Discord: How will Nigel Wood be remembered?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a couple of recent posts sums it up for me.

Martyn Sadler criticised him for the RLWC kick off times (iirc) because he was RLIF Chairman. An issue far removed from an RLIF Chairman.

But when claiming credit for things like Grand Finals, Magic, TWP and Toulouse etc. he gets sneers.

The game has gone backwards over the past seasons with Mr Nigel in charge, maybe sport England will look favourable now on our game since Mr Woods is departing, fingers crossed.

12 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

He nearly ruined my club when he was part of it then tried to have another go with his poor ideas when at the RFL.

I think there were several contributory factors. I'm not sure of the extent of his contribution. Perhaps you could elaborate.

3 hours ago, northamptoncougar said:

A weak willed Baffoon with zero vision or commercial ability imo 

I disagree I think he had vision, he wanted to expand the game, look at Magic Weekend, Catalans and Toronto, all three IMO have been a success, Magic gets bumper crowds in newcastle, Catalans have been established in SL for 10 years and Toronto averaged 6-7K in their first season. 

Transparancy has let him down, look at the Bulls? what's the league structure gonna be? how much are Betfred and Sky paying? Etc  

Good point. We want the best person for the job, not someone from someones list of mates. How was Richard Lewis recruited? Was the job and recruitment process advertised ? Does the RFL board actually know what they want?

Maybe use the services of people like these: https://www.odgersberndtson.com/en-gb

Or ask  Alan Sugar to run "the process"  live...on national TV....?

Lost opportunity to kick the game on in the RLWC 2013 aftermath

Presiding over reductions in development officers, which in turn has led to much reduced participation levels and teams in and out of the heartland areas, and appearing to be doing absolutely nothing about it. Even if its to slow the decline than turn it around

On the same theme - also presiding over a much reduced player pool in the pro & semi pro ranks (which I think will hurt the game further yet, even if the status quo is maintained) by 'allowing' clubs not to field or develop players through reserves and academies, which will result in a higher attrition rate of players leaving the game in the ages 17 - 23, and greater risk of losing future stars like McClelland

On the plus side

Appointing Sally Bolton - if he did?

A realisation that we need to know about and sell international fixtures in advance rather than a few weeks before - e.g upcoming NZ series

Don't know how much influence that Woods had on any of the above, but as he's the man at the top he's accountable

11 hours ago, Tongs ya bas said:

I think there were several contributory factors. I'm not sure of the extent of his contribution. Perhaps you could elaborate.

I can't post my opinion on here because last time I did the posts had to be removed and although factually correct the lack of recorded evidence means that admin will not take that chance.

I will stick to my opinion that he nearly ruined my club though.

The guy has stolen a living out of rugby league..

What he did at Halifax was disgraceful

What he's done at the RFL and the way the game has shrunk is disgraceful

And the whole RFL - Bradford bulls 2.0,3.0,4.0 nonsense is borderline illegal and brings the whole game into disrepute..

And now he's taking his fat,grubby little fingers to the RLIF....God help us. 

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

40 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I can't post my opinion on here because last time I did the posts had to be removed and although factually correct the lack of recorded evidence means that admin will not take that chance.

I will stick to my opinion that he nearly ruined my club though.

So you have no evidence. I see.

54 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

The guy has stolen a living out of rugby league..

What he did at Halifax was disgraceful

What he's done at the RFL and the way the game has shrunk is disgraceful

And the whole RFL - Bradford bulls 2.0,3.0,4.0 nonsense is borderline illegal and brings the whole game into disrepute..

And now he's taking his fat,grubby little fingers to the RLIF....God help us. 

Plenty of people could have influenced him not having decent money as well Spud.  But they didn’t.

he hasn’t got the RLIF job yet either.

Archived