Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Maximus Decimus

The Culture Wars

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

White American leftist women are seriously ridiculous. Probably the most privileged demographic in the developed world but act like the biggest victims.

You might have a point about that, but focusing on the actual issue, I don't see a problem with recognising that we need to update certain things (including signage) to reflect the modern world.

I'm not saying that a "Men at work" sign is the ultimate in sexism or anything like that, but I do think it needs changing. I'm pretty sure when the time comes to replace that sign, that we can come up with an alternative message. I don't know - "Contractors at work", or something like that?

I very much doubt that the sign itself is discouraging women from wanting to do the job, but that's a different point altogether.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

You might have a point about that, but focusing on the actual issue, I don't see a problem with recognising that we need to update certain things (including signage) to reflect the modern world.

I'm not saying that a "Men at work" sign is the ultimate in sexism or anything like that, but I do think it needs changing. I'm pretty sure when the time comes to replace that sign, that we can come up with an alternative message. I don't know - "Contractors at work", or something like that?

I very much doubt that the sign itself is discouraging women from wanting to do the job, but that's a different point altogether.

Don't encourage him, he's a massive misogynist who tries to intellectualise his hate for women.  How can this loser continue to pollute this board?  I have him on ignore but, because people keep quoting him, I have to read his asinine hatred for anybody who isn't a white conservative man.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bbfaz said:

Don't encourage him, he's a massive misogynist who tries to intellectualise his hate for women.  How can this loser continue to pollute this board?  I have him on ignore but, because people keep quoting him, I have to read his asinine hatred for anybody who isn't a white conservative man.

Aye, this thread used to be interesting. It has now become like Twitter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

You might have a point about that, but focusing on the actual issue, I don't see a problem with recognising that we need to update certain things (including signage) to reflect the modern world.

I'm not saying that a "Men at work" sign is the ultimate in sexism or anything like that, but I do think it needs changing. I'm pretty sure when the time comes to replace that sign, that we can come up with an alternative message. I don't know - "Contractors at work", or something like that?

I very much doubt that the sign itself is discouraging women from wanting to do the job, but that's a different point altogether.

I think that women should be polled about things like this.  As a woman I'm not remotely bothered by a 'men at work' sign but some women may be sensitive to it I suppose.  Either way, men don't need to be making such decisions on behalf of women without first consulting women.  And I mean women generally, ordinary women, not left wing political activist women only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Saintslass said:

I think that women should be polled about things like this.  As a woman I'm not remotely bothered by a 'men at work' sign but some women may be sensitive to it I suppose.  Either way, men don't need to be making such decisions on behalf of women without first consulting women.  And I mean women generally, ordinary women, not left wing political activist women only.

 

Men at work or similar just isn't factually correct, it is just outdated and things like that absolutely should be refreshed, whether it bothers enough people or not. 

If you are not bothered by Men at Work, surely you wouldn't be bothered by People at Work, so asking you wouldn't really tell us anything. 

You can't dismiss views because they are more extreme than yours (well, we can personally, but not in making decisions).

And men aren't making these decisions on behalf of women.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 11:02, Dave T said:

 

Men at work or similar just isn't factually correct, it is just outdated and things like that absolutely should be refreshed, whether it bothers enough people or not. 

If you are not bothered by Men at Work, surely you wouldn't be bothered by People at Work, so asking you wouldn't really tell us anything. 

You can't dismiss views because they are more extreme than yours (well, we can personally, but not in making decisions).

And men aren't making these decisions on behalf of women.

You just have, in effect, by saying that if I'm not bothered by men at work they surely I wouldn't be bothered by people at work so asking me wouldn't really tell us anything.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

You just have, in effect, by saying that if I'm not bothered by men at work they surely I wouldn't be bothered by people at work so asking me wouldn't really tell us anything.  

You can hold whatever view you want, I'm not dismissing it, 8m dismissing the idea that a poll is a good way of making these decisions.

Public votes lead to stupid decisions.

If a poll showed 10% of people were bothered by this, then there is  case that it should be changed. Even less than that.

Change happens for minority views all the time, we don't need a majority so a poll isnt really needed.

Edited by Dave T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Will the band have to change their name? 😉

PS Only posted this so I was the last to post in the top 4 of AOB. 👍

I'm only posting this so you're not but what about 80s band Mental As Anything.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 This amazing woman just told white American leftists what I’ve always wanted to tell them. I can’t help but sit with a huge grin while watching this knowing how uncomfortable the truth made white American leftists sitting in that building and many more watching especially when it comes from a black woman. Take a bow Ms Owens! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And just when you think it can’t get any better, Ms Owens rips the Democrats a new one! Absolutely amazing!

Let us analyse the events of the video: 

First Democrat Ted Lieu thinks he’s slick by playing a clip of Ms Owens out of context. Then Democrat Chairman Nadler creates a strawman argument. 

Needless to say the amazing, classy, educated, intelligent Ms Owens dismantles both of them stating that the above are typical tactics used by American leftists to create false narratives. The shrug of the shoulders by Nadler and the stupid look on Lieu’s face say it all! 

“By the way I would like to also add that I work for Prager University which is run by an Orthodox Jew. Not a single Democrat showed up to the embassy opening in Jerusalem. I sat on a plane for 18 hours to make sure that I was there. I’m deeply offended by the insinuation of revealing that clip without the question that was asked of me.” 

What a bloody awesome response! The deceitful Democrat tried to paint her as being anti-Semitic but she fired that garbage right back at him with facts. 

What’s even more surprising is that fake news CNN posted the whole clip. Usually they’d exclude the response by a conservative. But of course that was all undone with their misleading fake news title!

 

 

Edited by Yorkshire Knight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/04/2019 at 07:32, Saintslass said:

I think that women should be polled about things like this.  As a woman I'm not remotely bothered by a 'men at work' sign but some women may be sensitive to it I suppose.

Would you be bothered by it if you were working on that job and the only sign they had available said "Men Working"?

I'm not saying that I'd expect you to go mad with rage, but surely you'd want the sign to be accurate? I certainly would if it was the other way round and I was doing a job but the sign said "Women Working". I wouldn't be furious, but I'd want the sign changed so that I was being included.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Would you be bothered by it if you were working on that job and the only sign they had available said "Men Working"?

I'm not saying that I'd expect you to go mad with rage, but surely you'd want the sign to be accurate? I certainly would if it was the other way round and I was doing a job but the sign said "Women Working". I wouldn't be furious, but I'd want the sign changed so that I was being included.

I've worked in a huge number of teams where I've been the only bloke. Thinking about it, it's been far more common that not.

"Well done ladies ... oh, and Jon" may very well be on my tombstone.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prayer University isn’t a university.


With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Would you be bothered by it if you were working on that job and the only sign they had available said "Men Working"?

I'm not saying that I'd expect you to go mad with rage, but surely you'd want the sign to be accurate? I certainly would if it was the other way round and I was doing a job but the sign said "Women Working". I wouldn't be furious, but I'd want the sign changed so that I was being included.

Indeed. It isnt about getting frothy mouthed, it is just a case of moving with the times. I'm not sure why anybody, at all, would oppose changing the wording, even if it was just done as and when signs are replaced which will be regularly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/04/2019 at 04:00, bbfaz said:

I have him on ignore but, because people keep quoting him, I have to read his asinine hatred for anybody who isn't a white conservative man.

I found that if I put people on ignore that's what happens so I stopped.

But anyone who thinks white leftist women are anything other than an endangered or extinct species in the U S needs help and counselling.

"When a man has got the blues and feels discouraged
And has nothing else but trouble all his life
But he's just an honest man like any other
Living in a world that's tearing at his mind
If he's sick and tired of life and takes to drinking
Do not pass him by don't greet him with a frown
Do not fail to lend your hand and try to help him
Always lift him up and never knock him down "


“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/04/2019 at 07:32, Saintslass said:

ordinary women, not left wing political activist women only

This is a distinction beyond my ken, women not just women only should be asked what they think.

"You say either and I say either ...."


“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Oxford said:

But anyone who thinks white leftist women are anything other than an endangered or extinct species in the U S needs help and counselling.

Would you like to elaborate on this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Would you like to elaborate on this? 

Not really I think it's self explanatory really though if we need me to say we should be more understanding rather than scathing, I'm happy to do so, in fact I think I just did!

Well done me !

Edited by Oxford

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Not really I think it's self explanatory really though if we need me to say we should be more understanding rather than scathing, I'm happy to do so, in fact I think I just did!

Well done me !

Anyone who doesn’t think white leftist women are endangered or an extinct species in the US needs help and counselling. Do you really believe that? 

Talk about 1st world privilege

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Anyone who doesn’t think white leftist women are endangered or an extinct species in the US needs help and counselling. Do you really believe that? 

Talk about 1st world privilege

Do you pick a fight with your shadow?

" If he stays out late at night because he's troubled
Or because his home is not what it should be
Have a smile for him wherever you might meet him
It will help him find the right way don't you see
If he gambles when he's in the town or city
Tell him what he ought to do to win the round
Do not fail to lend your hand to show him pity
Always lift him up and never knock him down "

Edited by Oxford

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

I’m offended by idiotic thought processes, that’s all 

You should try to go easy on yourself about it then.

Just remember "Nobody's perfect!" Joe E Brown in Some like it Hot.


“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

I’m offended by idiotic thought processes, that’s all 

snowflake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...