2018 predictions aren’t so easy.

Looking forward to this.  I think we could have 6 or 7 teams in with a real shot.  

Hull, Saints, Wigan, Wakey are backing what they had last year with 2 or 3 signings to add to young players coming through.  Salford, Cas, Wire & Widnes have 6 or 7 new players in.  HKR have bought but there appears to be unrest in fans that they just haven’t bought enough.

So, backing the players or system Clubs have versus backing being able to gel new blood into the squads.  

It could be easier to predict the bottom 4 this year, whereas, 2017 excluded, its nearly always been easier to predict the top 4 and the CC winners ?.  Just can’t see Salford and Widnes ending up anywhere but the bottom 4 and HKR will need to bank some points early.  If Catalans can’t turn Gilbert Brutus into a fortress, then will we see freefall mid season?  They have form.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not trying to start another debate on the structure, but a 12 team league is really competitive.

I think it would be even better if the playoffs started after Round 23, Super 8s give too many opportunities for clubs having not great seasons to make the top 4.

Other than that I think Saints are the favourites, will be interesting to see how Warrington get on as well and if HKR can stay up

Cas, Saints, Leeds and Hull look likely as the Top 4 for me, but I think Wigan are easily underestimated.   If Tomkins gets a good pre-season and ends up in the halves, with Escare at fullback, they could pose more of an unknown attacking threat.

I think it’s a year too early for Warrington but will be pleased if they make 5th/6th in Price’s first season with so many new faces.   I don’t think Wakey will go quite as well simply as they’re more of a known threat and Salford will almost certainly miss Murdoch-Masila and Koukash.

HKR can avoid 12th so I think it’s likely Widnes or Cats down at the bottom.   Neither squad inspires me but I’d back McNamara’s coaching over Betts, just.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

I'm happy people are underestimating Wakefields strengthening though not surprised as it's typical.

Wakefield have actually made four new signings not 2-3 as the OP wrongly suggests. They are all quality bar one who's a speculator.

Chad Randall - who was actually signed for this season though he arrived and played in two matches last year is now properly a Trinity player and boy he looks good..

Justin Horo - vastly experienced player who was one of Catalans few performers last year.

Pauli Pauli - who if he performs will probably be the next big star of SL this season - the man is simply a monster.

Ryan Hampshire - his career has stalled a bit but he oozes quality and no club offers a better chance to rebuild than us.

Jordan Baldwinson - who knows

...and a word for Tom Johnstone who after a ten month lay off is like getting a new player!

If we are anything to go by this season is absolutely wide open which is frankly brilliant.

1 minute ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

I'm happy people are underestimating Wakefields strengthening though not surprised as it's typical.

Wakefield have actually made four new signings not 2-3 as the OP wrongly suggests. They are all quality bar one who's a speculator.

Chad Randall - who was actually signed for this season though he arrived and played in two matches last year is now properly a Trinity player and boy he looks good..

Justin Horo - vastly experienced player who was one of Catalans few performers last year.

Pauli Pauli - who if he performs will probably be the next big star of SL this season - the man is simply a monster.

Ryan Hampshire - his career has stalled a bit but he oozes quality and no club offers a better chance to rebuild than us.

...and a word for Tom Johnstone who after a ten month lay off is like getting a new player!

If we are anything to go by this season is absolutely wide open which is frankly brilliant.

Tyler Randell not Chad Randall

17 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

I don’t underestimate them, in fact, quite the opposite.  I think this will be a Ryan Hampshire learning year under Finn and Johnstone back on the scene bides well in attack.  They will be in the mix at the end.

1 hour ago, Desert Skipper said:

Cas, Saints, Leeds and Hull look likely as the Top 4 for me, but I think Wigan are easily underestimated.   If Tomkins gets a good pre-season and ends up in the halves, with Escare at fullback, they could pose more of an unknown attacking threat.

I think it’s a year too early for Warrington but will be pleased if they make 5th/6th in Price’s first season with so many new faces.   I don’t think Wakey will go quite as well simply as they’re more of a known threat and Salford will almost certainly miss Murdoch-Masila and Koukash.

HKR can avoid 12th so I think it’s likely Widnes or Cats down at the bottom.   Neither squad inspires me but I’d back McNamara’s coaching over Betts, just.

Extremely tough to separate some teams.  I just can’t see a blow out run like Cas produced last year.  I agree regarding Wigan, in that last years experience will make them stronger.  Wanecsaid he was looking the change the approach, including his own, so it’s going to be interesting.

Cats, Widnes, HKR (to date) still have little depth.  

Leeds have just lost two of their most experienced players in Burrow and McGuire. It'll be very interesting to see how they cope.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Saints are the team to beat this year. A pre-season with Holbrook and Barba et al firing, we’ll be difficult to stop.

For me Percival is the man who can make a difference in 2018. The World Cup can be a humbling experience when you are on the outer. He has got a lot to prove and LMS is eyeing up his centre position. 

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Saints are the team to beat this year. A pre-season with Holbrook and Barba et al firing, we’ll be difficult to stop.

Saints fans are bigging up both Barba and the tean, personally don't see it and I'm not alone.

Think this over hyping will come back to haunt you - there are still far to many issues left over from the Cunningham era - you can't clear that mess up in less than a year imho.

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Extremely tough to separate some teams.  I just can’t see a blow out run like Cas produced last year.  I agree regarding Wigan, in that last years experience will make them stronger.  Wanecsaid he was looking the change the approach, including his own, so it’s going to be interesting.

Cats, Widnes, HKR (to date) still have little depth.  

Your concern for Rovers lack of depth is touching. With a current signed squad of 36/7 excluding any new Academy promotions numbers are not a problem.In fact players are being offloaded to make space for any new late signings. The fans are not restless just a little forgetful.

We start 2018 with the Grand Final MoM making his debut and with several players signed late last season who made few games in 2017....Carney Atkins and Maseo to start with plus several new experienced ( Tommy Lee) and up and coming stars (Will Dagger) plus a couple of World Cup stars. Having missed Donaldson and Quinlan for most of last year...and with the winning habit well ingrained the club start 100% better than 2016.

Lets see what February and March bring!

3 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Saints fans are bigging up both Barba and the tean, personally don't see it and I'm not alone.

Think this over hyping will come back to haunt you - there are still far to many issues left over from the Cunningham era - you can't clear that mess up in less than a year imho.

I think the reason many are tipping Saints is that the rest of the league isn’t any stronger, but Saints have the x-factor in Barba.   He really could be the difference between mid-table and a grand final win.   A bit like Sandow was for Warrington pre-injury.   Hopefully for Saints he won’t self-destruct and go AWOL for ‘undisclosed’ reasons.   There are only a few x-factor players in Super League today unfortunately and only 2 who would walk into the NRL, in Barba and Roberts.  

I’ll be really interested to see how Cas respond to the Gramd Final loss under Powell though.   Not many flamboyant teams have gone on to win Grand Finals in recent history and I wonder how Powell will develop his team to give them a better chance at the main prize.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

11 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Wakefield have actually made four new signings not 2-3 as the OP wrongly suggests.

Chad Randall

11 hours ago, Rioman said:

Tyler Randell not Chad Randall

:laugh:

5 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

There are only a few x-factor players in Super League today unfortunately and only 2 who would walk into the NRL, in Barba and Roberts.  

I wouldn't swap the best x factor player in SL for either of them tbh.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

18 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Looking forward to this.  I think we could have 6 or 7 teams in with a real shot.

I was going to start a thread like this one. Looking at the way teams have strengthened, loads of new names, lots of WC heroes it really looks like a great season in the making.

15 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

and Salford will almost certainly miss Murdoch-Masila and Koukash.

It is obvious that BMS will be missed but their pack look the SRD pack looks very good on paper and if some of the other signings prove decent enough they could surprise!

MK on the the other hand according to some Salford fans won't be missed at all. Probably the same ones still calling him names even after he's left.

The delay with the new board is worrying and unhelpful preparation for the new season.

HKR have a Tim business like approach about them.

Wakey and vikings signed well. The Wolves will shock everyone if they don't do well.

David Mead at the Dragons looks interesting but forward wise I'm not so sure.

Wigan, Hull, Leeds, Saints, Wolves Cas,( yes no longer among the maybes) as top six until the first shots happen.

So sadly little real change on the face of it but I hope the teams I haven't put there prove me Totally wrong!

Merry Christmas Everyone!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

13 hours ago, Kayakman said:

TWP win Challenge Cup...mark it down.

Mmm, not sure, Kayakman.  Having said that, I give them more of a chance in the CC than Toulouse!

18 hours ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

I'm not trying to start another debate on the structure, but a 12 team league is really competitive.

I think it would be even better if the playoffs started after Round 23, Super 8s give too many opportunities for clubs having not great seasons to make the top 4.

Other than that I think Saints are the favourites, will be interesting to see how Warrington get on as well and if HKR can stay up

Too true, we have a great 23 round regular season then in just loses all momentum and limps along for 2 months until the GF.

Will Cas be such a force without Hardaker or will they bring him back. Warrington are a completly new team. How good will Saints be with Barba? Im guessing he will be special. I think Myler will go well for for Leeds.

5 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

:laugh:

I wouldn't swap the best x factor player in SL for either of them tbh.

Danny Houghton is not the best x factor player in SL :onthequiet:

1 hour ago, Desert Skipper said:

Danny Houghton is not the best x factor player in SL :onthequiet:

Must be pretty close though ....... who would you nominate?

Typing this while watching TWP V Doncaster to fill the void and in the morning (early) a PNG WC match!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

15 hours ago, stevereed100 said:

Your concern for Rovers lack of depth is touching. With a current signed squad of 36/7 excluding any new Academy promotions numbers are not a problem.In fact players are being offloaded to make space for any new late signings. The fans are not restless just a little forgetful.

We start 2018 with the Grand Final MoM making his debut and with several players signed late last season who made few games in 2017....Carney Atkins and Maseo to start with plus several new experienced ( Tommy Lee) and up and coming stars (Will Dagger) plus a couple of World Cup stars. Having missed Donaldson and Quinlan for most of last year...and with the winning habit well ingrained the club start 100% better than 2016.

Lets see what February and March bring!

Thanks Steve, but that’s not what the hdm are quoting so it must be right.

1 hour ago, Mattrhino said:

Too true, we have a great 23 round regular season then in just loses all momentum and limps along for 2 months until the GF.

Will Cas be such a force without Hardaker or will they bring him back. Warrington are a completly new team. How good will Saints be with Barba? Im guessing he will be special. I think Myler will go well for for Leeds.

What is the half back situation at Leeds?  Myler and Moon with Sutcliffe in the Centre?

Archived