RL on Canadian TV

manu266

Super League: confirmed on Sportsnet World line-up, starting with the opener live on February 1.

NRL: watchnrl.com (full access + Queensland Cup, State of Origin, Kangaroos, Fox League…), and according to a Sportsnet email I received also on SNW, similar to last year.

TWP: all regular season games (except maybe Summer Bash and Magic Weekend) on GameTV, according to the same SN email.

Uncertainty: TWP Magic Weekend, Summer Bash and Post Season, number of NRL games on SNW, NZ Tour of England and other Internationals

Now decision time about this year subscriptions. Sportsnet World would cost me $18 a month + tax, $126 (145 with tax, I think it’s a bit more with Rogers, Bell…) for the full season. 

WatchNRL probably close to $200 (probably no tax) for a full season pass.

I don’t think I’m ready to pay $345 for the full package. So what are you going to do on your side?

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, ojx said:

That's good news, but GameTV seems to be in only standard definition. Hopefully CBC will get the stream again.

I remember the Summer Bash being on SportsNet last year.

The ideal future scenario for me would be CBC gets the rights for Toronto and Hamilton for national broadcasts.  The time of the games would work and make it unique on the main channel and they would get pretty good ratings reviews after just a few games....I know CBC has really cut back their sports budget though, but it would give us the exposure we need/crave.  This whole TV contract thing  has to be properly sorted out within two to three years max./still lots of time but the clock is ticking.

6 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

The ideal future scenario for me would be CBC gets the rights for Toronto and Hamilton for national broadcasts.  The time of the games would work and make it unique on the main channel and they would get pretty good ratings reviews after just a few games....I know CBC has really cut back their sports budget though, but it would give us the exposure we need/crave.  This whole TV contract thing  has to be properly sorted out within two to three years max./still lots of time but the clock is ticking.

I doubt CBC would invest too much if there is only regional interest. SportsNet might be the best hope.

3 hours ago, ojx said:

That's good news, but GameTV seems to be in only standard definition. Hopefully CBC will get the stream again.

I remember the Summer Bash being on SportsNet last year.

It depends on your cable company. On Rogers, GameTV is in standard definition, but on Bell Fibe it's HD. This was part of why I switched to  Bell last summer!

YMMV (Your Media May Vary).

I was about to post the painful SD picture that I have through my provider (vmedia), but nice surprise, gametv is in HD now!

7 hours ago, Kayakman said:

How dare you say that?! Away games are right in the middle of Coronation Street omnibus. Don't you move my Corrie weekly fix...

More seriously if TWP make their way to CBC Tv, they will probably have to pay more than get money out of it. They will not like that on the other side of the pond...

19 hours ago, manu266 said:

I was about to post the painful SD picture that I have through my provider (vmedia), but nice surprise, gametv is in HD now!

How dare you say that?! Away games are right in the middle of Coronation Street omnibus. Don't you move my Corrie weekly fix...

More seriously if TWP make their way to CBC Tv, they will probably have to pay more than get money out of it. They will not like that on the other side of the pond...

Is Albert Tatlock still in Corrie over there?

rldfsignature.jpg

image.thumb.png.4a3050746f452a3ff46d606df6ff4df2.png

3 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

ok so just confirming that it's the same as last year but we will get the playoffs as well in Canada!

https://www.torontowolfpack.com/2018/01/18/toronto-wolfpack-confirm-broadcast-partners/

Very good news for the playoff coverage. Seems like Magic Weekend and Summer Bash won't be an issue in Canada either. We'll let Premier and Sky battle over it in the UK.

1 hour ago, Copa said:

still waiting for news about an Australian broadcast deal... I’d like to watch a game or two.

Was TWP games on Australian TV last year? Fox League?

I remember Eleven Sports showing TWP in the USA, eir Sport in the Republic. So far nothing on their listings for 2018.

32 minutes ago, manu266 said:

Was TWP games on Australian TV last year? Fox League?

I remember Eleven Sports showing TWP in the USA, eir Sport in the Republic. So far nothing on their listings for 2018.

We’ve never had TWP games.

24 minutes ago, Copa said:

We’ve never had TWP games.

Oh! I'm glad I didn't have to travel to Australia in 2017. Well I found this on Foxtel TV Guide:

image.png.2bd4465430d1d8bd177fe45fd03e0288.png

That's for this Monday, don't know if it means that live games will follow in February, but there is hope.

Also I'm pretty sure games will be on youtube 24-48h after live broadcast, like last year.

For live broadcast outside the covered markets, a Canadian VPN to watch on CBC seems the only way.

Archived