The SL launch video

Now, I think the idea was good.  RL players are real athletes, comparable to Olympic gold medalists.  Speed, strength, endurance, etc.  However Its a bit ploddy and lacks punch/edge.

Idea good, execution not so good?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I think it's OK but nothing more. 

Don't get me wrong I understand why this sort of thing is important but unless the thing is genuinely terrible (which it never is) I don't understand why it attracts so much comment and criticism.

The rugby union 6N promotional videos are routinely horrendous yet it doesn't seem to affect the numbers turning up or their enjoyment.

You could argue the best advert for the new season was the world cup at the end of last year with much of it available to the full country at decent times.

20 minutes ago, Bramstein said:

Don't get me wrong I understand why this sort of thing is important but unless the thing is genuinely terrible (which it never is) I don't understand why it attracts so much comment and criticism.

The rugby union 6N promotional videos are routinely horrendous yet it doesn't seem to affect the numbers turning up or their enjoyment.

You could argue the best advert for the new season was the world cup at the end of last year with much of it available to the full country at decent times.

Well ideally it would create a bit of buzz in advance of the season, it would get people sharing it and hopefully going viral. The Jonny Vegas one (was it last year) got some huge numbers (for an RL video of this kind).

I haven't seen this shared at all on FB by any of my friends and nobody I know has commented on it. 

This is a miss as far as I'm concerned.

1 hour ago, Bramstein said:

I think some of the criticism is because we need to do better, the 6N is a sell out with good viewing figures so its less critical?

Of course due to this being RL we could get Steven Speilberg in to do the vid and someone would still say we aren't being very ambitious... 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

16 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I think some of the criticism is because we need to do better, the 6N is a sell out with good viewing figures so its less critical?

Of course due to this being RL we could get Steven Speilberg in to do the vid and someone would still say we aren't being very ambitious... 

I suspect once Sky get hold of it we may see a snappier edit which may improve it out of sight, as the main problem is that it just drags!

I wasn't that excited by it. On the plus side the Brownlee brothers are great guys to have involved in RL, and they selected a good mix of player to represent RL.

The 'behind the scenes' video which goes with it completely blows apart the whole premise though, showing that most of the guys didn't actually complete the exercise they were doing (except Watkins), and arguably couldn't. Currie planks for about ten seconds.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Even if Steven Spielberg was commissioned to direct it, we’d probably still end up with mushy peas and Johnny Vegas.

With RL heavily involved in the armed forces and Help for Heroes etc, it’s a shame we can’t get a royal patron to do a few minutes of chat.   I can’t expect the rest of the world to take RL seriously when it’s own executives would rather push the parochial Northern mantra...

https://youtu.be/YT5kI3zJFmA

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

5 hours ago, Dave T said:

football All very meh.

You get the point within 10 seconds, but it plods on for another 190 seconds!

Why do we have to keep portraying our athletes as robots?

I don't get the roboting either, the magical characters a few years ago were much better. I think the other sports bring the human side put better and at the end of the day we are buying into a soap opera.

5 hours ago, Dave T said:

All very meh.

You get the point within 10 seconds, but it plods on for another 190 seconds!

Why do we have to keep portraying our athletes as robots?

I didn't know it was the actual advert until I saw this thread. 

I liked the Bradley Wiggins ad from a few seasons ago and celebrity endorsements are great but this ad is awful. 

The Ryan Hall advert with him running and it keeps switching back and forth from that try against Huddersfield was great and the WC You Don't Know Who Iam advert was great 

It's a bit poor in my opinion. The Brownlee brothers have a decent profile as endorsers, but their acting is basic and it's not exciting. 

I'm no advertiser, but I'd consider taking the different league tag and showing clips of games (mix skills and hits). That or focus on the fans, though I think the latter is more about exciting our base than attracting new fans.

23 hours ago, Dave T said:

I suspect once Sky get hold of it we may see a snappier edit which may improve it out of sight, as the main problem is that it just drags!

Is 'nt that the whole point. I guess its for promos for the season, using individual segments at a time. Could work.

That was the worst thing ever...whoever sanctioned that should be fired, no one in the RLF or SL board (not sure who's responsible for this) ever heard of marketing? Highlight some massive hits, big tries and show the trophy being lifted with some good tunes in the background....not whatever that was.

I found the Clip as boring as hell! There was no excitement or build up to anything. It came across as a training video with nothing really special about it. It promotes the players as pure athletes with little personality and does nothing to promote Rugby League or Super League. There have been some good and bad Promo videos done for SL but this is the worst for me. If it doesnt produce much emotion from League fans imagine the little affect it has on others!

I would like a video similar to the NRL 2013 one which has kids playing alongside the NRL players and it has a positive feel and one that shows a Community Sport played at different levels by different people. 

or something thats highlights the community side and the youngsters looking forward to the game, the players getting warmed up leading to highlights and finally the Grand Final Trophy being lifted at a packed Old Trafford. Its not that hard to promote your product by showing what your brand is. The SL video doesnt do this at all.

7 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

SL Show goes traditional -

People would love videos like this every year going off comments - but quite simply they have no chance of going viral and are done for the other 40 weeks of the year.

I like the approach to a season launch video. Trying something new to get people talking and going viral is great and interesting - a clips video wouldnt do that. Jonny Vegas went viral, as did Wiggins. The 'time is now' (or similar) ones were ok too.

Unfortunately this years is so flat. I literally havent seen anybody share it or say they like it! I know we like to be negative but the othera have been shared and gone viral to different extents each year.

The principal of an SL launch ad is good, and i disagree it has to be bish bash bosh style, but it has to be interesting.

Archived