Do bigger stadium means bigger crowds?

38 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Absolutely not.

You need a good product both on field and the event experience to draw people in but that doesn't determine the amount of people you will get either. Why doesn't every club in Spain have a near 100,000K stadium like Barcelona? there is a life lesson here, live within your means. a smaller stadium near full capacity is much better that a large stadium half empty.

Not sure about the current names of the stadiums but I wonder if any of our Aussie posters could tell us what’s the deal with stadium Australia and the SFS in terms of attracting poor NRL match day attendances. Are they just poorly located miles from residential areas and with poor transport links?

ANZ/Homebush/Olympic/Australia stadium is way out. Frankly its ridiculous the number of teams that play there as their "home ground". The one that has always irked me the most is Souths who should be playing in South Sydney with a packed (if not 80k capacity) stadium. Essentially there is little "walk up" crowd for any team and atmosphere on gameday (bar GF and origin) is lacklustre. 

SFS/Allianz is slightly different. Its not inaccessible, at the top of the hill with the major train station at the bottom. The problem here is that the Roosters just don't have the regular attendee fanbase for a 40k stadium. Its an extreme case of what man city are mocked for at the Etihad these days.

The team beneftting most from this investment is Parra. They'll get a reasonably sized stadium they'll share with the football team close to their fans. 

Bigger grounds = bigger crowds if you actually create scarcity of events rather than some kind of conveyor belt of repetition.

For example, if Hull v Hull KR was the flagship home game of the 2018 season then you would be testing the capacity of a 25k stadium. If you play them in a pointless friendly in January, then Easter (a), then Magic (n), then July (home again), then possibly the 8s (h) - then no stadium size is going to help you our there. In fact you then struggle to sell out smaller stadiums.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

ANZ/Homebush/Olympic/Australia stadium is way out. Frankly its ridiculous the number of teams that play there as their "home ground". The one that has always irked me the most is Souths who should be playing in South Sydney with a packed (if not 80k capacity) stadium. Essentially there is little "walk up" crowd for any team and atmosphere on gameday (bar GF and origin) is lacklustre. 

SFS/Allianz is slightly different. Its not inaccessible, at the top of the hill with the major train station at the bottom. The problem here is that the Roosters just don't have the regular attendee fanbase for a 40k stadium. Its an extreme case of what man city are mocked for at the Etihad these days.

The team beneftting most from this investment is Parra. They'll get a reasonably sized stadium they'll share with the football team close to their fans. 

Makes you wonder why the NSW government don’t just redevelop the SFS to around 70000-80000 and make it the sole major Sydney stadium and build/redevelop 2-3 medium sized 30000-40000 stadiums like parramatta and maybe bankstown.

46 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Makes you wonder why the NSW government don’t just redevelop the SFS to around 70000-80000 and make it the sole major Sydney stadium and build/redevelop 2-3 medium sized 30000-40000 stadiums like parramatta and maybe bankstown.

I think there's a lot of politics at play here either way. But I agree, redeveloped local grounds would be far better than an arguably unnecessary redo of ANZ.

2 minutes ago, PeterTunks said:

dzLFLQn.jpg2tbdsVS.jpg

With the upper level tarped off, the new SFS will have a 30k capacity. Otherwise it's 45k. The Olympic stadium will be rebuilt as a 75k rectangular stadium for Origin, playoffs and maybe even internationals, if they ever catch the Aussie RL fans' imagination

I don't get the capacity reduction of ANZ. Well apart from the cynical "AFL" won't be able to be played there now thing. 

Origin and the GF easily push ANZ's capacity now, I guess the fact suncorp will still not challenge its capacity despite and almost 10k reduction will have played a factor.

25 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Odsal once held 103,000.

Sadly, these days, we struggle to get 25% of that.

;)

social habits change for various reasons local cinemas went there used to be fish n chip shops on every street corner now very few . Pubs are now going the same way

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

7 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

social habits change for various reasons local cinemas went there used to be fish n chip shops on every street corner now very few . Pubs are now going the same way

Thankfully, Bradford city centre has had a pubs boom over the last couple of years. Quite a few are set in former shops and most sell good quality craft beer.

Unfortunately, the demographics of the city means there is an ongoing decline in the number of traditional pubs in the suburbs. The ones that survive do it by fostering a teatime trade and putting music on at weekends. We have some good local bands getting gigs.

Swings and roundabouts.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

20 hours ago, PeterTunks said:

74NpAX2.jpg8TNccJh.jpgdzLFLQn.jpg2tbdsVS.jpg

With the upper level tarped off, the new SFS will have a 30k capacity. Otherwise it's 45k. The Olympic stadium will be rebuilt as a 75k rectangular stadium for Origin, playoffs and maybe even internationals, if they ever catch the Aussie RL fans' imagination

ANZ is proposed to have a similar system with tarps/LED bands over top decks meaning several different capacities depending on the event. This makes you wonder why the SFS needs to be anything more then 30k as the Roosters, Waratahs and Sydney FC don't need it and any 30-45k union or football internationals could be held at ANZ.

30 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Will the new Headingley stand have tarpaulins on? It will make the games more interesting for fans.

;)

No idea but one would hope that anyone building a new stadium would consider the latest developments... whether they decide to adopt the latest developments is fine providing they have considered pro/con.  

Unfortunately I tend to think our RL strategic,commercial and forward thinking nous is not all it should be in our RL leaders here. That may well be a unfair comment and this forum be influence my less than complimentary thoughts.

On 17/12/2017 at 9:55 PM, Tommygilf said:

ANZ is close to the demographic centre of Sydney and has a dedicated train line.

People don’t like it because the action is too far from the seats. It’s a a multi purpose stadium that can host AFL and cricket matches so when in rectangular mode it’s compromised. Rain protection is also rubbish.

The train line also doesn’t link up as easy as it could with other train lines. The traffic in Sydney is also horrendous.

SFS is in the far East of Sydney. If it rains the rain protection is appalling.

Add 6pm Friday games and you’ll have a bunch of reasons why TV ratings are great but attendances are not.

13 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Odsal once held 103,000.

Sadly, these days, we struggle to get 25% of that.

;)

I'd suggest you struggle to get even 10% of that....very sad. 

Re this topic - I think most new build stadiums in SL have been about right in recent years in terms of capacity. When the Cas stadium does finally get built would've liked to have seen that be a little more ambitious than the 10/12k i'm lead to believe it will be. 

It's obvious that 'bigger' games have higher attendances, so with that in mind I reckon if you make your stadium capacity around around 30% higher than your average attendance then that'll feel about right - allows for larger gates for bigger games and running at about 70% full regularly doesn't make the stadium look too big. 

Bradford, along with Leeds, must have the highest density of population in West Yorkshire but unfortunately the Bulls are located in an area which, in present days, has no interest in the game whatsoever. Similar circumstances affect attendances at Wakefield Trinity. Nowt we can do about it, I am afraid.

17 minutes ago, saddleworth said:

Bradford, along with Leeds, must have the highest density of population in West Yorkshire but unfortunately the Bulls are located in an area which, in present days, has no interest in the game whatsoever. Similar circumstances affect attendances at Wakefield Trinity. Nowt we can do about it, I am afraid.

Just follow the NRL example

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/a/36767429/broadcasters-caught-using-old-video-to-fake-nrl-crowds/

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Archived