The Fall

Im a huge fan of Joy Division, Smiths etc...

Ive just listened to The Fall for the first time amd woof... why it taken me so long.

The blindness and totally wired stand out immediately based on the 4 songs so far!!

I need to listsn to more.. where do i start?

Drunk in Singapore

Ben

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

I firmly believe the line-up Mark E.Smith had for The Fall from 5:42pm 'til just after 8 o'clock the same evening on the 20th of March 1992 was the classic one.

Seriously, Mark's book 'Renegade' is very entertaining... but almost certainly an unreliable account of how things happened for the band.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

I firmly believe the line-up Mark E.Smith had for The Fall from 5:42pm 'til just after 8 o'clock the same evening on the 20th of March 1992 was the classic one.

I walked past Mark E Smith in the Ritz once and had to say 'scuse me, I think I'm down on an album as a drummer...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Mark E Smith lived round the corner from my parents in Salford [ but then again, so did Jimmy Saville-a little to brag about!] 

3 hours ago, Jailhouse said:

I never liked them on record and still rarely put them on the stereo, but when i saw them live I was blown away. I recommend you start with a gig!

Very, very variable experience in recent years. MES really not in good health (physically or mentally) and has done some recent gigs in a wheelchair. Not clear to me that he's going to be able to gig much longer. The band has been together for 11 years without anyone being sacked - they're a generation younger than him and musically absolutely spot on, but you have to accept that sometimes you're just going to get essentially random drunk in a park shouting for an hour. Certainly not going to get much (if any) of the 1970s/1980s back catalogue.

6 hours ago, Jailhouse said:

I never liked them on record and still rarely put them on the stereo, but when i saw them live I was blown away. I recommend you start with a gig!

I don''t know i saw them in 91/2 kind of time when he had a lectern on stage and just stood behind it, I was underwhelmed and thought better on vinyl

14 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

I don''t know i saw them in 91/2 kind of time when he had a lectern on stage and just stood behind it, I was underwhelmed and thought better on vinyl

Im sorry you didnt enjoy and have to agree with JonM, live ,they are a hit or miss affair. but that's also part of their enigmatic appeal. he could just as easily fire a band member mid-song 20 minutes in, as he could deliver a jaw dropping 2 hour set which seems like 20 minutes. But isn't that punk? :) The risk wouldnt stop me recommending them on stage while you still can precisely for that reason.

The Fall version of Victoria would be one of my candidates for the "best cover version" thread on here, although the video is quite amusing. Brix obviously had an influence at that point to get him dressed up like a pop star.

Love the Fall. 

As as others have pointed out a fantastic covers band alongside the sometimes surreal musings of M E S. 

Im on an iPad so can't work out how to do the YouTube links but try:

• the legend of Xanadu 
  • Victoria
  • ghost in my house
  • a day in the life
  • and best of all  Lost in Music

• 2 weeks later...

Archived