Beverley info?

Can anybody help me. I am currently looking into the history of Beverley ARLFC. They were in the Challenge cup 3 times in the early part of the 20th century but I can find no trace of them again in leagues or cups prior to the 1980-81 season. My records on amateur competitions go back to 1973. Can anybody tell me if they went by another name prior to then or did they reform in 1980. I have been to watch them play in Beverley in the 1990's and have quite a few pogrammes (Home and away) involving the club but no history in any of them? Thank you.

2 hours ago, Celtic Rooster said:

Can anybody help me. I am currently looking into the history of Beverley ARLFC. They were in the Challenge cup 3 times in the early part of the 20th century but I can find no trace of them again in leagues or cups prior to the 1980-81 season. My records on amateur competitions go back to 1973. Can anybody tell me if they went by another name prior to then or did they reform in 1980. I have been to watch them play in Beverley in the 1990's and have quite a few pogrammes (Home and away) involving the club but no history in any of them? Thank you.

Try this link.

https://books.google.nl/books?id=piklDwAAQBAJ&lpg=PA125&ots=9gDV9Lft1p&dq=beverley rugby league history 1980&pg=PA124#v=onepage&q=beverley rugby league history 1980&f=false

..."Hodgson Sports Club gradually dropped away .............I think the Rugby League team was first to feel this,they could'nt raise enough from the factory but they had a sister factory in Hull, Thomas Holmes ,another tannery and they had a combined RL team "

Page 125..may be of interest or a complete red herring  as I am not sure what years (maybe 50's and 60's) but the guy was interviewed in 2008

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Hullfan said:

Thought this was info on how much there offering players to play for them this coming season, disappointed now. But good luck with what your looking for !!

Heard the same Hullfan, 

18 minutes ago, Hullfan said:

Got a millionaire backing them apparently!! Can't see them winning many games to be honest. I might pop down and have a look when season does start. 

Not really in the spirit of the game though is it, depends on who they can get to turn out for them. I will be popping down to have a nosey.

1 hour ago, MJL said:

Not really in the spirit of the game though is it, depends on who they can get to turn out for them. I will be popping down to have a nosey.

They won’t be alone in offering players financial rewards though.

11 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

They won’t be alone in offering players financial rewards though.

Your not wrong Davo5, been going on a long time,  doesn't make it right.  Amateur game done for the fun of it not for financial reward 

I have not been on these forums for a while because I am fast losing interest in Rugby League, but when I saw that I had 7 replies to my enquiry I was hoping to see some really positive answers to my enquiry. I can see that Beverley were re-formed in 1980 but can't establish when they folded. I could not care less if they pay players or not. If they can afford it fine - but I don't think its the right way to go. Over all the years I have watched amateur Rugby League I have heard more than half of the NCL clubs being accused of paying players, including the club I was involved with for many years. That made me laugh because the players pay a signing on fee and then £5 subs every game. I would not talk about rumours but I have only ever been in one club house and saw some players receive a pay packet and that was year ago. I know for a fact that some clubs pay their coach "expenses". I have seen occasionally a club give their players free beer. I am researching the statistical histories of all the NCL clubs just for my own interest and have completed Askam, Barrow Island & Beverley as much as I can. I am onto Blackbrook now. My Beverley info is very patchy before 1980. If anybody can help I would be grateful.

25 minutes ago, Celtic Rooster said:

I have not been on these forums for a while because I am fast losing interest in Rugby League, but when I saw that I had 7 replies to my enquiry I was hoping to see some really positive answers to my enquiry. I can see that Beverley were re-formed in 1980 but can't establish when they folded. I could not care less if they pay players or not. If they can afford it fine - but I don't think its the right way to go. Over all the years I have watched amateur Rugby League I have heard more than half of the NCL clubs being accused of paying players, including the club I was involved with for many years. That made me laugh because the players pay a signing on fee and then £5 subs every game. I would not talk about rumours but I have only ever been in one club house and saw some players receive a pay packet and that was year ago. I know for a fact that some clubs pay their coach "expenses". I have seen occasionally a club give their players free beer. I am researching the statistical histories of all the NCL clubs just for my own interest and have completed Askam, Barrow Island & Beverley as much as I can. I am onto Blackbrook now. My Beverley info is very patchy before 1980. If anybody can help I would be grateful.

You may not care less if they pay players but others are, this is an open forum for people to post as they wish, If you require more information with regards to Beverley ARLFC if you contact them on there facebook account I am sure they will be more then helpful.  

26 minutes ago, Celtic Rooster said:

Hope to have some info soon.Sent a message to  someone I know who is born and bred Beverley and played there for years.He is going to have a dig around for the stuff your asking about.

On ‎21‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:21 PM, Celtic Rooster said:

Hi Ken

I will try to remember to save the programs that I get during the coming season for you. That's presuming that they are of any use to you. I would sooner you have them rather than throw them away.

All the best for the New Year and keep up the good work.

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

5 hours ago, Big Doug said:

Hi Ken

I will try to remember to save the programs that I get during the coming season for you. That's presuming that they are of any use to you. I would sooner you have them rather than throw them away.

All the best for the New Year and keep up the good work.

Cheers Doug. I know I'm a sad old anorak but I collect any RL programmes. Just love to look through them, see the names I remember. pick out any statistical info. My wife will probably burn them when I pop my clogs. I will see you at Mayfield sometime in the coming season mate. Happy New Year to you too.

Hi Ken

i believe Beverley ran until the mid 90s and merged with the old Myson/East Hull Club before eventually the Beverley part was dropped, they have fielded a team in the Hull League for around the last 20 years 

I think Len Casey coached there

hope that helps 

Thanks Duke. I actually have most of the statistical info on Beverley from 1980. I have the Hull league tables from around 1973 and they don't appear in them at all. It's prior to 1980 that I am looking at. They seem to have been inactive but I was wondering when they became inactive? Beverely were already in the NCL premier league when they merged with East Hull for the for the 1998-99 season. The name for that season only was Beverley East Hull. I went to Beverley that season for a match against Leigh Miners and when I got there the game had been switched to Hull KR. I made it there in time. Anyway, it seems that the 2 factions did not get on and most of the Beverley people left the merged club and Beverley went back to the Hull & District League division 1 for the 1999-2000 season. That Just left East Hull and as the membership of the NCL was granted to Beverely the club were not retained by the NCL. East Hull played in the White Rose league in 1999-2000, although they were later admitted to the NCL in their own right. I think I have that correct.

Archived