Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Maximus Decimus

The Culture Wars

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Ideally, you'd hope that gets accurately filed under 'didn't happen' or 'genuine misunderstanding' very quickly.

I sincerely hope so.


The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Speaks volumes.

What's your point? Don't you think that an Imam with years of training and work experience would know a lot more about Islam and Muslim men that I would?

 

6 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

out of the Muslim men you know, how many do you think would commit such an act?

We don't have many Muslims around here, mainly Hindus, Buddhists and Catholics. I don't know any Muslim men who would do it. I also don't know any school shooters. Does that mean they don't exist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Ideally, you'd hope that gets accurately filed under 'didn't happen' or 'genuine misunderstanding' very quickly.

Well you did have a guy's asylum request rejected because Christianity is not a religion of peace so it is at least plausible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Well you did have a guy's asylum request rejected because Christianity is not a religion of peace so it is at least plausible.

Different bunch of dead-eyed order-followers but point taken.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Farmduck said:

So the Vice Chancellor of Cambridge has issued a statement about the rescinding of Jordan Peterson's invitation:  https://www.cam.ac.uk/news/rescindment-of-visiting-fellowship-statement-from-vice-chancellor-professor-stephen-j-toope

Here are a couple of highlights:

But then he goes on to say:

So, isn't Islam a set of ideas? It's not an immutable personal characteristic or trait. Where does an identity stop and a set of ideas begin? Can a person avoid criticism of their ideas by simply adopting them as part of their identity?

Another point: If I wore a T-shirt that said ###### Ni****rs and stood next to the Vice Chancellor of Cambridge for a photo, would he have to be fired?

Normally I would expect the obligatory smear piece from the Guardian but this time, even The Times got in on the act:   https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cambridge-turns-away-alt-right-darling-jordan-peterson-njq6q5h5b

"Alt Right darling?" Here is article from https://alt-right.com/2018/05/12/jordan-peterson-hand-selected-jewish-tv-producer-lead-dissent/

Just a few choice quotes from the article:

 

 

Have the alt-right nutters turned against Peterson now?   I thought he was one of their own. 

I tried to read one of his books once.   It was the kind of drivel that thick people think is clever. 


English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

What's your point? Don't you think that an Imam with years of training and work experience would know a lot more about Islam and Muslim men that I would?

 

We don't have many Muslims around here, mainly Hindus, Buddhists and Catholics. I don't know any Muslim men who would do it. I also don't know any school shooters. Does that mean they don't exist?

What a ridiculous argument.

 

The point being neither Yaxley Lennon nor the Iman made the distinction between a tiny minority of Muslim men and all Muslim men.

The recent terrorist attack was committed by a white man with right wing views do you think its a valid statement to make that White men with right wing views are terrorists or is it only ok to generalise if its Muslims?

Edited by Chrispmartha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Steve May said:

Have the alt-right nutters turned against Peterson now?   I thought he was one of their own. 

I tried to read one of his books once.   It was the kind of drivel that thick people think is clever. 

Why would the Alt Right like someone who has always opposed collectivist thinking? Nobody who has ever listened to Peterson would think he supported the Alt Right or that they would support him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Farmduck said:

Why would the Alt Right like someone who has always opposed collectivist thinking? Nobody who has ever listened to Peterson would think he supported the Alt Right or that they would support him.

I don’t know.  I don’t take either Peterson or the alt right very seriously. 

It just seems like a lot of bellends like Peterson so I assumed they were all in it together.  


English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

What a ridiculous argument.

 

The point being neither Yacley Lennon nor the Iman made the distinction between a tiny minority of Muslim men and all Muslim men.

The recent terrorist attack was committed by a white man with right wing views do you think its a valid statement to make that White men with right wing views are terrorists or is it only ok to geralise if its Muslims?

Right wing man who refers to himself as an eco-fascist, hates capitalism and admired China....what a joke 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Why would the Alt Right like someone who has always opposed collectivist thinking? Nobody who has ever listened to Peterson would think he supported the Alt Right or that they would support him.

Painting someone as alt right is just a way to discredit them. It’s a typical leftist tactic in debates, just like accusations of racism and bigotry when it’s completely unwarranted 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Yorkshire Knight said:

Painting someone as alt right is just a way to discredit them. It’s a typical leftist tactic in debates, just like accusations of racism and bigotry when it’s completely unwarranted 

These people who've been jailed. Do you have the list yet?


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Right wing man who refers to himself as an eco-fascist, hates capitalism and admired China....what a joke 

He loved your man Trump though.

what about answering my point about generalising?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Painting someone as alt right is just a way to discredit them. It’s a typical leftist tactic in debates, just like accusations of racism and bigotry when it’s completely unwarranted 

The Irony...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Painting someone as alt right is just a way to discredit them. It’s a typical leftist tactic in debates, just like accusations of racism and bigotry when it’s completely unwarranted 

Image result for irony meter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Steve May said:

I don’t know.  I don’t take either Peterson or the alt right very seriously. 

It just seems like a lot of bellends like Peterson so I assumed they were all in it together.  

You have to take Peterson seriously because he once made Cathy Newman look foolish.

Granted, a Caesar Salad can make Cathy Newman look foolish but no matter.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

He loved your man Trump though.

what about answering my point about generalising?

Again false! He saw Trump as good for white resurgence but thought he is terrible as a leader and policy maker 

Edited by Yorkshire Knight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

What a ridiculous argument.

 

The point being neither Yacley Lennon nor the Iman made the distinction between a tiny minority of Muslim men and all Muslim men.

The recent terrorist attack was committed by a white man with right wing views do you think its a valid statement to make that White men with right wing views are terrorists or is it only ok to geralise if its Muslims?

The Imam made that statement in reaction to the conviction of a gang of Australian Muslim men who were convicted of gang rape. He clearly thought it was a point worth making although he said it in Arabic so perhaps he was directing it at a specific group within his congregation.

His statement wasn't that ALL Muslim men are rapists. His statement was that Muslims couldn't be blamed for raping immodestly-dressed women.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

The Imam made that statement in reaction to the conviction of a gang of Australian Muslim men who were convicted of gang rape. He clearly thought it was a point worth making although he said it in Arabic so perhaps he was directing it at a specific group within his congregation.

His statement wasn't that ALL Muslim men are rapists. His statement was that Muslims couldn't be blamed for raping immodestly-dressed women.

 

He was victim blaming and its abhorrent

And Yaxley Lennon, what distinction did he make?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Again false! He saw Trump as good for white resurgence but thought he is terrible as a leader and policy maker 

Yes he was a racist.

And my point about generalising?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Yorkshire Knight said:

Plenty of white leftist racists around 

I’m sure there are.

OK let me play your game I’ll take left/right out of it

 

Do you think its a valid statement to make that White Racist men are terrorists?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

I’m sure there are.

OK let me play your game I’ll take left/right out of it

 

Do you think its a valid statement to make that White Racist men are terrorists?

That depends. Have they committed terrorist acts? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...