Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Farmduck

Obituary Thread - 2018

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

10 hours ago, jayemm said:

Former Labour cabinet minister Dame Tessa Jowell aged 70. 

Expected, but still very sad. We need more politicians like Tessa, not less.

• Like 2

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

This species has amused itself to death

1 hour ago, Stan Doffarf said:

Expected, but still very sad. We need more politicians like Tessa, not less.

Agreed, on both points. :sad:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

29 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Lois lane. Margot Kidder.

Every right-thinking person's favourite Lois Lane, by a country mile. :sad: 

• Like 4

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

My father in law died on Saturday, a lovely fella, keen local politician served on town and district councils, took to writing and painting when he was diagnosed with cancer.

Had two books published about his travels in the 60's.  Turns out while he thought his paintings sold quite well, all the family and friends we've reminisced with so far have bought at least one but never confessed to him that they'd bought one, each sale bought an epic amount of pride none of us had the heart to fess up I suspect!

• Like 4

Glenn Branca, noisy guitary composer/conductor.

21 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Every right-thinking person's favourite Lois Lane, by a country mile. :sad: 

It's been such a long time since I watched those films and I've forgotten virtually everything about them except for … how much the younger me really took an interest in Lois Lane.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Author Tom Wolfe.

Richard Goodwin, speechwriter for JFK, LBJ, RFK and Al Gore.

He wrote Johnson's seminal "We Shall Overcome" speech which preceded the Voting Rights Act, Robert Kennedy's "tiny ripples of hope" speech in South Africa and Al Gore's 2000 election concession speech.

He was also the husband of Doris Kearns Goodwin.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/21/613062729/richard-goodwin-crafter-of-johnsons-famous-we-shall-overcome-speech-dies

Poster designer Bill Gold. You may not know his name, but you probably know some of his work.

Antonio Lupatelli aka Tony Wolf and a few other pseudonyms, cartoon illustrator, 88.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/pingu-illustrator-tony-wolf-dies-131027118.html?guccounter=1

image.jpeg.f502e49c5a2edf85da960fd4659cde30.jpeg

SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...

32 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Antonio Lupatelli aka Tony Wolf and a few other pseudonyms, cartoon illustrator, 88.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/pingu-illustrator-tony-wolf-dies-131027118.html?guccounter=1

image.jpeg.f502e49c5a2edf85da960fd4659cde30.jpeg

Back in the days when video libraries were the cool place to be I was in videorama early one Saturday evening and observed the pond life in front of me giving a copy of one of the Pingu videos back to the shop owner and having a massive paddy because “it’s all in foreign. How are my kids and me supposed to understand that when it’s in foreign?”

• Haha 1

Brendan Ingle, the great boxing coach, who produced Herol 'Bomber' Graham and 'Prince' Naseem Hamed.

He developed a distinctive boxing style with his stable of fighters.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Shadow said:

Back in the days when video libraries were the cool place to be I was in videorama early one Saturday evening and observed the pond life in front of me giving a copy of one of the Pingu videos back to the shop owner and having a massive paddy because “it’s all in foreign. How are my kids and me supposed to understand that when it’s in foreign?”

Sounds about right.

I bought a Pingu dvd for my lad when he was little having seen one or two episodes on a cartoon compilation dvd he was given. We all found them absolutely brilliant, the way they managed to get so many different expressions and mannerisms out of what appears to be such a simple cartoon character is an absolute joy.

SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...