Vince McMahon looking to invest in pro sports, files interesting trademark

WWE's billionaire owner Vince McMahon has recently founded a sports promotions and investment company, which most assumed was preempting him reviving his old American football league, the XFL, which went up against the NFL for a season in 2001. However in the past few days it emerges that along with the XFL, the new company has filed a pretty interesting trademark.

http://www.espn.co.uk/wwe/story/_/id/21840316/vince-mcmahon-sells-some-wwe-shares-fund-alpha-entertainment-llc

https://www.thescore.com/news/1447964

https://deadspin.com/timing-of-trademarks-suggests-new-xfl-may-be-a-respon-1821393884

Just something to think about over Christmas.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't he the guy behind the XFL? That died a death pretty quickly.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Wasn't that pretty clear in the opening post?!

Oops, I though Copa was the OP.

EH is temporarily on ignore, due to repetition, deviation, but sadly not hesitation.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 hours ago, The 4 of Us said:

A league for Trump supporters. That’ll last until the midterms.

The reality is a lot of Trump supporters are fed up with the NFL.  They are the ones spending thousands of dollars on season seats and suites.  The Baltimore Ravens President Dick Cass sent out a letter today asking fans to support the team again.  An article said fans who bought tickets aren’t even using them.  This is partly because of the kneeling.  Rugby League would be a perfect alternative. This whole XFL thing will bomb.  My $.02

6 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Imagine if McMahon was in charge of RL. Any player who moved to a new club would be given a new identity and when he plays his first game for his new club the commentators would make out that he is making his RL debut.

It would be the slowest start to any game with each player having their name read out individually and making their way down to the field to their own theme song while showboating to the crowd. 

Would be F@#$^#@G great

11 hours ago, The Manc Yank said:

The reality is a lot of Trump supporters are fed up with the NFL.  They are the ones spending thousands of dollars on season seats and suites.  The Baltimore Ravens President Dick Cass sent out a letter today asking fans to support the team again.  An article said fans who bought tickets aren’t even using them.  This is partly because of the kneeling.  Rugby League would be a perfect alternative. This whole XFL thing will bomb.  My $.02

From the outside looking in it looks like a lot of the issues have been contrived for political ends by Trump. Was there even a problem before he opened his tangerine?

Appreciate they might be attracted to another sport but I’m not too sure the Denver Deplorables would assist RL in the long term.

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

14 hours ago, The Manc Yank said:

A digression but the problem the NFL has is that for much of the past couple of years the games just haven't been that interesting - and the product is now more spread out from Thursday to Monday than ever before. Being able to blame a handful being angry enough about the anthem kneeling that they will not attend is a useful distraction but it is simply that: a distraction.

Rugby league, a foreign sport, is not the perfect alternative for patriotic Trumpites wanting something even more authentically Merican.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 hours ago, The Manc Yank said:

Unfortunately you fail to realise the cultural significance that American Football has in America. Americans may be fed up with NFL but that doesn't mean they're fed up with the sport. It also doesn't mean that a foreign sport can waltz in and suddenly become the toast of the town amongst Americans. Sport is much more than what is seen on the field especially if it has cultural significance

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

A digression but the problem the NFL has is that for much of the past couple of years the games just haven't been that interesting - and the product is now more spread out from Thursday to Monday than ever before. Being able to blame a handful being angry enough about the anthem kneeling that they will not attend is a useful distraction but it is simply that: a distraction.

Rugby league, a foreign sport, is not the perfect alternative for patriotic Trumpites wanting something even more authentically Merican.

This whole 'the ratings and attendance are dropping cause of kneeling players' is just an opportunist argument by those on the Right. As you alluded to the NFL has been having these problems for the past few seasons. Funny, the players AND coaches of the NBA have been far more vocal politically/socially than in any other sports, yet their tv ratings keep going up and up.

In the end it appears the NFL bubble is starting to pop in the US, while the NBA with star driven games is on the rise. 

And XFL 2.0 will end just like every other alternative football league does: out of business. I never understand why people keep trying it.

5 hours ago, Jace said:

Unfortunately you fail to realise the cultural significance that American Football has in America. Americans may be fed up with NFL but that doesn't mean they're fed up with the sport. It also doesn't mean that a foreign sport can waltz in and suddenly become the toast of the town amongst Americans. Sport is much more than what is seen on the field especially if it has cultural significance

But Jace it isn't a foreign sport if marketed correctly...American (and Canadian) football morphed from Rugby (both League and Union)...therefore rugby is the 'father' or 'mother' of football...any true football fan should also have an inherent 'like' of rugby since its all in the family.  For example, an ardent tennis player probably enjoys the odd game of badminton or squash.

watched a bt documentary about XFL

took some guts to try against the NFL and didnt have the best of luck to start

Not sure we should be linking up with Vince McMahan as can see the comparisons to WWE. Saying that money talks and he has plenty of it

Should give us plenty of threads in 2018

THIS HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH RUGBY LEAGUE

See web link which explains a lot

https://deadspin.com/xfl-plans-get-more-concrete-as-vince-mcmahon-tries-to-p-1821522729

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

8 hours ago, The 4 of Us said:

From the outside looking in it looks like a lot of the issues have been contrived for political ends by Trump. Was there even a problem before he opened his tangerine?

Appreciate they might be attracted to another sport but I’m not too sure the Denver Deplorables would assist RL in the long term.

Obviously there was a problem before he opened his mouth because he beat Hillary Clinton.  The last thing I want to do is  have US political banter on a Rugby League website.  At the end of the day I hope Rugby League grows in this country. I don’t care where that comes from. I was just expressing my opinion.  Wish you the best dude.    

Archived