Barrow

Dave Naylor

Just looked at the forecast for the weekend.  Doesn't look too bad although things might be a bit soggy on Sunday.  

I'm off up on the train since it's cheaper than the fuel cost in the car and I can sit back and enjoy the views.  Anyone else going up?

A final score 16-6 and plenty of compliments given to our team as already said. Full credit to both sides for such a big effort in such bad conditions - hot food and drinks must have been very welcome by all. Hope all who travelled have a safe journey home.

type in barrow news

go to barrow/the mail

go to sport

then barrow raiders 

scroll down till you come to barrow v Oldham highlights press on that 

then scroll down till you come to a black blank shape that's the video of the highlights

mostly about barrow. 

Everyone did well to be honest, nothing really to read into the game. Absolute dogfight in the mud, we were a bit unlucky to end up 16-6 down but credit to all the players and fans of both sides, it was actually a decent match considering. The pack were immense, think someone asked about M.o.M,hard  to pick anyone out,but imho Wilko was outstanding.

Interms of conditions it was probably the second worse I have every seen only South Wales a few seasons ago beat it. Be nice to see the trialists have another run on Sunday to see them in more favourable conditions hopefully.We look good at this stage though,showed some serious guts yesterday and tried to the end,no reports of injuries which is another blessing.Good of the players to pause before going off to applaud the travelling fans and Scott having a natter with us.It was appreciated by us all. Pity Mr Hamilton couldn't pause on his way down from the stand to say thanks or acknowledge the fans, even though he clearly saw the travelling band who were at the entrance to the tunnel.

Oh well my thanks go to Scott and the lads not that clown ,and to the Barrow fans for making us welcome and wishing us well.

On to Keighley now, hope CH realises that for this it should be £10 in,and get a decent crowd in to have a look at the revamped Vestacare and the team. Trust me the lads deserve the support, I fear if he overprices it then the crowd won't be what he is expecting!

See you all Sunday. Up the Yeds!!

After reading of the conditions up there and some players being hyperthermic the game should've been stopped. The health and well-being of the players should be paramount as Scott alluded to.The officials in charge should've realised this.I agree with 34 that if the prices for the Keighley game are too high considering its a friendly,people will stay away. Some clubs are charging a tenner for their friendlies.

Hi MR, at half time we supporters were calling for the game to stopped, lol. Most of my mates were suffering from hypercarling because it was warmer in the bar. Yep, it was a tenner for most and seven for an old fogie like me but remember, Oldham got half of that so a win all round.

Yes, the conditions were terrible, but hey, these guys don't play football. Did you watch the game 20 years ago? To Eddie Waring, that would of been a normal game ,lol. Your supporters were great by the way.

3 hours ago, TMF said:

Hi MR, at half time we supporters were calling for the game to stopped, lol. Most of my mates were suffering from hypercarling because it was warmer in the bar. Yep, it was a tenner for most and seven for an old fogie like me but remember, Oldham got half of that so a win all round.

Yes, the conditions were terrible, but hey, these guys don't play football. Did you watch the game 20 years ago? To Eddie Waring, that would of been a normal game ,lol. Your supporters were great by the way.

Heard a couple of Barrow players were treated for hyperthermia, totally unacceptable considering it was just a friendly. The result was irrelevant. Twenty years ago players carried a bit of excess baggage therefore more insulation against the elements compared with the players today.Even our coach Scott Naylor who was a fairly decent player himself has said that in the past.But that's just me,good luck for the season.

Yep, our new Aussies, lol. Welcome to sunny Barrow guys. Same to you mate.

Archived