Fiji Sun: Denver Test scrapped, NZ to play Fiji in Sydney June 2018

Abicus

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Let’s be honest, England v New Zealand in a 75k stadium in Denver was a bonkers idea

Only one of the reports which I've see claimed that using Mile High Stadium was in the plan, there are other options in Denver.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was never going to be the Mile High stadium. Was going to be the 18k Glendale  Rugby (union) stadium. 

A real shame but opposition for NZ traveling and England traveling down under looks to have scuppered. Was strange that Fiji weren’t scheduled in the triple header mid season that has already been announced, so this explains it. I hope maybe England Ireland could still fulfill the fixture if Mr Moore is willing to stump up the cash. I think I read Nigel Wood talking about 2 mid-season fixtures, so even if an Ireland game is in the UK, and we play France, something to look forward to before the Kiwis arrive.

It's just been pointed out on LU that the headline on that Fijian sun website says

"Confirmed! Bati v NZ 2"

could it be new Zealand 'A' and we're all blowing upover nothing??

Nz 'A' playing would fall into line with the knights playing and mal meninga wanting Australia 'A to play games??

Just a thought

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

2 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

It's just been pointed out on LU that the headline on that Fijian sun website says

"Confirmed! Bati v NZ 2"

could it be new Zealand 'A' and we're all blowing upover nothing??

Nz 'A' playing would fall into line with the knights playing and mal meninga wanting Australia 'A to play games??

Just a thought

Lol I think they mean it in terms of Rocky II (i.e. a rematch).

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

If New Zealand play Fiji in Sydney next year, I won't be supporting international Rugby League any more.

I'll find something more worthwhile to spend my money on.

I'm good with concessions as a means to an end - things like staging games in neutral territory as no other alternative, or heritage players etc. but not this nonsense.

It was bad enough that England played Samoa in Sydney last year, but I' fast losing interest.

I am beginning to feel the same. I love international Rugby League but am becoming thoroughly frustrated and disillusioned with how how it is run. One great World Cup every 4 years just isn't enough and in some ways is beginning to feel like a con and charade just to placate people.

I feel the international game has basically wasted the last 10 years or so as it is, since the 2008 World Cup,  and could be in a much stronger place now if the correct decisions been made. Every piece of news regarding internationals next year has been precisely what I didn't want to hear and is just more if the same bs. If there is no proper progression to it year on year until the next World Cup then what is the point, other than seemingly so the NRL can sell international Pacific Tests as part of their precious TV deal and make even more money.  

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I am beginning to feel the same. I love international Rugby League but am becoming thoroughly frustrated and disillusioned with how how it is run. One great World Cup every 4 years just isn't enough and in some ways is beginning to feel like a con and charade just to placate people.

I feel the international game has basically wasted the last 10 years or so as it is, since the 2008 World Cup,  and could be in a much stronger place now if the correct decisions been made. Every piece of news regarding internationals next year has been precisely what I didn't want to hear and is just more if the same bs. If there is no proper progression to it year on year until the next World Cup then what is the point, other than seemingly so the NRL can sell international Pacific Tests as part of their precious TV deal and make even more money.  

You forgot to add "and to play them in Sydney so Fox Sports can just roll their cameras down the road".

8 hours ago, Abicus said:

Source: https://fijisun.com.fj/2017/12/19/confirmed-bati-v-nz-2/

England to not play a Test Match until, um October 2018 then? Someone wheel out France for a Mid Season Test with UK only based players?

No more England Knights a for the home nations, just England?

11 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

We're Knights of the Round Table,
We dance when ere we're able,
We do routines and chorus scenes
With footwork impeccable.
We dine well here in Camelot,
We eat ham and jam and spam a lot!

La la la la la

After reading that Screw England and bring on the Knights!!!!

3 hours ago, JoneslessBishop said:

Was never going to be the Mile High stadium. Was going to be the 18k Glendale  Rugby (union) stadium. 

A real shame but opposition for NZ traveling and England traveling down under looks to have scuppered. Was strange that Fiji weren’t scheduled in the triple header mid season that has already been announced, so this explains it. I hope maybe England Ireland could still fulfill the fixture if Mr Moore is willing to stump up the cash. I think I read Nigel Wood talking about 2 mid-season fixtures, so even if an Ireland game is in the UK, and we play France, something to look forward to before the Kiwis arrive.

More than likely the cash was contingent on New Zealand playing considering that they represent the same country as the one "rugby" team of any description which the general sports fan in North America has ever heard of (the All Blacks) and therefore would be a good draw.

7 hours ago, Spidey said:

WTF are NZ doing playing a test in Sydney?

The game is run by idiots

This. No wonder the crowds are poor in NZ because the NZ public never get to see the kiwis. The kiwis need to build a rapport and a presence with the sporting fans of NZ instead of playing a match there every 2-3 years.

24 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

More than likely the cash was contingent on New Zealand playing considering that they represent the same country as the one "rugby" team of any description which the general sports fan in North America has ever heard of (the All Blacks) and therefore would be a good draw.

Moore would probably offer a lower rate, but rugby is perceived as being very Irish and would have a draw. Even $200-300k would be huge for Ireland and the sort of seed money they need for their year 1 plan (dometic comp), with year 3 being a League 1 team. At the end of the day Moore wants to show he can hold an event. England v ireland could be that.

I understand some of the negativity but I think mid season tests should be played in your own hemisphere. England vs Ireland and France with maybe Scotland vs Wales and possibly Italy could be played mid season. 

NZ vs Fiji, Tonga vs Samoa and possibly PNG vs Cook Islands or Lebanon as well as Origin provides a lot to look forward to IMO

52 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I understand some of the negativity but I think mid season tests should be played in your own hemisphere. England vs Ireland and France with maybe Scotland vs Wales and possibly Italy could be played mid season. 

NZ vs Fiji, Tonga vs Samoa and possibly PNG vs Cook Islands or Lebanon as well as Origin provides a lot to look forward to IMO

That may be worthy of debate, however it just shows the sport to be small time. Would that mean England couldnt hav3 their NRL players fly over?

Also you are just having limited teams and players unfairly missing out just because they play club rugby on the other side of the world.

The world is a small place, everyone else accepts that now.

1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

Is Lebanon now in the SH? 

rldfsignature.jpg

12 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Don't be a smart ######. You know why I included them

To be fair though, it just makes a mockery of your proposal.

You can't say that countries should play in their own continent and then caveat it so that they can play in Sydney if they have more Aussies than locals.

You are basically just supporting the current position of NRL only supporting internationals if they are in Sydney.

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

To be fair though, it just makes a mockery of your proposal.

You can't say that countries should play in their own continent and then caveat it so that they can play in Sydney if they have more Aussies than locals.

You are basically just supporting the current position of NRL only supporting internationals if they are in Sydney.

It is a right royal mess Dave. We should have seen this coming. That is what happens when you cannot nail down agreements of more than a year. The NRL wanted an Origin on a weekend so their players didn't miss an NRL game before hand and have to back up straight after. All the stuff about Pacific internationals and International windows was a convenient side show. The NRL really didn't give a stuff if it came off and don't give a stuff if NRL clubs are crying foul about it. Cameron Smith will be available and fit for 2 more Melbourne games and Boyd Cordner 2 more for the Roosters.

57 minutes ago, Scubby said:

It is a right royal mess Dave. We should have seen this coming. That is what happens when you cannot nail down agreements of more than a year. The NRL wanted an Origin on a weekend so their players didn't miss an NRL game before hand and have to back up straight after. All the stuff about Pacific internationals and International windows was a convenient side show. The NRL really didn't give a stuff if it came off and don't give a stuff if NRL clubs are crying foul about it. Cameron Smith will be available and fit for 2 more Melbourne games and Boyd Cordner 2 more for the Roosters.

I think many of us did see all of this coming. It seems to be the powers that be that blindly walk in to these things. 

Archived