Sign in to follow this  
Farmduck

Obituary Thread - 2018

2 hours ago, tim2 said:

Two days early but sadly now true

61 is no age -  when you think of all that football fitness regime over his career too!

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

2 hours ago, tim2 said:

I went to a Rangers game when he played there in the late 80s and he was just too good for the opposition. He sat back and dominated the game while being brilliantly entertaining without any sign of the ego other really good players have. 

• Like 1

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

Also a good pundit, and someone about whom nobody seems to have a bad word. So long, Butch.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

6 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Only4yrs older than me ffs

theres no rhyme and reason - obese Bernard manning lived till he was 76, chips booze and fags - june brown (dot cotton) is 90 and a very heavy life long smoker but fine, then a former England football captain is taken at that age, luck? genes? who knows ?

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

21 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

theres no rhyme and reason - obese Bernard manning lived till he was 76, chips booze and fags - june brown (dot cotton) is 90 and a very heavy life long smoker but fine, then a former England football captain is taken at that age, luck? genes? who knows ?

It just shows that life (and life expectancy) is a lot more complex than the authors of neurotic, exclusion-based diet/lifestyle books would have you believe. But that's mainly because most of them are hack frauds.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

9 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

It just shows that life (and life expectancy) is a lot more complex than the authors of neurotic, exclusion-based diet/lifestyle books would have you believe. But that's mainly because most of them are hack frauds.

yep, theres an old couple we know who have seriously  hammered the booze for years (both fit as fiddles) - think the difference between them 

and people who would have long gone before now drinking the same amount is down to them eating well and often, simple as that, as my mate always says, you never see fat alcoholics

Keith Richards is 74. By rights he should have been dead for at least 40 years.

When your number's up, it's up. Until then, enjoy what you've got.

• Like 2

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

This species has amused itself to death

It is like drawing tombola tickets.

A healthy lifestyle can mean you draw fewer tickets, but if you draw your number it is over.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

19 hours ago, tim2 said:

I remember once a soccer journalist referring to him as "The English player who has the strange habit of passing the ball to his team mates"

Also when he played for Manchester United, despite being a Londoner, he had a good knowledge of Rugby League, which he showed on more than one occasion on A Question of Sport. I honestly think he enjoyed our game.

2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

A healthy lifestyle can mean you draw fewer tickets, but if you draw your number it is over.

Wow, tombolas in Denmark sound a bit scary.

• Haha 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

7 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Wow, tombolas in Denmark sound a bit scary.

Have you not seen many Von Trier films?

• Haha 2

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

That's about the best description I've seen of mortality I've seen.

• Thanks 1

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

6 hours ago, ckn said:

That's about the best description I've seen of mortality I've seen.

Years of being a scientist finally paid off for Bob8 :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Eric Bristow 60

Confirmed.

On 03/04/2018 at 8:59 PM, Padge said:

Didn't he do Hill Street Blues?

Just checked he did, great series with some wonderful characters.

Slightly off topic but the entire series is available on All4

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Isao Takahata, Studio Ghibli co-founder. I never rated him as consistently brilliant as Hayao Miyazaki, but his best work is superb. 'Grave of the Fireflies' really is one of Studio Ghibli's all-time classics.

12 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Eric Bristow 60

I thought he would of been older for some reason.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

10 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Isao Takahata, Studio Ghibli co-founder. I never rated him as consistently brilliant as Hayao Miyazaki, but his best work is superb. 'Grave of the Fireflies' really is one of Studio Ghibli's all-time classics.

I have all but 4 of the Studio Ghibli films, and quite a few non-Ghibli anime films, but Ghibli are the best. My favourites are Princess Mononoke, When Marnie was There, and Kiki's Delivery Service

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

I have all but 4 of the Studio Ghibli films, and quite a few non-Ghibli anime films, but Ghibli are the best. My favourites are Princess Mononoke, When Marnie was There, and Kiki's Delivery Service

Two excellent choices, and I have got 'Marnie' but haven't watched it yet, so maybe three.

Not having watched a huge amount of Anime, I have probably missed more than a few classics of the genre, but I do have 'Akira', which is amazing.

19 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Eric Bristow 60

just seen an interview with bobby George, seems the crafty cockney was no advocate of the Mediterranean diet - booze fags and vinadaloo and live life to the full, good old Eric - true legend

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

just seen an interview with bobby George, seems the crafty cockney was no advocate of the Mediterranean diet - booze fags and vinadaloo and live life to the full, good old Eric - true legend

Good on him indeed, I’d rather die at 60 having led a full and happy life than go at 90 having been miserable. Enjoy yourself, you only get one go at it.

• Like 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

8 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Good on him indeed, I’d rather die at 60 having led a full and happy life than go at 90 having been miserable. Enjoy yourself, you only get one go at it.

how many Mediterranean world darts champions do you know?

22 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Eric Bristow 60

he could have only checked out at treble 20 when you think about it though, true british sporting great never be another eric bristow

• Like 2