If a second EU referendum happened tomorrow...

If a second EU referendum happened tomorrow...  

58 members have voted

1. 1. If a second EU referendum happened tomorrow, would you...

• Vote the same way as last time?
    • Switch your vote?
    • Not vote?
    • Didn't vote last time but would if given the chance?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting that 2 people (so far) didn't vote last time.  Not old enough or just not inclined to vote?  (Or ill? Overseas?).  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

3 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Overseas

my postal vote arrived 2 days after we flew out on holiday.

i did tell them I had booked my holiday before they announced the referendum and they should reschedule but no joy. 

With your Farage history and not casting a vote, I'm very suspicious of your liberal metropolitan elite credentials...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

3 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Not that a second referendum is likely...

Nor could the question be the same, or none of us would be any the wiser afterwards what the hell had been voted for.

We're too far down the Brexit road for any repeat of the original farce.

We need a vote on accepting or rejecting the actual Brexit terms achieved by the government.

Just now, John Drake said:

Nor could the question be the same, or none of us would be any the wiser afterwards what the hell had been voted for.

We need a vote on accepting or rejecting the actual Brexit terms achieved by the government.

What happens if the terms are rejected?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

44 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I think if there is another referendum it should be between joining EFTA or signing an FTA with the EU. I wouldn't put staying in the EU or no deal on the ballot paper 

54 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

So far, according to this very very small survey, we would get the same result 

There's one thing this poll, even if it was scientific, wouldn't capture - dead voters. And they are a subset who skew heavily leave but won't be here to vote again. They will have been replaced though by young voters who one can assume will remain very heavily pro-remain.

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

If the country voted to give everyone 20 punts to the private parts per day then we had another chance to overturn the idiocy, would you still vote for the 20 punts a day because we’d already paid for the punting boots and lined up the punting stations?  

I’d vote Remain again and still rail against Leave voters and the lies that came from the first referendum. 

Edit: I suppose needless masochism does come from supporting Bradford. ;) 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, M j M said:

There's one thing this poll, even if it was scientific, wouldn't capture - dead voters. And they are a subset who skew heavily leave but won't be here to vote again. They will have been replaced though by young voters who one can assume will remain very heavily pro-remain.

I understand your point. However as people grow older and retire they change their views.

Otherwise Labour would always be in power ?

21 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

I voted to leave and I'd still vote to leave if there was to be another referendum.

Nearly all the people who voted last time would stick with their original choice. I know I would. But the result was really close.

The swing votes in the middle are the ones that could banjax Brexit in a second referendum. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I can't think of a single person I know who's changed their mind, remain or leave since the last time round.

I do know a couple of young people who feel very strongly in favour of remaining who may be eligible to vote next time though.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

7 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Not that a second referendum is likely...

Not unless Corbyn changes his mind, if he does then all bets are off.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

25 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Nearly all the people who voted last time would stick with their original choice. I know I would. But the result was really close.

The swing votes in the middle are the ones that could banjax Brexit in a second referendum. 

Yeah it was very close,I don't think the country has ever been this divided (well not that I know of). We all had our say and the country voted to leave,everyone had their own reasons for voting like they did.It's nice to have a vote,think about them poor sods in North Korea, they don't have that luxury.Will there be another referendum and what will happen after brexit?Nobody knows.We all have our own thoughts.

16 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

I can't think of a single person I know who's changed their mind, remain or leave since the last time round.

I do know a couple of young people who feel very strongly in favour of remaining who may be eligible to vote next time though.

I know several people who've changed from Leave to Remain.  I also think that there are large numbers of young people who either couldn't or didn't vote last time who would vote Remain now.  I think the referendum taught them a lesson.  I think the surge in Labour support in June was partly due to the referendum showing them that voting can change things, and sometimes for the worse.  For some reason they thought Corbyn was for remain.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

10 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

oddly enough after the first referendum I was in the changing room at the gym and a group of 5 or 6 lads were talking about the result. 2 of them said they'd voted leave to stick it to Cameron and really regretted doing so. I think there were probably a few in their 20's that did that. Enough to swing it, I don't know but I'll bet there were more than a few.

My real question would be, if there was to be another referendum (and it would be the third not the second), how could a better quality of debate be ensured by both sides?

Hold a second referendum now and it's a close-run thing, hold it 5 years from now and it's a dead cert Remain win. That's why it's being discussed now.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

16 hours ago, gingerjon said:

What happens if the terms are rejected?

We remain in the EU, ideally. I doubt they'd make it that difficult to undo Article 50 and everything that's gone with it if the British public turned their noses up at the final outcome. I may be wrong on that, who knows, but the EU is a far more pragmatic organisation than it is ever given credit for in this country, IMO.

My view is that the government will be completely unable to achieve terms for leaving that the public would approve of, once they know what Brexit REALLY means, rather than the fantastical 'all things to all people' ###### we've been fed since the whole referendum farce was first dreamed up.

A rerun of the 2016 referendum would be pointless, as it would still be fought on the basis of no one knowing what Brexit actually means, and the result would likely be as narrow as last time, resolving precisely nothing.

The only reason busted flush Farage wants that is because it would make him appear relevant again.

14 hours ago, ckn said:

If the country voted to give everyone 20 punts to the private parts per day then we had another chance to overturn the idiocy, would you still vote for the 20 punts a day because we’d already paid for the punting boots and lined up the punting stations?  

I’d vote Remain again and still rail against Leave voters and the lies that came from the first referendum. 

Edit: I suppose needless masochism does come from supporting Bradford. ;) 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Insanity: accepting being punted in the private parts when there's a chance you could stop it.  For me, Brexit is the equivalent of the nation bending over and saying "punt me again, harder next time though".

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Archived