If a second EU referendum happened tomorrow...

If a second EU referendum happened tomorrow...  

58 members have voted

1. 1. If a second EU referendum happened tomorrow, would you...

• Vote the same way as last time?
    • Switch your vote?
    • Not vote?
    • Didn't vote last time but would if given the chance?

Just now, ckn said:

Insanity: accepting being punted in the private parts when there's a chance you could stop it.  For me, Brexit is the equivalent of the nation bending over and saying "punt me again, harder next time though".

We're not actually being offered a second referendum though, except in this thread, so it's just a discussion point.

My view is that a second referendum held on exactly the same terms as the first, would produce the same result because it would be fought on the basis of lies and fantasy, just like the last one.

However, I think if the public were asked to approve whatever Brexit deal the government manages, they would reject it, because the vote would be a choice between two stark realities, one far more appealing than the other.

I'm a remainer. Unquestionably so. So much so, in fact, that I've left the Labour Party because I don't want to be part of an organisation that is enabling rather than opposing Brexit.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

I can't think of a single person I know who's changed their mind, remain or leave since the last time round.

Same here, not one person I know has said they would change their minds.  In fact quite a few have become more entrenched in their remain/leave views since the referendum.

55 minutes ago, John Drake said:

We're not actually being offered a second referendum though, except in this thread, so it's just a discussion point.

My view is that a second referendum held on exactly the same terms as the first, would produce the same result because it would be fought on the basis of lies and fantasy, just like the last one.

However, I think if the public were asked to approve whatever Brexit deal the government manages, they would reject it, because the vote would be a choice between two stark realities, one far more appealing than the other.

I'm a remainer. Unquestionably so. So much so, in fact, that I've left the Labour Party because I don't want to be part of an organisation that is enabling rather than opposing Brexit.

Indeed.

There are a few possible reasons that Labour is staying quiet on this issue.  The generous one is that they can wait for the Government to produce a deal and then join with UKIP, Lib Dems and the bulk of the Conservative party in giving it a good kicking.

Once that deal is on the table (if that happens) is a far more sensible time for any reconsideration.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

10 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Most are entrenched.

There are a few I know didn't vote but would vote remain now.

Only one person I know voted out who would now vote remain.

I doesn't take much for some people to change votes.  My aunt, mid seventies, was going to vote remain, then saw  "... that ****** Geldof sticking two fingers up at fishermen ..."  so she changed her mind and voted leave. :imsohappy:  

16 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Indeed.

There are a few possible reasons that Labour is staying quiet on this issue.  The generous one is that they can wait for the Government to produce a deal and then join with UKIP, Lib Dems and the bulk of the Conservative party in giving it a good kicking.

Once that deal is on the table (if that happens) is a far more sensible time for any reconsideration.

Indeed! Its one of two things causing their silence at the moment.

1) They are as you say, waiting for a deal to be produced and then go down the "we gave you your chance and you've messed it up" narrative.

or

2) Corbyn still just doesn't like the EU and isn't really bothered about the damage it will do.

50 minutes ago, RidingPie said:

Indeed! Its one of two things causing their silence at the moment.

1) They are as you say, waiting for a deal to be produced and then go down the "we gave you your chance and you've messed it up" narrative.

or

2) Corbyn still just doesn't like the EU and isn't really bothered about the damage it will do.

It's 2, I'm afraid to say.

36 minutes ago, John Drake said:

It's 2, I'm afraid to say.

31 minutes ago, RidingPie said:

That is a shame. I suppose 1 would have indicated a coherent strategy.

I agree.

Hence my use of the word "generous" in the original post.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, RidingPie said:

That is a shame. I suppose 1 would have indicated a coherent strategy.

Er, this is UK politics in the second decade of the 21st century. Why on earth would you be expecting coherence? :P 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Jasper said:

I doesn't take much for some people to change votes.  My aunt, mid seventies, was going to vote remain, then saw  "... that ****** Geldof sticking two fingers up at fishermen ..."  so she changed her mind and voted leave. :imsohappy:  

Reminds me of an old dears house I photographed shortly after the vote, she didn't care either way about the EU so voted to give the money to the NHS.

25 minutes ago, bowes said:

Project Fear from the pro-Brexit Torygraph

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

29 minutes ago, bowes said:

That is the Telegraph.  They do not want second thoughts.

18 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

That is the Telegraph.  They do not want second thoughts.

A vile calumny! The Telegraph stands for the thoughts of David Barclay, but always adds second thoughts from his brother Frederick.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well we, my wife and,I voted to remain after a long period of discussion,but due to the conduct of the remainers  in the UK led by the likes of Tony Blair and various other celebrities followed by the conduct of some of the EU top dogs we would vote leave if we were to have another referendum forced on us.

The conduct of these people,many who have made a fortune out of the EU,plus some major media organisations,with their utter bias in favour of the EU ,have made us realise that the sooner we are out of this organisation the better.

None of my friends who voted to leave have changed their minds,several who voted remain would vote to leave,we all feel that the result should stand and people should accept the referendum result.

As someone has already commented when the likes of Bob Geldorf want to remain I think we should leave.

29 minutes ago, WSCR said:

Well we, my wife and,I voted to remain after a long period of discussion,but due to the conduct of the remainers  in the UK led by the likes of Tony Blair and various other celebrities followed by the conduct of some of the EU top dogs we would vote leave if we were to have another referendum forced on us.

The conduct of these people,many who have made a fortune out of the EU,plus some major media organisations,with their utter bias in favour of the EU ,have made us realise that the sooner we are out of this organisation the better.

None of my friends who voted to leave have changed their minds,several who voted remain would vote to leave,we all feel that the result should stand and people should accept the referendum result.

As someone has already commented when the likes of Bob Geldorf want to remain I think we should leave.

No offence intended, but this makes no sense whatsoever.

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

This species has amused itself to death

48 minutes ago, WSCR said:

The proven liar and EU profiteer Nigel Farage, the proven liar and EU profiteer Paul Nuttall, plus the overwhelming majority of the UK's national newspapers, who turned out be bare-faced liars as well? Utter bias? Yep.

Nice folks, if you're a coprophile.

And that's before get onto the people who paint promises on buses.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

40 minutes ago, Stan Doffarf said:

No offence intended, but this makes no sense whatsoever.

Quite.

I could understand various reasons to flip either way.  I might not agree but I can understand the reasoning.

However switching sides because of behaviour of remainers, when the leavers contain the likes of Farage, Banks, Russian bots, dark money, the DUP, etc, etc...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Anyhoo, the unscientific poll underlines the feeling that both sides are pretty much the same and any (unlikely) second referendum would be very close and not the convincing win Farage seemed to suggest.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Having seen the way the way the EU power brokers think about the UK, I would say any one who wants to stay in this cesspit of pension protectors is an idiot. I think vote leavers are now more entrenched than ever to leave. However, we now have snowflakes, with no experience of life and being protected by parents and being modey coddled by liberal educators, are now able to vote. That worries me and for their future welfare. 

Keeping on site, I think Barrow will survive in the championship this season.

Archived