Toronto v Halifax venue

1 hour ago, manu266 said:

Well since both TWP and RFL are still silent on the subject, and I don't expect them to talk in the next 10 days, nothing is confirmed in my book, I'm not cancelling my hotel in Toronto yet.

Oh! Does New River stadium get money if the game is broadcast on Premier? Might as well clarify that point right away...

Im sure a big fat juicy cheque from argyl for the use of a ground will suffice

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Someone will have to explain the logic of that one to me. I get that there's delays with upgrading the ground and I get that there might not be suitable alternatives in Toronto making it necessary to look for a venue in the UK but London Skolars... Really? Other than to reduce amount of fax fans making the trip to limit the atmosphere counting against them I can't see any benefit. 

17 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

London is more of a neutral venue for a Toronto Wolfpack ‘home’ game than any ground in the north of England.

Give over, there are thousands upon thousands of TWP supporters in the North of England waiting patiently to attend the Wolfpack games, why move it away from a ready made market?

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Give over, there are thousands upon thousands of TWP supporters in the North of England waiting patiently to attend the Wolfpack games, why move it away from a ready made market?

Because there are thousands and thousands of Canadians working/living in London who want to see their team play!

They are our market....come on Harry, its common sense...its a home game and we are an international franchise based in Canada.

6 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Because there are thousands and thousands of Canadians working/living in London who want to see their team play!

They are our market....come on Harry, its common sense...its a home game and we are an international franchise based in Canada.

What was the crowd for Skolars v toronto at New River last year? 

8 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

I don’t think it matters really as there’s obviously more potential for Canadian expats to attend a game staged in London than anywhere in the north of England.

I think the obvious thing Toronto would want to avoid is staging a nominal ‘home’ game in the north where any support they might draw would be heavily outnumbered by opposing fans from Halifax.

16 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Don't know the exact figure...it was the first time and there was alot of positive interest, promotional work done by the Wolfpack from Canada House (embassy), really good karma and I think they are looking on building on that....I really believe this venue and TWP angle with Canadians living/working in London with their families has great potential...this is a very good, well thought out, marketing move by the Wolfpack...they are clearly ahead of the curve on this one (again)...this is a long term marketing decision and it will bear fruit...just watch. 

24 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Don't know the exact figure...it was the first time and there was alot of positive interest, promotional work done by the Wolfpack from Canada House (embassy), really good karma and I think they are looking on building on that....I really believe this venue and TWP angle with Canadians living/working in London with their families has great potential...this is a very good, well thought out, marketing move by the Wolfpack...they are clearly ahead of the curve on this one (again)...this is a long term marketing decision and it will bear fruit...just watch. 

What was the rough figure then? I appreciate your optimism but I've heard all this guff about London hundreds of times before. I've heard all about the thousands upon thousands of antipodean and northern exiles just queuing for a chance to see rugby league in London but they very rarely materialise. 

What you can do is look at the Toronto crowd at new river last year, which I'm going to assume was 3 figures based on the general skolars average, the small ground and the fact there would have been a much bigger deal on here if it was a decent crowd(although I welcome corrections from anyone who still has a copy of the 5/3/17 LE lying around) . Then you can remove much of the skolars fans and replace them with any fax fans that will make the trip, and I don't expect that to be more than a couple of hundred max considering they have a home game against Toronto to look forward to anyway. 

10 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

What was the rough figure then? I appreciate your optimism but I've heard all this guff about London hundreds of times before. I've heard all about the thousands upon thousands of antipodean and northern exiles just queuing for a chance to see rugby league in London but they very rarely materialise. 

What you can do is look at the Toronto crowd at new river last year, which I'm going to assume was 3 figures based on the general skolars average, the small ground and the fact there would have been a much bigger deal on here if it was a decent crowd(although I welcome corrections from anyone who still has a copy of the 5/3/17 LE lying around) . Then you can remove much of the skolars fans and replace them with any fax fans that will make the trip, and I don't expect that to be more than a couple of hundred max considering they have a home game against Toronto to look forward to anyway. 

As I said I don't know the previous crowd size, but I'm sure there will be alot more Canadian fans  there this time (weather permitting).  Make no doubt about it, there will be fans from Halifax, Nova Scotia there, thats for sure.  Hoping for a good crowd, bigger than last time, as I said, part of the TWP long term marketing strategy...should be interesting and hoping for the best.  Lots of positives from last time though, thats for sure!

We started at zero last year so its all uphill for us!

21 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Love Rugby League website has the London Skolars v Toronto Wolfpack attendance as 1,524.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

I was at the Skolars match. As I posted on here previously, this match was heavily marketed to Canadian expats in London using social media and they also set up pre match events. Furthermore, the Wolfpack had a strong presence at the Trafalgar Square Canada Day celebrations last July. If they are able to build off those two events, I think they could draw more than the 1,500 from the Skolars match but I don't think New River could hold many more people as the lone stand was very full that day. 

But as of right now, none of that matters as a random Facebook post is far from confirmation. 

If this match is played in London and they go all out on marketing, I hope they are able to find somewhere slightly larger. 

6 minutes ago, manu266 said:

Anyway 1,500 or even 2,000 is still smaller that what they could get in any other Toronto/Hamilton stadium, so again why in the UK? Still waiting for that explanation...

Its a logistical thing.....

11 minutes ago, manu266 said:

Anyway 1,500 or even 2,000 is still smaller that what they could get in any other Toronto/Hamilton stadium, so again why in the UK? Still waiting for that explanation...

No idea. Is the UK even confirmed or is everyone in meltdown mode ( like the Leigh to thread) because it's the closed season and no one has anything better to do?

6 minutes ago, Michael1812 said:

No idea. Is the UK even confirmed or is everyone in meltdown mode ( like the Leigh to thread) because it's the closed season and no one has anything better to do?

Well we have more meat for this one, the statement from Halifax RLFC, an article on League Express and the Nigel Wood's interview which confirmed TWP moving home games to the UK. But if the decision is final on moving to the UK, then again for us Canadians it doesn't matter if it is played in London, Dublin or Tel Aviv, we just want to know why our beautiful stadiums in Canada cannot be used...

8 minutes ago, manu266 said:

Well we have more meat for this one, the statement from Halifax RLFC, an article on League Express and the Nigel Wood's interview which confirmed TWP moving home games to the UK. But if the decision is final on moving to the UK, then again for us Canadians it doesn't matter if it is played in London, Dublin or Tel Aviv, we just want to know why our beautiful stadiums in Canada cannot be used...

You know its logistical and will eventually be worked out in the end...patience, patience...patience is a virtue...patience now.

On 29/12/2017 at 1:35 PM, LeytherRob said:

Thousands do turn up for Australia versus New Zealand games and did for Wigan v Catalan at Millwall actually.

Archived