Fiji Sun: Denver Test scrapped, NZ to play Fiji in Sydney June 2018

Abicus

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

There really is no point discussing anything with you, you’re as bad as Parksider. I’ve presented evidence showing that the NRL were openly proposing and discussing a mid season international window and you still choose to ignore it. There are plenty of other articles if you choose to do your research but I expect you will continue with your blissful ignorance

But you haven't presented that evidence, if you did maybe I'd change my mind, but you haven't.

And if their are so many other articles with evidence of it then cool show it, cause I haven't seen it, maybe it's cause I've mainly looked in Aussie media, or because it's hidden in articles that ostensibly are about other things, I don't know, but if it exists show it.

All you've shown is an un-sourced fan written article and another article that quotes Dave Smith that upon re-reading it doesn't actually say anything about a mid-season rep window at all (I shouldn't have skimmed it last time), the only talk of an international window in that article is this one line- 

This will shift international games to a dedicated window after the NRL season.

And even then the line isn't a quote from anybody at the NRL.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

As i said in my post i dont think its the entire rugby league world v the NRL clubs. Because its not all NRL clubs. Its a few backward clubs who havent yet come to terms with the fact its 2017 and rugby league is no longer overweight men watching local butcher with a pint of weak nitro-lager and a meat pie play the next parish, all funded by gambling addicts. They are dinosaurs, they are dying out. They are gone, their concerns will be ignored and the game will move away from them. The only question is how long we allow them to hold the game back before we leave them in the tap room to whinge and moan and relitigate a decades old Super League war that nobody cares about. 

Ahh ok mate, more tangents then...

Still haven't explained how or why the "rugby league world" is going to split off from the NRL when all of the most competitive and valuable brands apart from England are all completely reliant on the NRL for their existence, unless they can find a new sugar daddy they'll die if they split from the NRL.

I would find it interesting to know which NRL clubs you think are the backwards and which you don't think are backwards?

Cause man the suggestion that the New Limited corporate behemoths that are the Broncos are forward thinking is hilarious? Seriously do you know anything about their endeavours to stop any and all expansion into SEQ over their existence?

15 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

But you haven't presented that evidence, if you did maybe I'd change my mind, but you haven't.

And if their are so many other articles with evidence of it then cool show it, cause I haven't seen it, maybe it's cause I've mainly looked in Aussie media, or because it's hidden in articles that ostensibly are about other things, I don't know, but if it exists show it.

All you've shown is an un-sourced fan written article and another article that quotes Dave Smith that upon re-reading it doesn't actually say anything about a mid-season rep window at all (I shouldn't have skimmed it last time), the only talk of an international window in that article is this one line- 

And even then the line isn't a quote from anybody at the NRL.

As you are now trolling, I’m going to block you. For your own sake, instead of looking like a moron, do some research. Everyone was talking about it in 2015, it’s convenient how certain people ‘forget’ now that the RFL want to hold a test in Denver

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/71002994/anzac-test-dead-but-kiwis-and-kangaroos-will-still-meet-on-the-field

14 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

As you are now trolling, I’m going to block you. For your own sake, instead of looking like a moron, do some research. Everyone was talking about it in 2015, it’s convenient how certain people ‘forget’ now that the RFL want to hold a test in Denver

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/71002994/anzac-test-dead-but-kiwis-and-kangaroos-will-still-meet-on-the-field

What are you on about mate, I'm starting to think that you are the one that is trolling...

Where in this- 

Anzac test dead but Kiwis and Kangaroos will still meet on the field

DAVID LONG

Last updated 18:51, August 10 2015

The Anzac test is gone but the NRL has confirmed to New Zealand Rugby League that the Kangaroos will play the Kiwis at the end of every season.

The NZRL were left in the dark about the NRL's announcement on Monday when it revealed a new broadcasting deal with Channel Nine from 2018.

The new contract, which puts games on free to air in Australia four nights a week, has led to the removal of the Anzac test window, which had been in place since 1997.

The news left the NZRL in an embarrassing position, especially given they weren't informed of the deal by their Australian counterparts and six hours after the announcement was made, were still waiting to speak to someone from the NRL.

"The news today has taken us a little bit by surprise," NZRL CEO Phil Holden said. "I don't know the implications for the Anzac test. Everybody is jumping to conclusions based on the statement that was released by them.

"We haven't been able to speak to anybody, so I don't know.

"We have reached out to try to seek some clarity on the implications of that, but to date we haven't had a response."

However, shortly after finishing a conference call with New Zealand media at 5pm, Holden received an email from NRL boss Dave Smith, clarifying the situation. While the NRL no longer want a mid-season test against their trans-Tasman neighbours, they are committed to test football against New Zealand.

"We got an email from David Smith confirming that the mid-season test is definitely gone, but committing to play New Zealand at the end of the year," Holden said.

"Through this deal, they have actually gained some control over the schedule, which could lead to more test matches being played in New Zealand, and at times that are more acceptable from a commercial and fan perspective. That's a real positive for us.

"We have had some consultation with the NRL and have been working quite closely with them on the shape of their season, so we've had some visibility of the overall picture, but today, we have been reacting to this piece of it."

When the new deal comes into place in 2018, it opens up the possibility of the Kiwis playing a midweek test against a different nation during a stand alone State of Origin week. 

Holden flagged the possibility of playing England then, however, there isn't any window currently in the Super League season for such a fixture, so it's more likely that the Kiwis would play one of the Pacific Nations.

But as the Kiwis rarely play in New Zealand these days, and won't have a test on home soil at all in 2015, it's a positive to have in place an opportunity to play one test mid year - and a game against Samoa or Tonga would be sure to draw a huge crowd in Auckland.

Also, the NRL will have more control over when Kangaroos games are played meaning it will be the NRL and NZRL who decide when games kick off, rather than the Australian broadcaster.

In 2014, the Four Nations final started at 8.45pm at the insistence of Channel Nine.

"The NRL appears to have been quite strategic in how they're allocating their TV rights," Holden said.  "That leaves some scope for us to achieve a better result when those international rights are discussed."

is there anything about a mid season international window?

Further more where is there any statement in that article about a mid season international window from the NRL? 

Seriously I want to know which part of this article you think supports you're argument?

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

You mean like the one offering a cool million to play a test in Denver? looks like we found what we need.

Not sure what you are responding to here, but a "cool million" isn't very much money.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

The Super League war is over buddy, its been over a long time. Nobody cares anymore

You're the only one talking about the SL war...

I'd still be interested to know which NRL clubs you think are the backwards and which you think are "forward thinking"?

2 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

What are you on about mate, I'm starting to think that you are the one that is trolling...

Where in this- 

is there anything about a mid season international window?

Further more where is there any statement in that article about a mid season international window from the NRL? 

Seriously I want to know which part of this article you think supports you're argument?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/71002994/anzac-test-dead-but-kiwis-and-kangaroos-will-still-meet-on-the-field

When the new deal comes into place in 2018, it opens up the possibility of the Kiwis playing a midweek test against a different nation during a stand alone State of Origin week. 

Holden (NZRL) flagged the possibility of playing England then, however, there isn't any window currently in the Super League season for such a fixture, so it's more likely that the Kiwis would play one of the Pacific Nations.

But as the Kiwis rarely play in New Zealand these days, and won't have a test on home soil at all in 2015, it's a positive to have in place an opportunity to play one test mid year - and a game against Samoa or Tonga would be sure to draw a huge crowd in Auckland.

Now SL has created a window that allies directly with this. So far from it being an England initiative, this is the RFL responding directly to an opportunity created by the NRL and NZRL

On 22/12/2017 at 4:44 PM, The Great Dane said:

I don't necessarily disagree with everything that you say, but I would remind you that the quickest way to improve is to play the best, to play the best in RL you need the SH teams, to get the SH you need the NRL.

I'd also suggest that even if you did go ahead and cut the NRL out and the NH teams were starting to improve that wouldn't stop the SH teams from improving as well and you've got a huge gap to make up, you'd be playing catch up from the start and I see no reason to believe that you could catch up, unless huge investment into the sport pours in from NA, but at that point the NA competitions and clubs would take the place of the NRL clubs in resisting internationals, so you'd be back at square one eventually anyway. 

Everything is much more complex then you guys think.

You must understand that the upset at this decision is not anti-Australianism as you insist on taking it.  It is possible to not like something done by an Australian authority without being anti-Australian. 

Furthermore, non-Australains have very right to their own opinion.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/71002994/anzac-test-dead-but-kiwis-and-kangaroos-will-still-meet-on-the-field

Holden (NZRL) flagged the possibility of playing England then, however, there isn't any window currently in the Super League season for such a fixture, so it's more likely that the Kiwis would play one of the Pacific Nations.

Now SL has created a window that allies directly with this. So far from it being an England initiative, this is the RFL responding directly to an opportunity created by the NRL and NZRL

You’re wasting your time mate, Dave Smith talked about it a number of times when the new tv deal was being done but it doesn’t suit his agenda so it didn’t exist, even when in black and white. Better off blocking them 

12 hours ago, Scubby said:

That's not a quote from the NRL, that isn't even a quote from the NZRL, at best it's speculation.

It's also not talk of a sanctioned international window created by the NRL, RFL, and RLIF in tandem, it's a suggestion observably by the writer cause it isn't a quote of Mr Holden, that the Super League could create a window in their season that matches up with the NRL's rep window that could be used by the NZRL and RFL to play internationals.

The suggestion that it is the RFL directly responding to an opportunity created by the NRL (the NZRL don't have the power to change NRL scheduling) is it's self speculation, speculation that doesn't necessarily place intent on the NRL anyway, and ludicrous speculation considering that the whole reason that the NRL got rid of the ANZAC test was cause the clubs didn't like internationals being played during the season, or more specifically internationals with players that they consider important to their clubs played during the season (for some speculation of my own, I reckon that it wont be long before the clubs want the Pacific Tests moved to the end of the season as well).

I keep being told that there're heaps of quotes from Smith talking about an international window, why can't anybody show one of them? That'd be better evidence then this, even considering that Smith was gotten rid of by the clubs because of ideas like this one. 

12 hours ago, Bob8 said:

You must understand that the upset at this decision is not anti-Australianism as you insist on taking it.  It is possible to not like something done by an Australian authority without being anti-Australian. 

Furthermore, non-Australains have very right to their own opinion.

I don't think that everybody on here is anti-Australian (more realistically anti-NRL) but some of them most definitely are, where that comes from I don't really know or care, but wherever it comes from it's not helpful and actually makes achieving their goals harder, and broadly speaking I share their goals so making reaching those goals harder isn't in my interest.

Some of the other people are simply miss informed, or are stuck in a bubble and aren't exposed to other ideas or the other side enough, some are just lazy and it's easier to accept that it's all the NRL and Aussie RL fans fault then it is to actually look at what they and/or the RFL can do to change things for the better.

It's not black and white, it isn't bad guys and good guys, that has been the whole problem with theses discussions from the start, their're people out there who want to make it black and white when it's not, and once you do that any concern put forward from 'the dark side' is dismissed as a non issue that 'the dark side' is throwing out there to cause issues and delay the ascendance of the 'good side' and they're ideas that can be ignored, when that simply isn't the case. 

Ignoring or ridiculing the NRL and/or it's club's concerns isn't going to help international RL it's just going to put another roadblock up for the sport and make it that much harder to make international RL successful, it's much quicker and easier to attempt to come to some sort of compromise, but nobody is willing to do that...

23 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

BTW, the idea that Brisbane is a forward thinking club is hilarious, and shows that you don't have a ###### clue what the landscape is like in Australia. Do you know about their back handed deals to ban expansion into SEQ and Brisbane respectively? Do you know why the first GC team was based in Tweed Heads (NSW) and not on the GC? Have herd of the South Queensland Crushers and what happened to them? Have you heard of the GC Chargers and why they were wrapped up? Do you know about how Brisbane backed by News limited sacrificed most of the expansion clubs after the SL war to put themselves into a better position? Do you know why the last time the NRL expanded it expanded to the GC and not to Brisbane?

Can you link any proof to any of that?

That's all Sydney traditionalist urban legend to show people what happens when you let clubs outside of Sydney into "their game". The Broncos are the boogey man under the bed looking to destroy rugby league as we know it. 

Why was the first GC team in Tweed Heads? Because clubs were run on poker machines back then and Seagulls was one of the biggest leagues clubs in that region at the time.  People would travel from Brisbane to tweed so they could play the pokies there and see the entertainment. They still do. Seagulls was established in 1909 so it was around for a long time before it entered into the NSWRL and is one of the oldest RL clubs in Australian history. They use to play Union at the start. They entered at the as the Giants then changed names to the seagulls then bought out by a different dude and change to the Gladiators.  

They were on the Tweed/Gold Coast because it was an old club with money in a rugby league city with no rugby league franchise. It had nothing to do with the Brisbane Broncos. A lot of franchises have failed on the gold coast, not just rugby league. All sports. Its might be because of the surfer culture down there were people are more interested in the waves then the sports or it might be because of a lot of immigration has a lot of people there who do not know anything about Australian sports.  

https://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/sport-focus/2015/07/09/gold-coast-australias-sporting-graveyard/

"History shows almost every national sporting code that has tried to establish a permanent foothold on the Gold Coast has struggled and eventually failed" 

Are the Broncos responsible for the AFL, Basketball, Baseball, Rugby Union and Ice Hocky Teams that have failed there also? 

The Crushers, Adelaide Rams, Hunter Mariners, Western Reds all were wrapped up because to many Sydney Clubs where not going anywhere and someone had to go to fit into the new competition when the Super League and ARL re-formed together to create the NRL. 11 clubs in NSW, a couple merged, one got kicked out and put back in but they stayed and the new guys, the expansion clubs were exterminated to make room. It was a terrible decision. We had done all that expansion, all the hard work and just threw it away so Sydney could remain overpopulated with too many clubs. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_League_war

Creation of the National Rugby League

"With twenty-two teams playing in two competitions in 1997, crowd attendances and corporate sponsorships were spread very thinly, and many teams found themselves in financial difficulty. On 23 September 1997, the ARL announced that it was forming a new company to control the competition in 1998 and invited Super League clubs to participate" 

"The conditions of this merger controversially included an agreement to reduce the number of teams competing in the NRL to 14 by the year 2000"

The Broncos had a heap to do with the Super League war, but they were the ones on the side of expansion. It was an ugly ugly time for our sport and the Broncos were responsible for a fair part of the damage done, but to say they or John Ribot the creator of them and Melbourne the 2 most powerful expansion sides ever were anti-expansion is kind of silly. 

They did back handed deals to end those other clubs you mentioned? When? Who were these deals with and where is your proof? These backhanded deals wouldn't have been with Quail or Arthurson, they hated Ribot and the Broncos and would have loved to see them fail. As I said before they are the blame magnet for angry Sydney people who preferred the NSWRL never expanded outside of Sydney. They did their fair share of bad things but not half as much as the Sydney hardheads would have you believe. 

3 hours ago, B rad said:

That's all Sydney traditionalist urban legend to show people what happens when you let clubs outside of Sydney into "their game". The Broncos are the boogey man under the bed looking to destroy rugby league as we know it. 

Why was the first GC team in Tweed Heads? Because clubs were run on poker machines back then and Seagulls was one of the biggest leagues clubs in that region at the time.  People would travel from Brisbane to tweed so they could play the pokies there and see the entertainment. They still do. Seagulls was established in 1909 so it was around for a long time before it entered into the NSWRL and is one of the oldest RL clubs in Australian history. They use to play Union at the start. They entered at the as the Giants then changed names to the seagulls then bought out by a different dude and change to the Gladiators.  

They were on the Tweed/Gold Coast because it was an old club with money in a rugby league city with no rugby league franchise. It had nothing to do with the Brisbane Broncos. A lot of franchises have failed on the gold coast, not just rugby league. All sports. Its might be because of the surfer culture down there were people are more interested in the waves then the sports or it might be because of a lot of immigration has a lot of people there who do not know anything about Australian sports.  

https://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/sport-focus/2015/07/09/gold-coast-australias-sporting-graveyard/

"History shows almost every national sporting code that has tried to establish a permanent foothold on the Gold Coast has struggled and eventually failed" 

Are the Broncos responsible for the AFL, Basketball, Baseball, Rugby Union and Ice Hocky Teams that have failed there also? 

The Crushers, Adelaide Rams, Hunter Mariners, Western Reds all were wrapped up because to many Sydney Clubs where not going anywhere and someone had to go to fit into the new competition when the Super League and ARL re-formed together to create the NRL. 11 clubs in NSW, a couple merged, one got kicked out and put back in but they stayed and the new guys, the expansion clubs were exterminated to make room. It was a terrible decision. We had done all that expansion, all the hard work and just threw it away so Sydney could remain overpopulated with too many clubs. 

"With twenty-two teams playing in two competitions in 1997, crowd attendances and corporate sponsorships were spread very thinly, and many teams found themselves in financial difficulty. On 23 September 1997, the ARL announced that it was forming a new company to control the competition in 1998 and invited Super League clubs to participate" 

"The conditions of this merger controversially included an agreement to reduce the number of teams competing in the NRL to 14 by the year 2000"

The Broncos had a heap to do with the Super League war, but they were the ones on the side of expansion. It was an ugly ugly time for our sport and the Broncos were responsible for a fair part of the damage done, but to say they or John Ribot the creator of them and Melbourne the 2 most powerful expansion sides ever were anti-expansion is kind of silly. 

They did back handed deals to end those other clubs you mentioned? When? Who were these deals with and where is your proof? These backhanded deals wouldn't have been with Quail or Arthurson, they hated Ribot and the Broncos and would have loved to see them fail. As I said before they are the blame magnet for angry Sydney people who preferred the NSWRL never expanded outside of Sydney. They did their fair share of bad things but not half as much as the Sydney hardheads would have you believe. 

The Bronco's have had the good fortune to be in a one team city for most of their existence with a population of 2.3 million.

Maybe they have been just lucky?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 hour ago, B rad said:

I don't really have time to swim through the internet to find stuff from the late 80s, 90s, and early 00s right now, but I know for a fact that you can find what you're looking for on League Unlimited in the expansion forum in threads about Brisbane and SEQ in general.

But you're partly right and partly wrong in that pretty much everything that you say is true, and in that pretty much everything I said is true also.

The Giants were set up in Tweed heads because of the Seagulls being the rich leagues club backing them, but initially they weren't going to be the other club to join alongside the Broncos and Knights in 1988, the NSWRL initially intended to have two clubs from Queensland join, however the Broncos had a stipulation for joining the NSWRL and that was that they were the only club from Queensland in the competition for the first 5 years of their existence, for reasons probably lost to time the NSWRL agreed to this stipulation and instead of picking another bid from Brisbane decided to let the Giants join using the fact that they were from Tweed Heads as a loophole so that they got what they perceived to be the best team for Brisbane and but still got two teams from 'Queensland' as they intended. That stipulation stayed in place until 93, by mid 92 the NSWRL announced that it was taking bids for an expanded competition in 95, talk of a second Brisbane team was instant and the Broncos, particularly Ribot, were vocal in their resistance to a second club in Brisbane, in late 93 (from memory) the NSWRL announced the 4 new clubs would join the NSWRL (to be renamed the ARL) in 95, the Perth Pumas (later renamed the Western Reds after conerns about the brand being to similar to the Penrith Panthers), the Auckland Warriors, the North Queensland Cowboys, and the South Queensland Crushers based out of Brisbane.

The decision to add a second team in Brisbane was one of many factors that lead to the Broncos and Ribot seeking out the potential of starting a new competition and eventually finding a willing partner in News limited (lots of those factors were legitimate issues that all the clubs from outside of Sydney had with the NSWRL).

In late 95 the Seagulls pulled their backing for their ARL club and the ARL club closed it's doors soon after, the ARL sold the GC license to Jeff Muller a business man from the GC who moved the club up from Tweed Heads to the Queensland side of the boarder and named them the Gladiators, the Gladiators were a show, they chewed through coaches and CEOs, and had scandal after scandal until the ARL revoked the the license from Muller before the 96 season could even start and opted to run the club themselves under the new name of the Chargers (side note, the Gladiators and Chargers had the weirdest yet coolest footy jersey of all time in my opinion).

The Crushers meanwhile were struggling and losing lots of money (just like every other club from outside Sydney was at the time, except for the Broncos) , and begged SL to take them in cause they were desperate for the money that was on offer if you joined News Limited, John Ribot made it clear to them on multiple occasions that their was no room for them in Super League and that Super League would only have one club from SEQ (you can find an interesting video on Youtube of the old Queensland Footy Show, with him and Mario Fenech fighting about it). The Crushers went broke at the end of the 97 and because of the cost of the war the ARL couldn't afford to support them and Super League wouldn't take them so they died.

At the end of 97 the SL war ended with the two comps coming together, and the peace deals started, as part of the peace deals the new competition was going to be reduced to 14 clubs by 2000, instantly News Limited broke all the promises they had made to all the SL clubs except for Brisbane and their new club Melbourne, they got rid of all their shares in the other clubs and didn't pay out money that was expected of them even before they sold their shares, this lead too most of the SL clubs going broke overnight, depending on who you ask and what side of the war they were on either News and Ribot did it cause they thought that the Broncos and Storm were the best investments, or they sacrificed the other SL clubs to save Brisbane and Melbourne because the ARL wanted to force them to give up ownership of all the clubs and this was the only way for them to keep thier stakes in RL clubs, all as a ploy to create more room for ARL loyal clubs (in other words the Sydney old boys club rigged the discussions to sacrifice expansion clubs to save their own), nobody except the people that were there know exactly what happened but in my opinion the truth probably lies in the middle. Either way both News (who where heavily influenced by the Broncos and Ribot) and the ARL had it within their power to save all the expansion clubs if they wanted, the Reds, Rams, Chargers, etc, didn't have to die if they didn't want them too, each for their own reasons decided to sacrifice them

The Warriors were going to die too, Auckland had shut it's doors and weren't supposed to take part in the 2000 season, but literally at the very last second a group of Kiwi Businessmen came in and cut a deal with the NRL to buy the Warriors old license and bought the Warriors brand off the group that owned the Auckland Warriors and started the NZ Warriors.

Once it became clear that the Crushers were going broke, the ARL realised that they needed a new club in Brisbane if they were going to win the war, and planned to move the Chargers up to Brisbane for the 99 season, conflicting reports suggested that either the Chargers were just relocating to Brisbane (probably with a re-brand) or it was intended that they merge with the Crushers, after the war News and Ribot killed any hope of that, they managed to get the ARL to agree to another clause that stipulated that the Broncos would be the only club in Brisbane until 2010, this stuffed the Chargers up as they were half way between moving to Brisbane when it happened and they suddenly had no home to go to, after a few failed attempts to merge with other clubs (the Mariners in particular) the uncertainty provided the perfect excuse to cut them from the comp (pushed mainly by the Sydney clubs this time), at the end of 98 they shut up shop, when they folded they had money in the bank and were one of only a couple of clubs to make money in 97 and/or 98 and things were looking up for them.   

Jumping ahead to 03, the Rabbitohs rejoined the NRL creating an uneven competition, so another team had to be admitted and the bidding process started up pretty quickly, talk of a second Brisbane team was again instant but, the Broncos were again quick to voice their displeasure towards the idea, and the NRL turned away anybody attempting to bid for the license from Brisbane because of their agreement with the Broncos, the GC Titans won the bidding process with only two other bids really in the contest (the CC Bears and the Wellington Orca) but it is pretty widely accepted that they wouldn't have won if bids from Brisbane were considered.

Jumping ahead again, this time to 2010, and the Broncos agreement with the NRL to be the exclusive team in Brisbane ran out, and by the end of 2011 their were already a handful of bid teams for a license from Brisbane either in the process of starting up or already bidding with the intent of joining the comp in 2013, then once 2013 came and went 2015, then 2017, now 2020-2022, the Broncos were once again quick to voice their displeasure towards the idea, and have done so every time they are asked about the subject.

Archived