Who misses professional winter rugby

Just saying there's a lack of RL on TV right now. Having championship and below as winter leagues would solve this. 

I'm left to rely on union for entertainment in December and January... Never the most reliable option at club level. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two thoughts, S80.

From a spectators point of view (ie actually at the game), winter rugby may not be a good idea, compared to sunning yourself on a balmy, late spring or early summer evening.  And you do need a crowd actually at the game to create the atmosphere for telly-watchers like me and you.

Second, with most of my interests, I actually like a break.  The appetite is duly whetted for when activity resumes.  For me, that's true of watching RL, playing table tennis, and singing in or directing choirs - whatever, the break's good!

So, no, I for one don't miss professional rugby league just now.

Not for me ta.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

As a supporter of  Championship club, yes I miss it considerably. Switching to a summer game has created no discernible benefit for the clubs at this level and has also contributed to the erosion of the "RL habit" amongst many followers. In winter it was the default entertainment for the majority of us; in summer there are so many competing attractions.

However, it is now too late to turn back the clock as the damage has already been done. The majority of today's players will have known nothing but the summer game and would be unlikely to take kindly to a switch to winter.

I don't watch union.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

After a while of the pro game switching seasons I got used to it, but must say, I do miss watching the community game in the winter months, especially in the youth and NCL fixtures.

It is also noticable that the numbers watching these games seem to have gone down over time since Summer became the norm, as Blind side Johnny says, to many other distractions to contend with, and that also seems from the playing aspect as well as the watching.

47 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

In winter it was the default entertainment for the majority of us; in summer there are so many competing attractions.

And there weren't as many competing attractions when the game was played in winter?

Besides, that majority of you (whoever you were) that you mention were an insignificant number. Otherwise you would have saved the game from summer rugby.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

I do. I like cricket and walking, two summer activities with which RL now has to compete for my time, attention and disposable income. I can't be the only one! Not always sure whether this is a blessing or a curse, but RL's switch to a spring/summer season means I now watch a fair bit of RU between September and March.

14 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Just saying there's a lack of RL on TV right now. Having championship and below as winter leagues would solve this. 

Writing as a Bradford Bulls fan, I would not welcome the prospect of trailing out to Odsal Stadium in the depths of winter, just so you could sit at home watching it on TV, all nice and warm and cosy.

And in any case, which TV stations are queuing up to broadcast Championship and League 1 games in winter?

Just enjoy the break.

Watching a bit of rugby union will only make you appreciate RL even more when it returns in February. ;)

Winter rugby was of its era, played by teams of mixed full-timers and semi-pros on muddy pitches; I preferred it. Though I was an aficionado. I don't think we would have such a big proportion of female followers at Odsal these days if we were still playing that game.

We have also turned a bit soft; nowadays games in February are regarded as challenge to spectator comfort, rather than being the norm. In fact, I'd like the season to run April to October and do away with the convoluted playoff systems. Two conferences of 16 teams; each conference divided into two regions. Regional teams play same-region teams home and way plus one game against each of the other region's teams. The two overall conference winners  then compete in the grand final

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

2 hours ago, Mister Ting said:

And there weren't as many competing attractions when the game was played in winter?

Besides, that majority of you (whoever you were) that you mention were an insignificant number. Otherwise you would have saved the game from summer rugby.

No there weren't, and those competing attractions have tempted many away. Your logic is tortuous in the extreme by the way, do try harder.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Konkrete said:

Some rose tinted glasses here.  'Summer' rugby was a massive step forward for the game.

Not below SL it wasn't.

49 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

I'm too young to remember winter rugby league but I don't think it would be a good idea having our season during union and the middle of the football season as well as American Football. 

The thought of traveling to Belle Vue and Wheldon Road in winter as well makes me depressed

You hav'nt been molly coddled all your life by any chance have you?

Archived