Sign in to follow this  
Farmduck

Obituary Thread - 2018

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

46 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Kenneth Haigh, Keith Barron both died recently, both born in Mexborough, Brian Blessed must be looking over his shoulder!

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Ex St Helens fullback Geoff Pimblett. He'd been in hospital since just before Christmas. Met him briefly a couple of times, a genuinely nice bloke.

RIP

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Sad to hear of Geoff Pimblett's passing.

He was one of the first to make my "Favourite players at other clubs" list.

RIP Geoff, thanks for the memories.

SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...

8 minutes ago, Jeff Stein said:

Didn't realise at the time but the great soul blues singer Denise Lasalle died a week into the New Year.

That post of yours was the first I'd heard of it.

10 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Sad to hear of Geoff Pimblett's passing.

He was one of the first to make my "Favourite players at other clubs" list.

RIP Geoff, thanks for the memories.

73, not a great age (I'm 71!)  IIRC he missed the CC semi at Headingley in 1979.  Had he been playing I doubt Wakey would have won.

• Like 1

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Billy Graham

Wonder where he'll end up?

Edited by Old Frightful

SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

Emma Chambers, aka Alice Tinker from 'The Vicar of Dibley', aged just 53.

comedy stars always seem to die so young- she was a great sidekick to dawn french

Edited by graveyard johnny

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

Just sent text to daughter saying Alice had died.  She replied Dibley or Cooper?  Loved the Alice character they must have had fun making the series.

That dawning realisation that politicians are worse than the Mafia

I especially loved the bit at the end of each episode, where Geraldine would try to tell a joke, and Alice would just demolish it with the raw power of incomprehension.

Genuinely shocked by the death of Emma Chambers; someone at so talented and a few years younger than me. So sad.

• Sad 1

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Sad about this one,she was one of the few people that I wish we had seen more of,you kind of feel ripped off to a certain extent,great talent and very funny. God rest her.

• Like 2

Always sad when someone dies, even worse when they are younger than me, it didn't used to happen very often, worryingly, it's happening more often now.

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

Emma Chambers is a shock, very funny and talented. R.I.P.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Steve Folkes has died at the age of 59 after suffering a heart attack.

He was a member of Canterbury's famous 1980 "Entertainers" team which won the grand final over Eastern Suburbs and also featured in the premiership wins in 1984, '85 and '88.

Folkes retired in 1991 after playing 269 games in the blue and white. He also represented NSW on nine occasions and Australia.

He went on to coach the team to the 2004 grand final win over the Roosters during an 11-year stint at the helm of the club.

11 hours ago, Farmduck said:

Steve Folkes has died at the age of 59 after suffering a heart attack.

Heard the news this morning, very sad.

Played for Hull FC for a season at the Boulevard. If I remember right he suffered a broken jaw and lost a few teeth after an opposition forward raised his elbow in the tackle.

It might have been painful but it was quite a high compliment from whichever thug it was.

RIP Steve.