit and miss he was more consistent playing fullback. His footwork and running style also seemed far more effective. He could step and take the line on whereas he was constantly stepping inside into tackles at centre.

So basically, in his final few months at Wigan we discovered he was actually a pretty dangerous fullback at Super League level, but his performances at centre were getting worse each year. So naturally after practically a year out injured he's been brought back to play centre again.

At least he should make up for the loss of Gelling's work rate, and with our right edge effectively starved of attacking opportunities anyway he's unlikely to be holding Tom Davies back. Both Sarginson and Davies will trouble defences with their carries next year so that's one positive.

A backline of Tomkins; Davies, Sarginson, Gildart and Burgess is still a very dangerous one.

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

He moved to Aus at 16. So I’d say 50/50 between both systems

Hmm, not sure. 
I mean, he developed into the player he is coming through the Aussie game. 
Though I recognize he must have been a good youngster when he moved. 
But it's hard to put him in the category of those who become very good Super League players and then moved to the NRL. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

52 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

Sarginson definitely has some good qualities, and since it's likely that he's replacing Gelling it helps that one of those is his work rate and ability to make good yards returning the ball. He was usually one of the top metre makers in every single game, similar to Tom Davies this year, and that's something that is important but often goes undervalued. When Gelling was missing this year it was obvious how much we were missing those strong first and second carries that Gelling, Sarginson, Charnley and Manfredi were producing in 2016. Of course it might have occurred to some coaches to get the props involved and add to their 5 carries each game but that's another matter.

The negatives. The errors - dear lord the errors! Particularly right in front of his own line. Also, his difficulty in knowing when (or sometimes how) to pass to his winger. A pretty big issue for a centre that's for sure.

I've seen the club and some journalists point out how important he was for us in the 2016 Grand Final and that he finished the year in good form. However, his good form only really showed when he was playing fullback. Up until that point I think pretty much every Wigan fan was hoping he wouldn't be picked at centre instead of Gildart. Even though Sarge's passing was very hit and miss he was more consistent playing fullback. His footwork and running style also seemed far more effective. He could step and take the line on whereas he was constantly stepping inside into tackles at centre.

So basically, in his final few months at Wigan we discovered he was actually a pretty dangerous fullback at Super League level, but his performances at centre were getting worse each year. So naturally after practically a year out injured he's been brought back to play centre again.

At least he should make up for the loss of Gelling's work rate, and with our right edge effectively starved of attacking opportunities anyway he's unlikely to be holding Tom Davies back. Both Sarginson and Davies will trouble defences with their carries next year so that's one positive.

A backline of Tomkins; Davies, Sarginson, Gildart and Burgess is still a very dangerous one.

It is a good backline in attack.  I seem to remember Wane saying things had to change including his own approach.  Going to be interesting watching how Wigan go.

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

It'll be a shame if Gelling goes. The game needs nutters, especially if they're talented nutters.

Spot on.

I know a few Wigan fans who are becoming a bit frustrated with this policy of just bringing ex-players back to the club.

I applaud them for bringing through the number of youngsters that they do, but they need to mix it up with a few established players as well to freshen it up.

The likes of Tommy and Sarginson are hardly going to convince lapsed season ticket holders to come back are they?

I’m amazed by the amount of negativity towards Sarginson on here. He was injured most of last year and whilst he didn’t have the best 2016, the lad is young, still only 24 and plenty of ability and potential. An improvement on Gelling in my opinion, who was more rocks than diamonds 

35 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I’m amazed by the amount of negativity towards Sarginson on here. He was injured most of last year and whilst he didn’t have the best 2016, the lad is young, still only 24 and plenty of ability and potential. An improvement on Gelling in my opinion, who was more rocks than diamonds 

That's a matter of opinion.

Wigan are boring to watch at the best of times, so having someone like Gelling in there serves to liven it up on occasion. Sargison is a typical Wane player. Pretty solid, completely unspectacular, and will play the percentages. 

Archived