What happened to Carlisle RL club?

Alan,was it you who was on either the 1988 or 1992 tour to Australia. There was two guys on those tours who was on the committee at Carlisle.It was really interesting listening to their tales of the hard work they had to put in to get players up to Carlisle and the work they were doing to keep the game going up there.They were true Rugby League men,much like the volunteers at Batley.What would the game be like below S.L if it was not for people like that.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were all the salt of the earth, by the way, but I don't think any of the committee or board of Carlisle accompanied either of those tours. I think maybe a couple of former players or members of the committee may have made the journey but not as members of the Carlisle club.Was one of them former player John Risman?

By the way, as you mention Batley, I've just read Tony Hannan's book about Batley RLFC, "Under Dogs", to me it sums up what keeps rugby league alive outside of Superleague. A cracking good read

alantucker.gif

No,not John Risman Alan.I have photographs from those tours I will dig them out and see if I can remember their names.The book " Underdogs" really did show what the volunteers of Batley.I happen to have a couple of old friends who have been volunteers there for more years than I care to mention.The lady called Gwen was a relation of the Etty brothers who played ther amongst other clubs.I believe one of them still attends the "Monday club" they have there for older players and supporters.I like the way John Kear addressed the players,he comes across to everybody as a nice quiet chap which he indeed is but he certainly lets the players know in no uncertain terms what he expects from them.Any player at Bradford that thinks he is there for an easy ride will soon find out they are not.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
On 1/23/2018 at 1:37 AM, Snowys Backside said:

In regards to the 90's, Okesene, Graham and with Manhiera (I had a few beers with him when he was injured for Barrow in the 90's.). An absolute Alcoholic, but great player. Reminded me of Paul Mansson.

Correct Tane was a great player, alcoholics drink most days, Tane rarely drinks!

A Scotsman who has been missed is Stewart Magorian, played centre/wing.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:12 AM, Guest said:

The problem for the border raiders was there was nothing underneath in terms of amateur RL unlike the strong amateur game at the time in west Cumbria and barrow area.

CARLISLE & DISTRICT LEAGUE  FINAL TABLE.

Played

Won

Drawn

Lost

For

Against

Difference

Wigton (Carlisle)

Crown Inn (Carlisle)

Horse & Farrier (Carlisle)

St. Nicholas Arms (Carlisle)

Carlisle Rugby League Supporters Club

Dalston ‘A’ (Carlisle)

Penrith (Cumbria)

A Carlisle amateur RL was formed after the new semi-pro Carlisle club created interest in the town and it lasted until the 1988-89 season. This is the 1986-87 season table.

5 hours ago, Celtic Rooster said:

CARLISLE & DISTRICT LEAGUE  FINAL TABLE.

Played

Won

Drawn

Lost

For

Against

Difference

Wigton (Carlisle)

Crown Inn (Carlisle)

Horse & Farrier (Carlisle)

St. Nicholas Arms (Carlisle)

Carlisle Rugby League Supporters Club

Dalston ‘A’ (Carlisle)

Penrith (Cumbria)

A Carlisle amateur RL was formed after the new semi-pro Carlisle club created interest in the town and it lasted until the 1988-89 season. This is the 1986-87 season table.

it is worth noting that these exams (at the absolute bottom of the pyramid) still played 18  games.

there are 'top' amateur teams waders who play less fixtures than that.

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

8 hours ago, The Daddy said:

So what's the likelihood of a Carlisle team reforming?  

I'm not aware of any interest in re4viving a semi-pro team in the City and I don't think there is even an amateur side now. St. Nicholas Arms lasted a long time and was the main point of RL interest in the city. Aspatria Hornets are probably nearest now. The original Carlisle team had a successful first season and that always helps. Unfortunately the amateur scene faded as the semi-pro club faded. I went to Carlisle that first season to watch  Salford and I have 79 Carlisle programmes from 1981-82 to 1995-96 and I also have a Carlisle Centurians ARL programme from 2003 .v. Bolton Le Moors.

5 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Is this some form of Celtic language that very few can speak?

FFS.... Predictive text and a broken screen. My apologies - I actually had made an edit to correct a couple of typos already!

So many happy memories of that club!

The Widnes game was my first ever game (aged seven or eight) there seemed to be teams playing out of every pub at one point.

As I lived in Harraby, the move to Gilford Park was very welcomed in our house as it was only a ten minute walk, the way the ground developed, especially the impressive stand that went up behind the posts was a testament to the board and club.

Rugby League was in most of the primary schools, delivered by Garry Schubert who was a hero to me and lots of other lads who 'became' Rugby League players. My school, Inglewood were generally pretty successful in that competition. When I became an RL Development Officer at Hemel it was all down to Carlisle

I remember the Regal Trophy game against Cas, the next round against Hunslet (I think) and then a trip to Headingley for the Quarter Final.

Loved everything about the club, the original fox badge with the RL of CaRLisle highlighted, the Border Raider and that crazy shirt with the red and white striped sides.

The free tickets we got from our schools, the learning of all these crazy town names we played against, finally working out that Bramley and Batley were different and not just a spelling error, realising after many years the 'gh' in Keighley were not silent like in Leigh.

The players were all members of the Crest Hotel leisure club and my mam worked there so I used to hassle them all the time for training tips when I was 10.

Playing for the Carlisle U9s and 11s and training sessions where Hitro would turn up to watch and help, being a ball boy, putting the numbers up on the score board, getting the maths wrong and being shouted at by the Ultras on the covered terrace, whilst throwing a ball around on the pitch at half time.

The ground was basic but it was my teams ground.

Loved playing there in the latter guise of the Centurions and was fortunate enough to score a few trys, kick a few goals and be the Tannoy announcer at a game!

Thank you Carlisle RL - you got me into this sport and I have had an absolute ball!

Callum

52 minutes ago, Budgie said:

So many happy memories of that club!

The Widnes game was my first ever game (aged seven or eight) there seemed to be teams playing out of every pub at one point.

As I lived in Harraby, the move to Gilford Park was very welcomed in our house as it was only a ten minute walk, the way the ground developed, especially the impressive stand that went up behind the posts was a testament to the board and club.

Rugby League was in most of the primary schools, delivered by Garry Schubert who was a hero to me and lots of other lads who 'became' Rugby League players. My school, Inglewood were generally pretty successful in that competition. When I became an RL Development Officer at Hemel it was all down to Carlisle

I remember the Regal Trophy game against Cas, the next round against Hunslet (I think) and then a trip to Headingley for the Quarter Final.

Loved everything about the club, the original fox badge with the RL of CaRLisle highlighted, the Border Raider and that crazy shirt with the red and white striped sides.

The free tickets we got from our schools, the learning of all these crazy town names we played against, finally working out that Bramley and Batley were different and not just a spelling error, realising after many years the 'gh' in Keighley were not silent like in Leigh.

The players were all members of the Crest Hotel leisure club and my mam worked there so I used to hassle them all the time for training tips when I was 10.

Playing for the Carlisle U9s and 11s and training sessions where Hitro would turn up to watch and help, being a ball boy, putting the numbers up on the score board, getting the maths wrong and being shouted at by the Ultras on the covered terrace, whilst throwing a ball around on the pitch at half time.

The ground was basic but it was my teams ground.

Loved playing there in the latter guise of the Centurions and was fortunate enough to score a few trys, kick a few goals and be the Tannoy announcer at a game!

Thank you Carlisle RL - you got me into this sport and I have had an absolute ball!

Callum

What a fantastic post ?

6 minutes ago, Celtic Rooster said:

The record goal scorer in a season at Blackpool, just before they wound up, was a Carlisle lad - Jake Johnstone. Went to University in Salford or Manchester and played for years at Eccles ARLFC.

He played at Carlisle Academy for a bit, also played down at the Skolars I believe. Trinity School lad, I think

I paid for my Parents and my brother to have a day out to Brunton Park, and watch Swinton win at Carlisle, because we had been having a hard time with my Mothers Mum being in hospital for the last month or so with deteriorating dementia on the way back down the M6 I saw something in the clouds at about quarter past six. I said to the driver could we pull over at the next service, we need to make an urgent phone call. This was long before even London Yuppies had mobile phones of course. We called the Ward at Ladywell Hospital, and was told my Gran had passed away at 1815.

It was spooky but my Mam then said she'd seen something too.

9 hours ago, Budgie said:

He played at Carlisle Academy for a bit, also played down at the Skolars I believe. Trinity School lad, I think 

Yes Jake did play at Skolars and at Swinton for a while as well. Great lad and great parents as well. He loved playing for Eccles against the Barrow teams because he said they were not real Cumbrians!

2 minutes ago, Celt said:

A few Scots played for them too if I remember right.  George Graham, Peter (?) Manning, 1 or 2 others as well perhaps.  This was close to the end of their existence I seem to recall.

Surreal.  I have just scrolled back through the thread and found I posted almost the same post (nearly word for word) on 23 January.  I got Manning's first name wrong in both posts too.  Very, very odd!!

The rugby league should really be trying something to reconnect with the carlisle area,watched a few games at gilford park, seems ironic now that their home support of around 700 at the time is more than what town and haven get now. Would like Town to try to set up some link  in Carlisle or maybe Newcastle Thunder.

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:52 AM, Celtic Rooster said:

Yes Jake did play at Skolars and at Swinton for a while as well. Great lad and great parents as well. He loved playing for Eccles against the Barrow teams because he said they were not real Cumbrians!

And he was correct ?

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Archived