Success in North America

1 minute ago, winnyason said:

There some niggle there. 1970s grand finals and as rabbit rhino noted we pinched alot of there best.

Thats a good spot for state of origin or test match Las vegas 

I can’t believe you said that about Vegas.  I’ve said the same thing.  You know what my idea would be?  Winners of SL vs NRL in Vegas.  Rugby League World Champs.  It will still be warm and booze is 24/7 and it can be drunken cheaply.   All night party.  

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, The Manc Yank said:

I can’t believe you said that about Vegas.  I’ve said the same thing.  You know what my idea would be?  Winners of SL vs NRL in Vegas.  Rugby League World Champs.  It will still be warm and booze is 24/7 and it can be drunken cheaply.   All night party.  

Yeah from an nfl perspective i be a little concerned about the raiders players ongoings there. 

So I believe wood back from New York, this on top of Hamilton, Boston. Also we have red star belgrade and even Avignon wanting to join rfl.

john Paul basile ex nba exec involved in Moore sport has said he wants USA pro league by 2020. Now we have already Toronto, New York, Hamilton, Boston now in reality it’s only 2 franchise off there own pro league. I say Jacksonville and philly is very possible. 

I really believe long term North America needs there own semi pro or lower tier pro league. 

3 hours ago, winnyason said:

I really believe long term North America needs there own semi pro or lower tier pro league. 

Why?  Is that going to be a big thing in the 1970's?

Is it something for which sponsors and media will be keen to throw money at?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Why?  Is that going to be a big thing in the 1970's?

Is it something for which sponsors and media will be keen to throw money at?

Not sure the underlining hostility and vibe i am getting is its possible rfl clibs wont vote in favour of new york, boston and Hamilton. 

The carry on from the doctor towards rowley and then beaumont about premier sports. I really feel uk clubs at lower tier ( championship and league 1) dont want them here. 

The one thing people need to remember and not lose sight of is that these people talking about running franchises and leagues in North America are not fans of the game like you and I but businessmen and at the end of the day these businessmen will want to see a return otherwise they wouldn’t be businessmen. Or not very good businessmen.

40 minutes ago, winnyason said:

Not sure the underlining hostility and vibe i am getting is its possible rfl clibs wont vote in favour of new york, boston and Hamilton. 

The carry on from the doctor towards rowley and then beaumont about premier sports. I really feel uk clubs at lower tier ( championship and league 1) dont want them here. 

It is not hostility.  It is bewilderment.

The 1970's were a time when local entertainment had a better chance, but "let's see semi-pro's play an alien sport" is not going to get people excited or generate commercial interest.  Soccer is the only sport in the UK that has a properous second flight.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

And that is no bad thing. Rugby League is full of middle-aged local salesmen done ok looking for something to do as they get older. There is a distinct lack of people involved because they see potential and room for growth and want to push the game forward. Too many fans and hobbyists and too few professionals.

All sports are full of middle aged local salesmen done OK looking for something to do as they get older , its just in other sports they are richer

Are Man Citys owners going to get a return on their investement ? , why did they pick Man City ?

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Yes they are looking to get a return. Premier League clubs can't be run as a hobby anymore, its doesnt work. Thats why City Football group is run by Ferran Soriano, a career professional.

Yes.

It would be stupid if the RFL were to turn down an offer of help or a set-up like that running a club in the UK. 

We will have to accept that will not happen.

3 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Yes.

It would be stupid if the RFL were to turn down an offer of help or a set-up like that running a club in the UK.

We will have to accept that will not happen.

Man City are a rich oil Sheiks family hobby , nothing more , similar to most proffessional sports clubs , just on a much higher level , they will never break even

4 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

All sports are full of middle aged local salesmen done OK looking for something to do as they get older , its just in other sports they are richer

Are Man Citys owners going to get a return on their investement ? , why did they pick Man City ?

If 5 or 10 years down the line they sell the club for a much higher price than they paid, that would be a big return for them.  As long as the value of Premier League clubs keeps rising, they only have to break even until they sell to make a handsome return.

44 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

If 5 or 10 years down the line they sell the club for a much higher price than they paid, that would be a big return for them.  As long as the value of Premier League clubs keeps rising, they only have to break even until they sell to make a handsome return.

Except that wont happen , their primary portfolio of sponsors are all essentially connected to the owners family , all to get round FIFA s fair play rules , you know it I know it and so does Scotchy

Not going to discuss this further  

12 hours ago, The Manc Yank said:

The new Raiders NFL stadium in Vegas will be a great spot for RL. Loads of cheap flights and accommodations for fans from Aus & England plus a pretty big Polynesian community locally. Lots of people from Hawaii move there as houses are about 1/3 the price for comparable space.

3 hours ago, ojx said:

Interesting article about the challenges facing the NY bid from a local in the city:

http://www.rugbyleaguehub.com/2017/10/25/opinion-a-new-yorker-assesses-rugby-leagues-chances-in-the-big-apple/

I agree that a suburban stadium would be a disaster. It has to be in the city of NY. Red Bull Arena would be a nightmare.

Thanks for the share! Great article.  I used to work for the LA Galaxy for 4 years and I’m and avid MLS fan.  My biggest fear was the League putting a team at Red Bull arena.  That would be horrible.  He’s exactly right.  I need to write one now on why it will succeed in the US at least.  

2 hours ago, The Manc Yank said:

Thanks for the share! Great article.  I used to work for the LA Galaxy for 4 years and I’m and avid MLS fan.  My biggest fear was the League putting a team at Red Bull arena.  That would be horrible.  He’s exactly right.  I need to write one now on why it will succeed in the US at least.  

But what stadiums are available in New York itself? 

The Coney Island stadium would be the Brooklyn Cyclones minor league baseball one I think. Good choice. The Brooklyn Bolts minor league football team also played there a couple of years ago and it looked decent for a rectangular field.

I actually thought it would have been a good venue for USA vs Russia or Georgia in RU since nearby Brighton Beach has a big ex Soviet population.

14 minutes ago, The Manc Yank said:

The article mentioned a stadium near Coney Island.  I have no idea where they would play.  That’s the million dollar question.  Red Bull Arena is too big and too far away from the city.  

Wiki says its a 25k stadium which isnt really that big.Wigan,Hull & Huddersfield manage ok in same size stadiums

10 hours ago, westside said:

The Coney Island stadium would be the Brooklyn Cyclones minor league baseball one I think. Good choice. The Brooklyn Bolts minor league football team also played there a couple of years ago and it looked decent for a rectangular field.

I actually thought it would have been a good venue for USA vs Russia or Georgia in RU since nearby Brighton Beach has a big ex Soviet population.

The problem is the stadium wasnt built for anything other than baseball. The sight lines will be horrendous, especially since it appears they dont have outfield seating. Just look up pictures of NYCFC playing at Yankee Stadium, whole sections of seats angled away from the field of play.

In the end, any successful RL team in New York is eventually going to have to play in New Jersey or Nassau County if it wants a world class stadium. There just isn't any really large space in the actual city that wont come without an outrageous price tag for the land.

Archived