Will Leeds break SL attendance record?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Pre-sales? Wozzat mean. Surely they are either sold - in which they are sales - or tbey are not sold.

Sales 'pre' the event, rather tan those walking up and paying on the gate

It would be a bit weird if they broke the record for what is a relatively low key game in comparison to the other games close to the record. 

Makes you wonder what one of those could have got in a bigger stadium or even this game if it had been a big well promoted Easter clash. 

I suspect it'll be a little short of the figure but still nice to be in the ballpark. 

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

It would be a bit weird if they broke the record for what is a relatively low key game in comparison to the other games close to the record. 

Makes you wonder what one of those could have got in a bigger stadium or even this game if it had been a big well promoted Easter clash. 

I suspect it'll be a little short of the figure but still nice to be in the ballpark. 

Or alternatively it tells you that when you treat matches as big events rather than non-entities then they will get big crowds.

My initial guess is that they’ve missed out on the record. The bottom tier holds 31,000 and there looks to be more than 6,000 empty seats in the west stand and the corners. There looks to be the odd few in the east upper though.

Edit - Just had another look at the west stand and it looks fuller than I first thought, so who knows.

I really think they could have distributed the fans a lot better.  All those empty seats from the tunnel all the way down to the try line looks terrible.  They should use the entire bottom tier and just have it a bit more sparsely populated.  Anyway.  Will be a close one but I think they may have just fallen short here.24.5k or thereabouts is my guess.

1 hour ago, fevtom said:

My initial guess is that they’ve missed out on the record. The bottom tier holds 31,000 and there looks to be more than 6,000 empty seats in the west stand and the corners. There looks to be the odd few in the east upper though.

Edit - Just had another look at the west stand and it looks fuller than I first thought, so who knows.

Also, it is number of tickets sold, added to walk ups that is announced as the attendance, rather than the number actually in the ground. 

28 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Great crowd. I actually think they would have got 5k more for a Sunday afternoon fixture. Still looked a great atmosphere and will whet the appetite for the next 3/4 meetings between Leeds and Cas this season :/

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Great crowd. I actually think they would have got 5k more for a Sunday afternoon fixture. Still looked a great atmosphere and will whet the appetite for the next 3/4 meetings between Leeds and Cas this season :/

Maybe play it on a Good Friday? I'd like to see us take a game to ER every year, I think most clubs could do it, Wigan v Saints at the Etihad or Anfield, Catalans take a game to Barcelona.

If your gonna play at ER on a Sunday afternoon maybe make it a double header with Hunslet seeing as its in South leeds 

I always imagined Marwan was going to pull of an amazing marketing stunt, by having a heavily promoted Salford v Wigan fixture at Old Trafford, attracting 40,000 or so... I'm sure with the right ambition, free tickets for kids and adults a fiver, flyers on seats of every seat at a Man U game, something like that could have happened.... The knock on effect for Salford might have been incredible.

Likewise, with the right marketing team, I'm sure tonight's game could have slaughtered the existing SL record? Maybe they should have offered cheaper tickets, free entrance for kids, etc... ? Really gone for it, it seems a bit half arsed to me, it needed something more.

I don't know what was happening on the ground in Leeds, but the promotion for this game seemed a bit half-arsed and 11th hour.  It looked like Cas were almost pushing it more than Leeds were!

By the way, Leeds Utd are at home on Good Friday, so it was impossible for them to play it then.

Who knows, maybe one day Bradford will return to Super League and together they will shatter the old record!

13 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I’m sure Leeds could have had a few more but overall it’s a success in my book.

Record Leeds SL crowd, great atmosphere, highly entertaining game. Maybe Leeds v Cas should be a regular game at Elland Road?

I hope not. I couldn’t get out the car park till 23.15. The seats were, as ever, suitable for dwarfs only. Glad it was a good game though

Great game, proud of my team....that fight back took some bottle after the Tigers pulverised them in the first half of the first half...a Rhinos fan sat near me left after 20mins...he couldn't take it haha...nightmares of another 60 plus on the cards for the Tigers...compliments to tigers fans really got behind their team.

I got home at 11 30 with sore knees, crammed in like everyone else in the east stand...a game worth remembering even though my team lost!

Would be nice if Hull tried to break this record whilst they can. The capacity of the KCOM is 25,400.

I'm sure there's something like a 10% empty seats rule for unreserved areas for safety reasons, on top of segregation that drops it down to around 23k.

A bit of forward planning and I reckon you could at least get 25,200 with minimal segregation above the tunnels either side of the North stand, all reserved seats (season pass holders would need to swap for a ticket) and no Sky Screen (use the two stadium screens provided).

Can't see the stadium being expanded any time soon with Hull City's predicament.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

59 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Would be nice if Hull tried to break this record whilst they can. The capacity of the KCOM is 25,400.

I'm sure there's something like a 10% empty seats rule for unreserved areas for safety reasons, on top of segregation that drops it down to around 23k.

A bit of forward planning and I reckon you could at least get 25,200 with minimal segregation above the tunnels either side of the North stand, all reserved seats (season pass holders would need to swap for a ticket) and no Sky Screen (use the two stadium screens provided).

Can't see the stadium being expanded any time soon with Hull City's predicament.

You'd think Hull could break it with the derby, I'm surprised they haven't marketed it this year with its return. 

Just out of interest, what are the top 5 SL attendances?

11 hours ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

Maybe play it on a Good Friday? I'd like to see us take a game to ER every year, I think most clubs could do it, Wigan v Saints at the Etihad or Anfield, Catalans take a game to Barcelona.

If your gonna play at ER on a Sunday afternoon maybe make it a double header with Hunslet seeing as its in South leeds 

Good Friday is for derbys....

Leeds vs Bradford was the usual good Friday clash...

I agree that a good tool for growing support is to take a game to a larger local stadium and make it an event.

Union have done this well!

why go to all the expense of redeveloping Headingley only to have a smaller capacity ? still hoping they will rebuild the WT and bring it up to 25k plus 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

3 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I believe the 10% rule kicks in when a game isn't ticket only, if you have a pay turnstile then 10% of seats have to be left free for some reason.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

We could have taken that 500k given to Leigh and used that to get every club having one big attendance. Or even as a reward for the biggest attendance of the season.

I like your idea of an reward for the biggest crowd of the season.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived