44 minutes ago, Gavinfrog said:

Ya I watched some of it big class difference , have red star a few quid behind them?

They must have something because they have an Australian and an American playing for them and they are eyeing a place in League 1 in the not too distant future.

rldfsignature.jpg

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gavinfrog said:

Ya I watched some of it big class difference , have red star a few quid behind them?

Yes.  They have 3 imports (players) and an Aussie coach.  They are building towards their goal to apply for League One within 5 years.

Do Partizan and Lokomotiv Sofia have any links to the football side? I know Red Star do. I think this could be a way of developing across Europe, as a lot of European teams run multi sports, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Benfica, Olympiacos etc. Just look at the Basketball Champions League for example. 

1 hour ago, londonrlfan said:

Do Partizan and Lokomotiv Sofia have any links to the football side? I know Red Star do. I think this could be a way of developing across Europe, as a lot of European teams run multi sports, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Benfica, Olympiacos etc. Just look at the Basketball Champions League for example. 

yes of course they do.  You have to in order to use the name and logo etc.  But the tangible help they actually get from the club is minimal to zero.  The main benefit of it is the name, which can be a magnet to some of the fanatics.

Was always going to be hard for anyone facing the Serbian teams first up. The Serbian sides are primed for the start of their season and we're always going to be ruthless.

Potentially, as the BSL continues to grow, maybe the tournament needs to introduce phases (Phase 1: Non-Serbian team group games / Phase 2: Serbian sides join), just to give the opportunity for some of these teams to ramp up...

Anyway, as they say, the best way to learn in sport is to play against those who are better than you. The Badgers will learn a lot from the Red Star game.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

2 hours ago, langpark said:

yes of course they do.  You have to in order to use the name and logo etc.  But the tangible help they actually get from the club is minimal to zero.  The main benefit of it is the name, which can be a magnet to some of the fanatics.

Thanks. Even if there's no money, surely getting RL out to their fans can't be too bad.

Are there any plans to add clubs in Croatia, Macedonia and Slovenia? 

9 hours ago, londonrlfan said:

Thanks. Even if there's no money, surely getting RL out to their fans can't be too bad.

No 'plans' per se.  But people forget that in the last 18 months:  Turkey, Bulgaria, Albiania have all joined and now Montenegro have entered a club in BSL.  That's 4 countries right there, so it is pretty rapid growth.  I just hope they enjoy Rugby League and all stay on long-term.

Albania clearly like it enough for  Albanian Rugby to move wholesale to League.

Sure they may have only had two clubs, but immediately any competition has been removed for League in the country.

They are also actively working on getting Kosovo over.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

2 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

Sure they may have only had two clubs, but immediately any competition has been removed for League in the country.

Do you have a reference to this Yak?

rldfsignature.jpg

4 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

Interesting, although these poorer countries are better off focusing on league than union imo. 

I'm not sure adding a team from Kosovo is a good idea. 

They need to be careful not to grow too much too quickly. It's a costly exercise with the travel and letting teams in with minimal experience can have an adverse effect. I'm all for expansion but scores of 100 - 0 is not going to help anyone, least of all the winners. They may need to look at a qualifying/knock out comp

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

They need to be careful not to grow too much too quickly. It's a costly exercise with the travel and letting teams in with minimal experience can have an adverse effect. I'm all for expansion but scores of 100 - 0 is not going to help anyone, least of all the winners. They may need to look at a qualifying/knock out comp

That is indeed true.  It's very much an experiment at this stage in many ways.  I believe the Greek teams will show a bit more resistance than what we've seen so far, but I still expect 50-point margins when they face the Serbian sides.  The final 4 will certainly be an all-Serbian affair, which, from an expense point of view I suppose is a good thing.

• 2 weeks later...

The thing is when the RU WC first started 30 years ago we saw similar scores. If run properly the rugby league world will look much different than it is today.

The RU pro 14 is a great concept if the funding was there then teams from Ire, Sco, Wal, Fra with a smattering of Balkan teams could see great progress in the international scene.

59 minutes ago, 2blackrooks said:

The thing is when the RU WC first started 30 years ago we saw similar scores. If run properly the rugby league world will look much different than it is today.

And RU stuck with it, despite some teams getting hammered again and again. Some of those minnows have got stronger through competition. Naturally, some haven't, and they still get regular hammerings, but their international scene grew and strengthened overall.

Rugby League shouldn't have a knee-jerk reaction to lopsided scorelines. This is one of those things we actually can and should learn from the other code. You only improve by being challenged, not by constantly playing at your own level.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 3/25/2018 at 11:05 PM, londonrlfan said:

Macedonia has been included on extended lists of RLIF 'observers' in the past along with all sorts of other dubious nations, although I don't think there has ever actually been any activity there. Croatia is the final frontier in the region really, the story is that they were the ones who shut down and banned the original Serbian RL back in the 1950s, forcing them to switch to RU and killing the sport in the region until it was revived in the early 2000s.

9 hours ago, Futtocks said:

And RU stuck with it, despite some teams getting hammered again and again. Some of those minnows have got stronger through competition. Naturally, some haven't, and they still get regular hammerings, but their international scene grew and strengthened overall.

Rugby League shouldn't have a knee-jerk reaction to lopsided scorelines. This is one of those things we actually can and should learn from the other code. You only improve by being challenged, not by constantly playing at your own level.

Thing that is different with our code is that the stronger team will always win by a lot, Unions rules allows for a slow technical boring game of 8 forwards wrapping up the ball and the fly half kicking for touch.; our game allows none of that really which is a problem when pitting 2 sides of varying strengths against each other.

9 hours ago, iangidds said:

Thing that is different with our code is that the stronger team will always win by a lot, Unions rules allows for a slow technical boring game of 8 forwards wrapping up the ball and the fly half kicking for touch.; our game allows none of that really which is a problem when pitting 2 sides of varying strengths against each other.

Rugby Union also allows for the more experienced team to more effectively con the referee and play for penalties than their opponents.

Hence the blow-out scores seen in that code's internationals when full-time professionals play puffed-up pub sides.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The hope is overtime as in RU teams will become stronger and the gap lessens. At the moment the international scene is a joke, one Irish player Liam Finn wrote in the mirror about how Ireland have no idea when there next game is,

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/international-rugby-league-needs-give-11836918

And Oliver Roberts in Total RL

http://www.totalrl.com/oliver-roberts-calls-for-professional-irish-team-after-receiving-touching-letter-from-exiled-teenager/

16 hours ago, 2blackrooks said:

The hope is overtime as in RU teams will become stronger and the gap lessens. At the moment the international scene is a joke, one Irish player Liam Finn wrote in the mirror about how Ireland have no idea when there next game is,

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/international-rugby-league-needs-give-11836918

And Oliver Roberts in Total RL

http://www.totalrl.com/oliver-roberts-calls-for-professional-irish-team-after-receiving-touching-letter-from-exiled-teenager/

Maybe they should ask their governing body.

rldfsignature.jpg

Archived