Discord: How will Nigel Wood be remembered?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

£200 million TV deal.

Attempts to unite the sport after the ruination of licencing

If Bradford hadn't crashed a bit more, we'd now have 17 full time clubs

His biggest legacy is the sport moving into the new world,its vital his successor doesn't waste this opportunity,February's superleague meeting could be the most important meeting EVER for the whole sport 

2 minutes ago, jpmc said:

£200 million TV deal.

Attempts to unite the sport after the ruination of licencing

If Bradford hadn't crashed a bit more, we'd now have 17 full time clubs

His biggest legacy is the sport moving into the new world,its vital his successor doesn't waste this opportunity,February's superleague meeting could be the most important meeting EVER for the whole sport 

It takes nothing to say OK to some bloke in Toronto or new York who wants to spend ten's of millions on a team....all of us can say OK!

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

1 minute ago, roughyedspud said:

It takes nothing to say OK to some bloke in Toronto or new York who wants to spend ten's of millions on a team....all of us can say OK!

He could have said no,go and start your own league

3 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

As you can see with all the criticism and fuss over TWP it isnt just a case of saying yes.

3 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

I am glad to see him gone.

But I disagree with the post above and it is another example of not understanding is job.  He has very little power.  Had he said, "Yes, in you go", he would have been out quickly.  He had to get the Championship, League 1 and SL clubs to agree.  And they all have different fears. 

He relied on many smaller clubs for his support base, who are the very ones who would have most to fear from Toronto or Toulouse.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I recall a poster, possibly Dave T, saying that while everyone despaired of Wood, the nearest thing we could agree on as an alterntative to Woods approach was that he should:
- Be nicer to my club
- Eat fewer pies

There are plenty on here who think we should go back the old days and everything will be great.  There some who think we should get lots of North American clubs in and that would solve everything.  We cannot even agree what Super League is actually for.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

It doesnt wash Bob, that was his job. He was the leader of the game and very handsomely paid to be that leader. A leader who can't get people to follow is just a guy taking a walk.

We dont need to pay someone 300k a year to put together a fixture list and organise referees. An admin assistant could do that. Wood was a CEO. If he couldnt implement his vision and his strategy thats a CEO doing his job poorly. Thats the skills he was supposed to have, the skills we were supposed to be paying £300k a year for. 

His pay rate was absurd.  Frankly, we could have got a proper professional in for that much.  I am happy to see him go.

I still say that much of the criticism is unfair.  He does not have the power that many assume and having considered why Richard Lewis thought highly of him (from what I have seen and heard, he is not a formidable intellect), I think it is not for his great strategic mind, but his ability to get things done.

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I wouldnt necessarily say his pay rate was absurd, it probably is what we need to pay to get what we need. He just wasnt it. 

That was the thing, there is no suggestion that Nigel Wood is going to be headhunted at a similar rate by any other sport.

For somebody who apparently couldnt get people to follow he managed to get plenty of change through!

My issue with him is he is a finance guy rather than a visionary and that can only take you so far but he has managed to influence plenty in his time.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

For somebody who apparently couldnt get people to follow he managed to get plenty of change through!

My issue with him is he is a finance guy rather than a visionary and that can only take you so far but he has managed to influence plenty in his time.

I’ll go with that bottom statement. He should be applauded for the financial stability he brought to the RFL and the TV deals he’s delivered. He certainly influenced people with league restructuring/intro of Toronto and ensuring we had the best team possible to deliver RLWC13.

But I personally believe much of the influence has been used poorly and in the wrong places at the wrong times for much of his tenure. Despite some highly positive strategic wins for Wood, the operational delivery area has not been and he’s judged on that rightly or wrongly.

7 hours ago, Tongs ya bas said:

So you have no evidence. I see.

Oh I have friends that can vouch for it too. They don't post on here though. Stick to your "if you can't post evidence on here then it never happened" stance. Like I said, he nearly ruined my club and has gone a long way down the road of ruining the game as well.

SALARY

I think he was well overpaid for what he achieved and for what little money the RFL has/had. How many people were made redundant over the past decade? And yet his wage went up and up! Sorry but there was no justification for his big wage.

GRASSROOTS

I feel this was an area that the RFL has made a real mess of and has done little to help. We have seen many Clubs disappear and the The RFLs relationship between the amateur game and BARLA has been poor for me. We have seen how many D.Os made redunant with many areas no longer having any RL developed in the Schools. This is a massive concern and the future of the whole game must have a strong Grassroots or else we will see big problems. Nigel Wood and the RFL have seemingly the opinion this is not a concern for me. Its one of my biggest concerns within the game. We cant just rely on the great work of a few Clubs like Siddal and see a host of other Clubs like Elland for example disappear and think nothing of it. The Summer Leagues especially outside the heartlands seem to be again another area where the RFL didnt really support or understand the needs of the Clubs. 

LOWER LEAGUES

I know a few people at various Clubs (or no longer at them) who feel the RFL and Nigel didnt listen to what they needed and just shoved things down on them. From my understanding there was not much of a good relationship between the people at the Clubs and the RFL/Nigel. It will be interesting to see if this changes when the new person comes in. I think some bridges need to be mended...The League 1 and the forced expansion in bringing Clubs from outside the Heartlands was a good idea badly managed. Some Clubs are a Joke on how they exist and others simply were never really ready to be Pro Clubs. Was it really wise to have Oxford, S.Wales and Gloucester in and the money spent on them? Is it really worth having Hemel in and spending money on them in their current setup? 

WIERD IDEAS THAT FAILED

Nigel Wood and the RFL tried some ideas that simply were bad ideas. The Bonus Point System in the Lowe Leagues, The Sponsorship of the SL for seemingly no money. The decision to Livestream the England v Samoa game over putting it on BBC for example. I agree you need to look outside the box at times. But some of the ideas hurt the game for me and alienated people.

INTERNATIONALS

I am disappointed that England have not had any home games at times for nearly 2 years. The International game is where we need to sell the game and also create interest. I know its not easy with the attitude of the Australians but we have other options like PNG, France, Wales, Pacific Islanders. Why no midseason game using just players from SL? I think some of the venues used have been poor as well. If we are going to take a game to London, Coventry etc, need to plan ahead and work with the Council and amateur Clubs in them areas on how we can push the game on that weekend but also before and after the event. Just putting a game on there is not enough and is a waste of money and opportunity if we are not going to use that to develop the game in the area properly.

SUMMARY

Nigel Wood was not the right man for the Job. He tried hard, but he failed in many areas.He was on a wage that wasnt justified for various reasons. His record at Halifax and how he did things is well known. I dont think he has learnt much from his mistakes there. In fact he still tries to push the blame on to others according to some friends I know who chatted briefly to Nigel in the past year. I think while he wasnt the worst person that the RFL has ever had he certainly is a fair way from the best. I wish him well in whatever he decides to do. If thats the International Game then that will be a tough Job for various reasons especially the attitude from Australia and at time NZ .

The RFL have done some good things like the Magic Bash, the various games at Youth Level v France and Wales, The helping of Toulouse and Toronto to play in the British Leages for example and Nigel deserves some praise for that, as he has helped support that in a big way. The next Person has just a hard job as Nigel had. Its a very tough job and one that most people would struggle at. I would rather the RFL took its time and worked out what it wants exactly and where it wants to go before rushing in to fill the most important job in British RL. Get it wrong and the sport will continue to struggle at all levels. Get the right Person in and the game could in time see a massive benefit that will go along way to growing the Sport at all levels all across the Country

48 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Oh I have friends that can vouch for it too. They don't post on here though. Stick to your "if you can't post evidence on here then it never happened" stance. Like I said, he nearly ruined my club and has gone a long way down the road of ruining the game as well.

So we are on the hearsay waggon.

You are making a major allegation against an individual.

You provide no information regarding what that individual is supposed to have done.

If you are going to make such allegations, then too right you are going to have to be able to back it up with evidence.

He was CEO of one of the UK's major sports for over a decade. His achievements and failures will always be open to conjecture. The reality is will he be high on the shopping list of any other major sport if they are looking to recruit? If the answer is no way, it implies that RL has been short changed. 

33 minutes ago, Scubby said:

He was CEO of one of the UK's major sports for over a decade. His achievements and failures will always be open to conjecture. The reality is will he be high on the shopping list of any other major sport if they are looking to recruit? If the answer is no way, it implies that RL has been short changed. 

Unless he just goes to the RLIF.

He was always looking where he was whenting from instead of where he was coming against.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

the biggest question now has to be who his replacement will be, it has to be someone that understands the game from the grassroots up, just hope it isn't a job for the boys crack.

8 minutes ago, BIG MAC said:

the biggest question now has to be who his replacement will be, it has to be someone that understands the game from the grassroots up, just hope it isn't a job for the boys crack.

Wrong, you want somebody who doesn't know about the game from grass roots up, or even SL down.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

He's done some good things and some bad things, but the overriding feeling I've had from the RFL in his time as CEO is that they're 'dodgy'. By that I mean there's not a lot of transparency or accountability, and a lot of what they do seems to happen in fairly questionable, ad hoc fashion. He's achieved some good things that shouldn't be dismissed, but overall he's never inspired a lot of confidence. Time for a change - hopefully they get it right.

17 hours ago, Tongs ya bas said:

So we are on the hearsay waggon.

You are making a major allegation against an individual.

You provide no information regarding what that individual is supposed to have done.

If you are going to make such allegations, then too right you are going to have to be able to back it up with evidence.

Grow up.

I rarely if ever look at what Mascord publishes as Journalism but to understand the subsequent posts on this thread I had to have a gander.

It confirmed why I don't have any interest in his hyped over the top thoughts he publishes to promote himself.

"If we have a Super League involving New York and Perth and Boston and the NRL is wondering how it became a feeder comp?"

Give it up Mascord.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Archived