RL on Canadian TV

manu266

It doesn't help that Sportsnet puts many of their SL and NRL matches on their extra SNW channels where the PVR listings are frequently generic 4-6 hour blocks of programming labeled "Sportsnet World". Even if you find the game through the search function and record it, the recording will revert to the generic block which might not include the entire game. Found that out the hard way with a couple of overnight NRL games.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So... so far the game is confirmed on SNWL only live and replay on Sunday. Since I'll be at Lamport Saturday, I'm not gonna subscribe yet, but I probably will for round 3 in 2 weeks, unless SN1 shows the games as well.

Also confirmed:

UK and ROI on Sky Action

USA on Fox Soccer Plus

Australia on Fox League

NZ on Sky Sports 2

Not confirmed in France

15 minutes ago, manu266 said:

So... so far the game is confirmed on SNWL only live and replay on Sunday. Since I'll be at Lamport Saturday, I'm not gonna subscribe yet, but I probably will for round 3 in 2 weeks, unless SN1 shows the games as well.

Also confirmed:

UK and ROI on Sky Action

USA on Fox Soccer Plus

Australia on Fox League

NZ on Sky Sports 2

Not confirmed in France

The Salford vs Widnes game should be on SNWL on Saturday morning.

21 minutes ago, manu266 said:

Also confirmed:

UK and ROI on Sky Action

USA on Fox Soccer Plus

Australia on Fox League

NZ on Sky Sports 2

Not confirmed in France

yeah that's ######. i ain't paying for SNW on top of the existing overpriced cable package. i'll hopefully get to watch it on Wolfpack TV when i get home from camping. They need to get it sorted out for next year if we're in SL because SNW is not the channel if you want to grow your presence.

I hope all SL TV contracts, but particularly SN's one, end this year and that next season they launch something similar to watchNRL, and include the Cup.

Don't count too much on Wolfpack TV, their service was awfull, I hope they find another provider for next season.

If still in Championship, I hope they still have the money to show games on Game TV, Premier, CBC. If in SL, we are stuck with SN and Sky... I would be happy with streaming only on an good alternative media, just came back from NYC, most soccer/rugby sports bar are just streaming stuff, not using cable/sat package, more content, easier, probably cheaper too. Canadian bars should update their equipment soon. 3 Brasseurs, get ready! (Do they even have SNWL?)

If they make SL next year, I would say Wolfpack games should generate enough advertising revenue for Rogers to show games on at least SN1.  Because that's what it's all about for them, advertising revenue and SNWL is premium so it has no advertising.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I really can't see enough people here in Canada that will sit and watch non Wolfpack RL games regularly to justify putting them on basic SN.  Those games will for more than likely stay on SNWL because low viewership sports stay on premium sports channels.

If every televised SL, Cup and the World Club Challenge games were shown on SNWL it may be worth paying extra for.  I'm trying to learn the game but I live in a city that doesn't even have a place that sells rugby balls and is nowhere near Toronto, so paying extra to watch more RL makes sense to me.  Most people, the ones the Wolfpack need to find, will only think of SNWL as that expensive soccer channel and never order it.

I don't know what the solution is, but higher Wolfpack viewership is the start.  It may be a while until we get regular RL games on basic cable.

10 hours ago, timmysauce said:

If they make SL next year, I would say Wolfpack games should generate enough advertising revenue for Rogers to show games on at least SN1.  Because that's what it's all about for them, advertising revenue and SNWL is premium so it has no advertising.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I really can't see enough people here in Canada that will sit and watch non Wolfpack RL games regularly to justify putting them on basic SN.  Those games will for more than likely stay on SNWL because low viewership sports stay on premium sports channels.

If every televised SL, Cup and the World Club Challenge games were shown on SNWL it may be worth paying extra for.  I'm trying to learn the game but I live in a city that doesn't even have a place that sells rugby balls and is nowhere near Toronto, so paying extra to watch more RL makes sense to me.  Most people, the ones the Wolfpack need to find, will only think of SNWL as that expensive soccer channel and never order it.

I don't know what the solution is, but higher Wolfpack viewership is the start.  It may be a while until we get regular RL games on basic cable.

TSN puts more and more RU on its channels. You can now follow Super Rugby, The SH Championship (starts this weekend I think) and International Tests on their platform. They also have the World Cup I think. Then you have TV5 that shows every France game and Top 14. The 6 Nations just moved from Pay per View to DAZN.

It would be logical with a team based in Toronto to get more SL games on basic sports rather than premium.
I think these should be the guidelines in an ideal world:

1.    A SL highlight shows on SN or SN1, either the BBC one or a come back of the Eric Perez show but not on SNWL.
2.    TWP in SL could mean not all games live in Canada, but a minimum of 60% should be realistic and 6/7 postseason like right now.
3.    Thursday and Friday games could stay on SNWL, even TWP games, but an evening replay on SN would be nice, weekend games on SN or SN1 or SN360 or City TV.
4.    All Wolfpack games live on radio, FM and/or streaming, with a Wolfpack crew commenting.
5.    All Wolfpack games on demand on a rebooted and improved Wolfpack TV for $8 per month.
6.    Wolfpack in 30 for free, they promised us that in January 2017, we are still waiting.
7.    A 22 min midweek show.

This would be a great way to really promote the sport. If TWP is in SL, we need to be able to follow other teams too, their matches are filmed, we need more access to it. I’m a bit old school on this but a highlight show is essential.

6 minutes ago, manu266 said:

Can you see the video from Canada?

actually no. i had no issues before but now i get the following message. i think SKY is the likely cause here, might have been part of the agreement to have our games shown live on Game TV?

image.png.49d36afe18f12a3ec775c80bfee296d1.png

On 8/15/2018 at 12:21 PM, John WP Fan said:

That just leaves the final game at Leeds, which we hope won't matter much to either team (I would hate to need that win). But I still wanna watch it.

By next 3, they are referring to the next three games starting this Saturday. None of the final 3 rounds of coverage have been announced yet.

31 minutes ago, Lamport Life said:

By next 3, they are referring to the next three games starting this Saturday. None of the final 3 rounds of coverage have been announced yet.

No, but we can assume they will film all home games, so Toulouse and Widnes are 99% secured. And I don't see Sky missing the Leeds game, even if both teams are qualified, it is still a reigning champions (Super League v Championship) duel.

Archived