2018 predictions aren’t so easy.

2 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Mmm, not sure, Kayakman.  Having said that, I give them more of a chance in the CC than Toulouse!

I think they have a legitimate chance, if they play well at the right time and get a bit of luck going their way.

Could you imagine the uproar though...its the kind of shakeup and press the league needs...I think they have a pretty good chance to at least make the final (I got a funny feeling on this one: GOOD SIGN!)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

I think the reason many are tipping Saints is that the rest of the league isn’t any stronger, but Saints have the x-factor in Barba.   He really could be the difference between mid-table and a grand final win.   A bit like Sandow was for Warrington pre-injury.   Hopefully for Saints he won’t self-destruct and go AWOL for ‘undisclosed’ reasons.   There are only a few x-factor players in Super League today unfortunately and only 2 who would walk into the NRL, in Barba and Roberts.

The biggest factor IMO isn’t Barba; it’s Holbrook. Saints looked like a team towards the end of last season and played a lot of desire and commitment - massive leap forward in the same season we got rid of Cunningham. It was nice amazing turnaround, which came within a drop goal of the GF. 

4 hours ago, Oxford said:

I was going to start a thread like this one. Looking at the way teams have strengthened, loads of new names, lots of WC heroes it really looks like a great season in the making.

It is obvious that BMS will be missed but their pack look the SRD pack looks very good on paper and if some of the other signings prove decent enough they could surprise!

MK on the the other hand according to some Salford fans won't be missed at all. Probably the same ones still calling him names even after he's left.

The delay with the new board is worrying and unhelpful preparation for the new season.

HKR have a Tim business like approach about them.

Wakey and vikings signed well. The Wolves will shock everyone if they don't do well.

David Mead at the Dragons looks interesting but forward wise I'm not so sure.

Wigan, Hull, Leeds, Saints, Wolves Cas,( yes no longer among the maybes) as top six until the first shots happen.

So sadly little real change on the face of it but I hope the teams I haven't put there prove me Totally wrong!

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Merry Christmas to you too Oxy.  

Yes, Wire can’t be ignored but across the board the league looks closer all together.  

The difference in Hudds season could rest on JMc staying it going.  With Mamo back they could be a dark horse.

16 hours ago, Kayakman said:

TWP win Challenge Cup...mark it down.

Yes, I believe you.

But, this thread is about 2018.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

Aren't they in it?...I thought they were in this competition?   Please tell me they are in it!

They are!  I hope the get to the semi final!

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

25 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Merry Christmas to you too Oxy.  

Yes, Wire can’t be ignored but across the board the league looks closer all together.  

The difference in Hudds season could rest on JMc staying it going.  With Mamo back they could be a dark horse.

All the best LD.

I think there are a few dark horses and I'm hoping they all bubble to the top!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

18 hours ago, Scubby said:

For me Percival is the man who can make a difference in 2018. The World Cup can be a humbling experience when you are on the outer. He has got a lot to prove and LMS is eyeing up his centre position. 

Percival was good in 2017, even in the Cunningham team. I expect him to be even better in 2018. 

And stop trying to wind me up ref LMS... ?

4 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

The biggest factor IMO isn’t Barba; it’s Holbrook. Saints looked like a team towards the end of last season and played a lot of desire and commitment - massive leap forward in the same season we got rid of Cunningham. It was nice amazing turnaround, which came within a drop goal of the GF. 

I fancy Saints to win alot of games and be league leaders. In a one off big game I would be more concerned about facing Leeds or Wigan tbh.

6 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Saints ,Hull without Gaz? Cas yes I think so . Leeds have been in transition since 2010 and won 4 titles ,but this time I don't know .

As good as Ellis was I think we will be fine without him. We have certainly improved depth in the pack with Paea coming in and Hadley and Abdul returning from loans. We will miss his leadership, but the team isnt exactly lacking leaders. Two of them captained their countries at the WC, and it is probable that neither will captain Hull next year.

2 hours ago, MZH said:

As good as Ellis was I think we will be fine without him. We have certainly improved depth in the pack with Paea coming in and Hadley and Abdul returning from loans. We will miss his leadership, but the team isnt exactly lacking leaders. Two of them captained their countries at the WC, and it is probable that neither will captain Hull next year.

yes that's why I gave Hull a mention 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

7 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

yes that's why I gave Hull a mention 

Yea I get that, but you had a question mark there. I agree there is a question mark over how we will go without Gaz, but I think we will manage it ok. 

I think the exciting thing for Hull is the ages of a lot of the key players. All of the front row (Paea aside) are improving year on year and have their best days still ahead of them. Shaul is just getting towards his prime. Sneyd is still pretty young for a scrum half of his style, and you can see a marked improvement in his game over the last couple of years. Not to mention guys like Connor and Abdul who have the talent to go as far as they want to in the game.

If we can keep who we want to keep in the coming years and buy smart when the time comes to replace the likes of Minichiello, we have all the tools to be a genuine big hitter for a while. 

Even after two really good years it still feels odd to be talking about Hull so positively. :)

On 24/12/2017 at 11:21 AM, Kayakman said:

I think they have a legitimate chance, if they play well at the right time and get a bit of luck going their way.

Could you imagine the uproar though...its the kind of shakeup and press the league needs...I think they have a pretty good chance to at least make the final (I got a funny feeling on this one: GOOD SIGN!)

There are chances and there are chances. Anything can happen in sport, and Toronto winning the CC next year wouldnt be the strangest thing ever to happen by a long shot. But realistically if they can take one SL scalp somewhere down the line then that consitutes a good cup run. If you get to the quarters and draw one of the big guns and they are really going all out with Wembley in sight, it shouldn't really be a contest.

That said I would love to see Toronto at Wembley.

If Catalans sign Michael McIlorum in the wake of star signing David Mead, then you will underestimate the Catalans at your peril.

Fouad Yaha has also returned to training many kilos lighter (and maybe faster). He could have a breakout year in the side.

Don't be surprised, if Greg Bird stays fit, that Catalans end up in the top 6 or maybe even higher.

Catalans passage in the CC will depend on how many home games they get.

1 minute ago, Manfred Mann said:

If Catalans sign Michael McIlorum in the wake of star signing David Mead, then you will underestimate the Catalans at your peril.

Fouad Yaha has also returned to training many kilos lighter (and maybe faster). He could have a breakout year in the side.

Don't be surprised, if Greg Bird stays fit, that Catalans end up in the top 6 or maybe even higher.

I never underestimate Catalans, there are a lot of talanted players in that squad. The trouble is you just dont know what youre going to get. They legitimately could win the league or they could get relegated.

6 hours ago, MZH said:

Yea I get that, but you had a question mark there. I agree there is a question mark over how we will go without Gaz, but I think we will manage it ok. 

I think the exciting thing for Hull is the ages of a lot of the key players. All of the front row (Paea aside) are improving year on year and have their best days still ahead of them. Shaul is just getting towards his prime. Sneyd is still pretty young for a scrum half of his style, and you can see a marked improvement in his game over the last couple of years. Not to mention guys like Connor and Abdul who have the talent to go as far as they want to in the game.

If we can keep who we want to keep in the coming years and buy smart when the time comes to replace the likes of Minichiello, we have all the tools to be a genuine big hitter for a while. 

Even after two really good years it still feels odd to be talking about Hull so positively. :)

It meant I fancy Hull and wondering How they will evolve without Gaz. I named four clubs 3 of whom I think will set the pace I mentioned Leeds too but bit unsure this time 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

On 25/12/2017 at 7:28 PM, Manfred Mann said:

As a professional player, shouldn’t a young SL winger be in shape anyway?  

Wigan are favourites with the bookies - any real reason for this?

I agree with those saying St Helens for the League Leaders shield.

Whether Saints will be fit and healthy enough to carry that momentum through to the big one at Old Trafford is a question that can only be answered nearer the time.

Like them or loathe them (and I like them), the Toronto Wolfpack story is a massive one for the national media.

If they could reach the Challenge Cup final it would really raise the profile of the sport in the UK.

Elsewhere I think the Championship will be fascinating both at the top and bottom.

Bradford look set to emerge from the darkness, but there could be a real battle for second place in League One.

16 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Wigan are favourites with the bookies - any real reason for this?

I agree with those saying St Helens for the League Leaders shield.

Whether Saints will be fit and healthy enough to carry that momentum through to the big one at Old Trafford is a question that can only be answered nearer the time.

Like them or loathe them (and I like them), the Toronto Wolfpack story is a massive one for the national media.

If they could reach the Challenge Cup final it would really raise the profile of the sport in the UK.

Elsewhere I think the Championship will be fascinating both at the top and bottom.

Bradford look set to emerge from the darkness, but there could be a real battle for second place in League One.

Quite feasible for TWP do have a run in the C.C..  Having a home draw alone ala Sheffield proves anything’s possible in a one off.  

Archived