Aussie Brad Hill

phildog

So Brad Hill goes down under! His new coach reckons he's got the size and attributes! I thought he had here, along with the other poor devil who never got a shot, Trae. Confused.....

ALBURY Thunder has picked up its second front-rower in the past fortnight with English youngster Brad Hill committing to the Group 9 club.

Hill went through the Bradford Bulls Academy and was recommended to coach Adrian Purtell by his former skipper Matt Diskin.

Brad was looking for a senior opportunity and we’re really excited to have him join us

Adrian Purtell

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/5115050/albury-thunder-sign-young-english-front-rower-brad-hill/

Not a bad club to pick. They are one of the stronger bush clubs. They won the 2012, -13, -14 GFs and there are quite a few Brits who've played in that Comp over the years. Albury-Wodonga has a population of 80K so it's not way out in the sticks.

1 hour ago, phildog said:

So Brad Hill goes down under! His new coach reckons he's got the size and attributes! I thought he had here, along with the other poor devil who never got a shot, Trae. Confused.....

It just goes to show we can look at the same player and see different things. I thought Hill was not up to Championship level. While he tried hard he seemed too slow, lacked the explosive power of our other props, and seemed to lack mobility. 

On 14/12/2017 at 6:22 PM, phildog said:

You puzzle me PD.

On the one hand, you criticise the clubs recruitment, on the other, you complain that players who have been proven to be not good enough, didn't get enough of a chance. How many games do you feel would be sufficient? Did you miss the games Hill and O'Sullivan played in? Without being harsh, neither set the world alight. I felt both got a chance, but proved they weren't quite good enough at this level yet.

Which is not to say Hill won't go to Oz and O'Sullivan get a season or too under his belt at Keighley and develop in to great players, they very well could do. Props don't usually hit the straps until their mid to late 20's. The problem was/is, neither were anywhere near as good as the props we had last season and we could not afford for them to get game time to allow them to develop to get to the required level.

O'Sullivan didn't get a run out in any league game to prove anything, he got on v Rams on Boxing Day and ripped in as far as I was concerned. Hill had about half a dozen games, did no worse than some others were doing when we weren't exactly breaking any pots. How is it that 2 players who got very little time to prove or disprove themselves at Championship level don't get a second chance yet a guy who didn't take any part in the season, Bravo, is well enough thought of despite having a chequered career with discipline in and out of the game to get anew contract? In no way am I trying to stir up a hornet's nest, but you must question any joined up thinking. Bravo had a decent run out also v Rams and looked handy, and due to being unable to take any part in the season through injury I appreciate him getting a second bite, just don't understand why others didn't get a chance when we really off the pace at a certain point of the season, usually reliable guys weren't cutting it but others didn't get a chance. Hope the same doesn't happen this time with Ward and Holland, who I consider to be as good as the retained guys.

I may be wrong PD, but didn't both Hill and O'Sullivan take part in all of the friendlies last season? I thought both played against Keighley and Castleford as well as Boxing Day.

Either way, Hill, whom Diskin thought was the better of the two (judging by game time) played in 5 or 6 games during the regular season. So I ask again, how many games do you think would be sufficient to "prove or disprove" himself?

In my humble opinion, a quarter of a season is more than sufficient in Hill's case.

It's all about the coach's opinions isn't it?

We had a bloke at our place who reckoned Bretherton was no good, despite many of the fans disagreeing strongly. I think that you would be pleased by that coach's decision, just as much as we continue to be displeased by it even after these years.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

7 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

It's all about the coach's opinions isn't it?

We had a bloke at our place who reckoned Bretherton was no good, despite many of the fans disagreeing strongly. I think that you would be pleased by that coach's decision, just as much as we continue to be displeased by it even after these years.

Brev is still one of my all time faves. He was loyal, very underated, never gave less than 100% and despite being despicably treated, never showed any resentment toward the Rams. To me he was the consumate professional (not bad for a part timer), and if we lose on Boxing day by a single try, I hope Brev scores it. As far as I'm concerned, he will always be welcome at the club in any capacity.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Archived