challenge cup

5 hours ago, John Drake said:

Here's some perspective. It was the fourth best attended Rugby League match in the world last year.

1. 82,259 (Origin II)
2. 79,722 (NRL Grand Final)
3. 72,827 (Super League Grand Final)
4. 68,525 (Challenge Cup Final)
5. 52,540 (Origin III)
6. 50,390 (Origin I)

This against a backdrop of Rugby League folk constantly running it down and calling for it to be scrapped.

Imagine what could be achieved if we talked it up occasionally!

Sure, there are always different ways of doing things, opportunities to tweak what happens before the final itself, but scrapping the Challenge Cup altogether would be an act of gross self harm by Rugby League IMO.

Worth remembering that the awful travel problems in the NW reduced Wigan fans attending. 

I think actually the CC is on the up. The BBC screening every round has created loads of interest. For the first time this Saturday I’m off to a round one match. In football the FA Cup dipped in popularity a few years ago. Of course it’s almost certain a SL team will win (upsets are possible earlier on) but it remains a great day out and last year at the final I sat next to Skolars, Broncos, Leeds, Castleford and Halifax fans as well as Hull. The cost of getting and staying in London is an issue but, no, no, no! Keep it going! 

6 hours ago, dredgie said:

Clubs don't help themselves - Royal Navy don't seem to know where they are playing on Saturdayhttp://www.royalnavyrugbyleague.com/teams/9121/match-centre/0-3934967

Not so, dredgie.  The RNRL webpage has had a good piece about this fixture for a number of days, and the extraordinary fact that this is the fourth time the Navy and Normanton have met in the challenge cup; the previous three had winning margins of two points twice and four points once.  Select 'News and Calendar' on the drop-down menu at the top of the home page.

By the way, it is 2pm at the United Services ground in Burnaby Road, Portsmouth. "As always all spectators service or civilian are welcome to the game and admission is free with bar facilities available from 1.30pm."  I would have gone, but have a choral commitment in Salisbury that day, and don't want to let anybody down over that.

Archived