2018 Capital Challenge - 19th Jan - Skolars v Wigan

IM2

Be great to see many of you come to the unique day in RL that is the Capital Challenge. RL in the heart of the City of London on probably the most expensive pitch in the World. 

Caveman brewery will attend and serve up great real ale.

6 schools tag festival in the morning.

Great sponsors including Society Generale, Irish Stock Exchange, IG Index, HANetf & Coinshares.

Around 300 people at corporate hospitality.

Joel Tomkins as guest of honour.

Tickets can be bought here https://www.eventbrite.com/e/capital-challenge-2018-london-skolars-vs-wigan-warriors-tickets-36721934294

On 16/01/2018 at 11:34 AM, IM2 said:

Be great to see many of you come to the unique day in RL that is the Capital Challenge. RL in the heart of the City of London on probably the most expensive pitch in the World. 

Caveman brewery will attend and serve up great real ale.

6 schools tag festival in the morning.

Great sponsors including Society Generale, Irish Stock Exchange, IG Index, HANetf & Coinshares.

Around 300 people at corporate hospitality.

Joel Tomkins as guest of honour.

Tickets can be bought here https://www.eventbrite.com/e/capital-challenge-2018-london-skolars-vs-wigan-warriors-tickets-36721934294

Quick question....am attending this and is it a 2 O'Clock KO? Also whats the policy regarding taking in bags? Just i have some medical supplies that I always have to take everywhere with me and prob a camera.

2 hours ago, Gray1967 said:

Quick question....am attending this and is it a 2 O'Clock KO? Also whats the policy regarding taking in bags? Just i have some medical supplies that I always have to take everywhere with me and prob a camera.

I attend this game on a regular basis and there is no problem with bags or cameras. It might be searched as it is a military establishment iof sorts but no worse than any other sporting vemnue.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

22 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

I attend this game on a regular basis and there is no problem with bags or cameras. It might be searched as it is a military establishment iof sorts but no worse than any other sporting vemnue.

Cheers mate.

Decent number of people supporting Wigan actually.  I assume that most were ex-pats: the fella that I was chatting to had cone up from Rochester.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

Majority of Wiganers at today's game played in freezing conditions, coming down either by Train or Car. Todays event had a "VIP area" roped off and stewarded. Is not League supposedly for the many not the few...:rtfm:

Mean against boys today and the boys dominated apart from a brief spell eithwer side of half time when Skolars actually strung something together. A moment of hilarity in the second half when a frustrated Skolars forward felt he was being held down too long and shouted "HOW LONG" which drew an Icy blast of the whistle and a penalty from the not so merry whistleblower to much amusement on the sidelines

Not sure that this game is much of an advert for Skolars or Rugby League. What I saw was a Wigan under 19 side comfortably beat a Skolars outfit with  a few players built for comfort rather than speed. Championship one seems a realy poor level of Rugby League and not something I would spend money watching frankly.

Some pics from the game  - The diving Wigan Try was called back as a forward pass BTW.

DSC_0462.JPG

DSC_0465.JPG

DSC_0467.JPG

DSC_0471.JPG

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

I thought it was a terrific way to spend an afternoon. These are great events, unlike anything else on the camera, and a great meeting of some of the southern clans in mid winter.

Some of the Wigan play was fantastic. Higginson and Woods (and Marshall of course) looked superb. Navarette seemed far better, and Davies looks like he could live comfortably at SL level. A more expansive style than we have seen for a while and all the better for it. All our players have great skills if they are allowed to show it. 

Compared to last year which was a really close game, disappointing from Skolars today. They looked to be missing a few senior players who have moved on/retired & seemed to be in need of a leader on the pitch to direct, motivate & inspire when the going got tough.

Did Wigan bring a significantly stronger team this year? 

2 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Majority of Wiganers at today's game played in freezing conditions, coming down either by Train or Car. Todays event had a "VIP area" roped off and stewarded. Is not League supposedly for the many not the few...:rtfm:

Mean against boys today and the boys dominated apart from a brief spell eithwer side of half time when Skolars actually strung something together. A moment of hilarity in the second half when a frustrated Skolars forward felt he was being held down too long and shouted "HOW LONG" which drew an Icy blast of the whistle and a penalty from the not so merry whistleblower to much amusement on the sidelines

Not sure that this game is much of an advert for Skolars or Rugby League. What I saw was a Wigan under 19 side comfortably beat a Skolars outfit with  a few players built for comfort rather than speed. Championship one seems a realy poor level of Rugby League and not something I would spend money watching frankly.

Some pics from the game  - The diving Wigan Try was called back as a forward pass BTW.

DSC_0462.JPG

DSC_0465.JPG

DSC_0467.JPG

DSC_0471.JPG

actually 7 players played first team last year and one was SL second highest try scorer so not sure what you say is wholly accurate

This year Wigan brought 13 first team squad members and  of those 7 have played in SL. Hardly an under19 side. 

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

Think the owner didn’t want a repeat of last year. Wigan brought a stronger squad for sure. They played well as a team. Good movement and understanding all round. Little evidence on the Skolars side of that

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

12 hours ago, BJW said:

This year Wigan brought 13 first team squad members and  of those 7 have played in SL. Hardly an under19 side. 

well said plus the squad was playing for 2 places on the plan to oz. so lots of incentive there

THE RED ROOSTER Wrote - 

Not sure that this game is much of an advert for Skolars or Rugby League. What I saw was a Wigan under 19 side comfortably beat a Skolars outfit with  a few players built for comfort rather than speed. Championship one seems a realy poor level of Rugby League and not something I would spend money watching frankly.

I'm surprised by the tone of your comments as your postings are,without doubt,some of the best on this forum.

I enjoy reading them.

I could take issue with most of the above - but from the one I have quoted - the League 1 season has another month to go and the preparation is aimed at the very long months ahead.They were in opposition to a side that learn to play in a full-time operation at a club which prides itself,quite rightly,on the best of youth development in the country.

Mr McNeil has done a remarkable job in not only setting up the fixture but to keep it going for the length of time that he has.

With the number of wealthy spectators invited to the fixture - and the requirement for safety of individuals,nowadays,I can fully understand the 'roped off and stewarded' area.( It is no different from the usual hospitality areas is it? Required by clubs wanting to generate an income stream.Some can and will pay for the little extras - some can't and don't.

I am sorry you didn't enjoy the experience - I hope your next posting is letting us know how you enjoyed a Broncos victory.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

My 2p... for what it’s worth. 

Can 100% see why areas were roped off. Loads sitting down for the dinner ( at x amount per head) typically find that by the time the meal is over & its time to watch the game the touchline is already full so get to see less of the game.  Yes, I think they got the initial size of this area wrong, but it did appear to have been reduced by halftime & seemed a better balance.

Victim of its own success & only way to remedy would be to have all 4 sides open. This would need the pitch shifting 10-15m nearer the middle, which is out side of their control & unlikely to happen.

game itself I found interesting too, last year Wigan struggled for parity but, when they did, they were dangerous. A year older for most of them & a few older heads saw a complete control of the tackle area & the bonuses that brings to a team. To be fair to them, the senior Skolars kept leading from the front & the newer players to this level have had a baptism of fire which will see them go two ways.

impressed with the young Skolars fullback who got severely put under pressure, his positioning though was 9/10 spot on. His only problem was,when he cleaned up any ball, he had 4 Pie Eaters on him like a rash!

caveman beer went down well. Bar Wetherspoons the cheapest pint to be had in a square mile I bet & pre match feed in the artillery arms was also spot on, seemed to be more match goers in there than last year.

will 100% be buying 2019 Tickets, only thing we both remarked on is the weather was kind again. I do wonder how softies would cope if saturdays rain fell on the Friday! :-)

Archived