Leigh threaten to bar Premier Sports

51 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

We got all of their games in Canada and thought you guys did too?

Only if we paid for them - can you see a connection there?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, M j M said:

It's a situation that needs clarifying but since Leigh have already been paid for tv rights if the above process has been properly followed its possibly out of their control, albeit unusual.

This is precisely it, Leigh do not own the rights to this game. The RFL does and they sold it to Sky in the broadcast deal. That it is not shown on Sky is surely Sky's prerogative. That they have reached a broadcast arrangement with Premier where they are happy for them to broadcast this and the rest of TWPs games is up to Sky. Because Sky were happy to allow LCTV show the game, does not mean that sky cannot say they're happy for another agreed broadcaster to do the same. 

I would also echo the point that Leigh have been given a lot more financially than any other club for the following year - with TWP receiving no central funding doubtless some of this finance had been freed up there. Who knows, maybe this is a desperate plea from a financially vulnerable organisation. 

The RFL must come out and clarify what the situation is and impose some order. 

49 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

The Wolfpack never goes back on its contractually agree arrangements...the Pack never wavers...the Pack isn't some two bit organization...we will do what we say we will do.

"You Can Depend On The Pack!"

Fixed your typo there KM.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

9 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

The price is  500 000 British Pounds Sterling (whatever that means) or we are not televising Leigh live...as a Championship team they have already received a payment from SuperLeague (their share of the Sky contract): Note: Toronto is the only Championship team to get nothing, so we already bear an undue burden.   They've already been paid once by us.

Plus Leigh got a big payment for being DEMOTED while Toronto got nothing for being PROMOTED.  They have already been paid twice by us.

We will honour all previous commitments to fly them over and host them for free.  They will already be paid thrice by us.

Now asking for this?  Just shows they are a bunch of unappreciative free loading bums...its 500 000 pounds sterling (and Scottish pounds not English ones; whatever this means) FIRM!

I'm personally not a free loading bum k man and neither are the rest of the championship clubs.Sure,"the derek" has put a lot of money into leigh and bankrolled them to a certain extent,in much the same way Toronto have themselves indeed been bankrolled.

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

Again, the Chapmionship clubs have previously tried to get a better deal on the market.  They failed.  That TWP succeeded does should not mean you get to sulk and play the fragile snowflake.

Ah, snowflake! I wondered when that would emerge.

5 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

I'm personally not a free loading bum k man and neither are the rest of the championship clubs.Sure,"the derek" has put a lot of money into leigh and bankrolled them to a certain extent,in much the same way Toronto have themselves indeed been bankrolled.

I know you're not so I take it back and apologize , but its very upsetting...getting this lump of coal just before XMas and us sending a full sled of presents over that way tonight!

3 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Ah, snowflake! I wondered when that would emerge.

He throws it at people, and crys when people do not agree with him.  I thought I would get it in first.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

10 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Fixed your typo there KM.

There was no typo, our word is good on this side of the pond and we don't even really need to sign a contract...a verbal from the Wolfpack is like its written in stone!

Trying to blindside me again Blindsider?  HA!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Just read through this thread, and it is full of:- "I pressume", "what if", "could it be", "I'm possitive that?", "I'm sure?", "have Sky the durisdiction"

I will give you all one positive, none of those posts have been delivered with any semblance of anyone knowing any facts, whether the posts on both sides of the argument are for or against Mr Beaumonts statement, this site has once again gone into meltdown on supposition.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just read through this thread, and it is full of:- "I pressume", "what if", "could it be", "I'm possitive that?", "I'm sure?", "have Sky the durisdiction"

I will give you all one positive, none of those posts have been delivered with any semblance of anyone knowing any facts, whether the posts on both sides of the argument are for or against Mr Beaumonts statement, this site has once again gone into meltdown on supposition.

Of course it has Harry:  ITS CHRISTMAS EVE!

"And all through the house the creatures were stirring, even Anonymouse,

And down from the chimney came this crazy owner of Leigh bearing a bag full of lumps of coal,

Which he dumped under the tree,

and started refilling with everything he could find in the home to take away,

He had made a big mistake though,

He was in the home of the Big Bad Wolf,

And that canine, having good hearing, was coming down the stairs to see what was making the noise!

Caught the thief in the act!"

500 000 Scottish Pounds firm!

1 hour ago, Krzzystuff said:

It's a deal between TWP and the league so Mr. Scrooge can ###### off. Guessing he's burnt through the $500K already? Our portion of allocation money not enough or is he going to give that back?

Just out of interest krzzy,will you be attending the games in England to help fund the hosting clubs loss of gate receipts generated by the lack of Toronto supporters showing up to support the wolfpack?

"Premier used to show a champ game live every Thursday but dropped it after a season. If they want it they can buy it! As for being worthless it provides 50 households in our town with an income and thousands of our townsfolk with something to look forward to and support!"

quote from Derek, which implies he seems to know very little as Premier did not drop it. SKY bought exclusive rights and refused Premier to broascast games even though SKY don't bother showing it.

9 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

"Premier used to show a champ game live every Thursday but dropped it after a season. If they want it they can buy it! As for being worthless it provides 50 households in our town with an income and thousands of our townsfolk with something to look forward to and support!"

quote from Derek, which implies he seems to know very little as Premier did not drop it. SKY bought exclusive rights and refused Premier to broascast games even though SKY don't bother showing it.

Exactly...its false news..is the whole world going mad?

...offer of free TV broadcasting plus promotion of product and they (Okay I'll only say the Trumpite type owner at this time; not JD or the other fans) look the gift horse in the mouth and play the victim...pathetic. Nuts.

This league needs a tune up and a straightening out and the Toronto Wolfpack is just the organization to do it...its like if you have a cold and want to clear it up over here you have a shot of this stuff called 'Buckleys' )-do they sell Buckleys over there?;

The Wolfpack is the Buckleys of Championship...here it comes...gulp gulp...OH MY GOD!

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

Exactly...its false news..is the whole world going mad?

...offer of free TV broadcasting plus promotion of product and they (Okay I'll only say the Trumpite type owner at this time; not JD or the other fans) look the gift horse in the mouth and play the victim...pathetic. Nuts.

This league needs a tune up and a straightening out and the Toronto Wolfpack is just the organization to do it...its like if you have a cold and want to clear it up over here you have a shot of this stuff called 'Buckleys' )-do they sell Buckleys over there?;

The Wolfpack is the Buckleys of Championship...here it comes...gulp gulp...OH MY GOD!

TBH we should have avioded all this rubbish and put TW straight into SL.

If that quote is true it reveals that Beaumont seems to be spectacularly ignorant. What does he think the money Leigh get from Sky (parachute apart) is for?

It's their share of tv rights. they've already sold rights to this game! If Premier show it it will only be because the rights holders have sold it on to, or otherwise arranged for it to be shown on, Premier. 

21 minutes ago, M j M said:

If that quote is true it reveals that Beaumont seems to be spectacularly ignorant. What does he think the money Leigh get from Sky (parachute apart) is for?

It's their share of tv rights. they've already sold rights to this game! If Premier show it it will only be because the rights holders have sold it on to, or otherwise arranged for it to be shown on, Premier. 

He tweeted it today

RL needs to shake off this Victim mentality. Whatever they recieve is never enough.

Toronto donate prize money back, recieve no central funding, pay £250,000 to play in the league and pay for the clubs air fare, digs and match transfers. Yet clubs complain about them not getting fed and having to pay their own way to Manchester airport.

Now he wants paying for TV rights he doesn't even own.

11 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

RL needs to shake off this Victim mentality. Whatever they recieve is never enough.

Toronto donate prize money back, recieve no central funding, pay £250,000 to play in the league and pay for the clubs air fare, digs and match transfers. Yet clubs complain about them not getting fed and having to pay their own way to Manchester airport.

Now he wants paying for TV rights he doesn't even own.

I think what he really want is 2 points!

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I assume that Toronto/Premier Sports have made an arrangement with Sky, who own the broadcast rights. If so, Leigh have already been paid for this match, via the Sky contract.

This is what I would assume too. It shouldn't matter to them if the Sky Crew show up or Premier,  the broadcast has been sold. Does he really think Sky would just sit around and let games they have rights to be broadcast by someone else without some sort of agreement?

3 hours ago, NickWeaver said:

I guess the Wolfpack could give him the money than request that he arrange his teams own travel and hotels in Toronto that would only be fair.

Sounds good to me.  For a club that supposedly has legitimate SL ambitions, they should be prepared to start paying their own way anyway. And if they don't want to be part of an arranged TV agreement and sort it out themselves,  I assume they're okay with doing the same with airlines, and don't need to use TWP'S Air Transat deal. 

1 hour ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

Just out of interest krzzy,will you be attending the games in England to help fund the hosting clubs loss of gate receipts generated by the lack of Toronto supporters showing up to support the wolfpack?

No but I'm sure all the extra people should show up to root against us or for us (big marketing push will be made this year to get UK fans to games) will more than make up for it.  6/8 had record crowds when we played them last year because we brought the people to the ground. Also isn't our share of central funding more than what any club would normally make on away fans? 

So much bickering and negativity just before Christmas. I'll check in after Christmas again but Merry Christmas to everyone!!!!

6 hours ago, East Coast Tiger said:

Toronto have sold something the other clubs have failed to sell.

It’s not for the other clubs to sell either. It’s already been sold by the RFL to sky.

Amazed people think a channel should just be able to show a disregards for TV rights.

5 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Sorry Derwent, it’s a ridiculous and small minded stance to take. Toronto already don’t take any central funds (how much have Leigh had this year?). They also pay and put up every team that visits. Just because they have the nous and ability to negotiate their own tv deal, for a club like Leigh to hinder that is just petty. 

Give Toronto central funding and not to cover the costs of visiting clubs and I’m sure they’ll only be too happy to share the proceeds of the TV deal

No wonder the game stuggles to grow it’s footprint 

This has nothing to do with who gets what central funding. It's to do with how broadcasting rights to the sport are sold. A channel can't just turn up and televise a game, without some sort of agreement. 

If Premier are only going to broadcast in Canada, then this should be in agreement with the RFL, and you would imagine the clubs would be made aware. If it's to broadcast over here, then it should be after agreement between RFL, Sky and ideally the clubs. Allowing Sky to buy the rights so they can sell them on is a dangerous precedent to take. More broadcasters interested in showing then sport should result in more money from broadcasters into the sport. Not Sky getting their money back.

2 hours ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

In fairness to the Wolfpack they seem to have a tiny bit of support in the UK heartlands, some fans have welcomed them and having somewhat of a base in the UK (Carrington, Manchester) hopefully they can tap into some of that also. If anything the Wolfpack have been a welcome addition to the sport and we should be supporting all their efforts instead of carrying on like they're ruining the sport, they've introduced a new fanbase in Canada, what's not to like about them? sure they might have poached Leigh players but if anything that should build a rivalry, having their matches televised is important, we want the sport to grow and be seen!! NOT STAGNATE!!! but you get my point?

Archived