Success in North America

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

I suppose theyll adapt the marketing in a similar way Green Bay do , ie the Saints verses ' Philli ' and the Pies ;) verses New York 

Except that (1) everyone knows Green Bay due to them being in the NFL from its second season and (2) it's the lone NFL survivor from the many smaller-city teams which were in that league back then, so you're comparing apples and oranges there.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

When will you guys over the water accept that London are hopeless, they will never reach the heights you think they are capable of in RL, they have been in existance nearly 40 years, play out of a community park, and have a loyal following of less than 1000, the game is not wanted by Londoners, they in the main are totally engrossed in other sports, and even though RL is played when the other major sports are not, they still cannot gain supporters, you had better get used to names like Wigan, Warrington, St Helens, Hull etc, they are here to stay, on the other hand North American entities are yet to be born.

London are only hopeless because they're in a league full of teams from small-time northern towns which Londoners don't rate as possible rivals.  I suggest that a brand new London team with all new branding, playing the likes of (for example) New York, Philadelphia, Manchester, Converty, Toulouse, Barcelona etc. every week and thereby delivering the rugby football equivalent of the Champions League, UEFA League and Copa Libertadores week in and week out would have far superior appeal.

7 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

London are only hopeless because they're in a league full of teams from small-time northern towns which Londoners don't rate as possible rivals.  I suggest that a brand new London team with all new branding, playing the likes of (for example) New York, Philadelphia, Manchester, Converty, Toulouse, Barcelona etc. every week and thereby delivering the rugby football equivalent of the Champions League, UEFA League and Copa Libertadores week in and week out would have far superior appeal.

Absolutely without doubt.

Can you imagine a London club playing in a league like that,being owned/sponsored by BT or SKY TV.The potential is limitless for the club and the sport.

16 hours ago, winnyason said:

Well manly I a diehard there my friend. From BOZO to Cliff Lyons to Menzies to Brett Stewart the club simply wins. Best ground when full in nrl is brookie 

Yeah mate.  The time difference is perfect.  I’m in the LA area.  I watched all the Sea Eagles games this year.  I get to watch the games in the evening a day behind yet live.  You’ll see me sporting my Manly jersey everywhere. 

10 hours ago, Big Picture said:

A serious question for you: How/why do you expect Bostonians and Philadelphians used to seeing teams from other big cities like Chicago and Los Angeles come to town regularly in other sports to care about matches against the likes of Wigan and St Helens which they've never even heard of before as compared with the likes of London which they have?

That’s a very good question! I live in LA and unfortunately I won’t be near it.  If you would have showed me what I typed 3 years ago I would’ve looked at you strangely.  I got into League about 2 years ago. It’s my favorite sport. During the RLWC I was watching about 6-7 games a week.  This summer was League heaven.  People in the US cities will then understand the history.   It gets real interesting when the ?? & ?? get it going as well.  So proud of my TO Wolfpack.  

2 hours ago, The Manc Yank said:

Yeah mate.  The time difference is perfect.  I’m in the LA area.  I watched all the Sea Eagles games this year.  I get to watch the games in the evening a day behind yet live.  You’ll see me sporting my Manly jersey everywhere. 

Where a shot this season. The signing of joel thompson will strengthen right edge in defence. He a bloke who should have played origin. Dylan walker out for first 4 games that may hurt. 

Manly a nfl version of the pittsburgh steelers there about every season. 

American expansion exciting i know david niu from amnrl talked it up for a long time. But seems its in terms of getting funding and a pathway through rfl. The world cup in us and possible top level games on us shores. 

9 hours ago, Copa said:

It’s Australian slang for a US citizen. Yank -> Septic Tank -> Seppo.

It was used by all the surfers where I grew up.

Must have grown up in Victoria because I've never meet anyone in NSW who uses rhyming slang but plenty down south of the border.

44 minutes ago, winnyason said:

Where a shot this season. The signing of joel thompson will strengthen right edge in defence. He a bloke who should have played origin. Dylan walker out for first 4 games that may hurt. 

American expansion exciting i know david niu from amnrl talked it up for a long time. But seems its in terms of getting funding and a pathway through rfl. The world cup in us and possible top level games on us shores. 

God it hurts when I hear people mention Dylan Walker :sad:

14 minutes ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

Must have grown up in Victoria because I've never meet anyone in NSW who uses rhyming slang but plenty down south of the border.

I was born and raised in NSW. Seppo was quite common as a slang term for a US citizen.

16 minutes ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

God it hurts when I hear people mention Dylan Walker :sad:

Yes i have no doubt mate. Us manly fans feel the same about gutherson

We released hiku and king gutho for dylan. The salary cap breeds a yo yo system where one club players are very hard to find. 

Since 2013 gf we got one player left in dce crazy. I miss days of canberra and brisbane of 90s magic sides. 

2 minutes ago, winnyason said:

We released hiku and king gutho for dylan. The salary cap breeds a yo yo system where one club players are very hard to find. 

Since 2013 gf we got one player left in dce crazy. I miss days of canberra and brisbane of 90s magic sides. 

I was only just starting to get over Manly pinching Ian Roberts and to a lesser extent Mark Carroll then like a bad dream Dylan Walker heads to brookvale! It'll take me another 20 odd years to get over it again.

My god Souths have lost some talent to Manly and Easts in my life time.

18 minutes ago, Copa said:

I was born and raised in NSW. Seppo was quite common as a slang term for a US citizen.

Fair enough I've never really came across any Rhyming slang other than in Victoria is all.

11 minutes ago, winnyason said:

I agree with you about the salary cap, It's a crazy situation where you win a comp then are doomed for years of failure (unless your easts/Brisbane/storm), I'd like to see the cap removed personally it would sort out the men from the boys .

9 minutes ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

I was only just starting to get over Manly pinching Ian Roberts and to a lesser extent Mark Carroll then like a bad dream Dylan Walker heads to brookvale! It'll take me another 20 odd years to get over it again.

My god Souths have lost some talent to Manly and Easts in my life time.

Terry hill a good one too lol. Dylan incident with aaron grey hurt souths alot. We getting are own  back a little foran never wanted to see go. 

4 minutes ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

I agree with you about the salary cap, It's a crazy situation where you win a comp then are doomed for years of failure (unless your easts/Brisbane/storm), I'd like to see the cap removed personally it would sort out the men from the boys .

Those clubs dont have a rebuild as there legally rorting cap unlimited 3rd party deals. 

2 hours ago, winnyason said:

Yep. The Walker & Uate pairing has been brilliant.  My fav player is Jorge Tafua.  

Its the constant action with league and the teams payrolls that excite expansionism.  It’s not overly expansive. It would be big in opinion.  

7 minutes ago, The Manc Yank said:

Yep. The Walker & Uate pairing has been brilliant.  My fav player is Jorge Tafua.  

Its the constant action with league and the teams payrolls that excite expansionism.  It’s not overly expansive. It would be big in opinion.  

Walker, uate and tommy turbo superb players 

5 minutes ago, The Manc Yank said:

This is me in Las Vegas a few months back.  I was wearing my Manly Jersey all over the strip.  This Aussie guy sees me and yells out “Rabbitohs”. LOL. NRL banter around the world.  

14E4CC65-8687-4AA5-8BB1-241CED73F776.jpeg

There some niggle there. 1970s grand finals and as rabbit rhino noted we pinched alot of there best.

Thats a good spot for state of origin or test match Las vegas 

Archived