NRL: That’s my, erm, team

I've always kept an eye on Brisbane because of their connection to Wigan. I was very young when they beat Brisbane in 94 but I can remember my mum and dad going mental and as a result they were the first Austrlian team I knew about. In recent years Wigan played them twice in 2 years at Wigan too so whilst I'm hardly a "supporter" theyre one I always root for.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like some others on here, I've tried a few times to latch on to a team but have never managed to do so. Hoping to visit Oz later in the year, so if I go to the game, I'll make the home side my team.

Also, a pal who recently moved out there bought my son a Titans hoodie for Christmas so they've got a decent chance of being my pick...

5 minutes ago, Tonka said:

For reasons I can't explain I sort of like the Bulldogs, Souths and Warriors.  But I'm not massively partisan.

Consistency in style?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

2 hours ago, Bramstein said:

I don't really have a favourite team but if I had to pick one it would probably be Manly on the basis they always seemed to appear on Trans World sport on Saturday mornings back in the early 90's. I also like the maroon kit.

Trans World sport wow - flashback moment right there! You had to be up early for that one. 

According to Downunderleisure Souths are their biggest sellers.

I like to purchase a lot of teams training gear and polos tho as for jerseys I prefer the old thick ones.

Hopefully a few others will visit the Australian part of the forum and join in the tipping competition once the season commences.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

23 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Trans World sport wow - flashback moment right there! You had to be up early for that one. 

They show it on Freesports TV nowadays. In fact, an episode is showing right now.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

20 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Who do you support in the NRL?

Why do you support them?

Which teams are the most attractive to watch in your opinion?

I support Manly. 

I spent time there in 2001. 

The Melbourne Storm are fun to watch as well when they had the big 3 = Slater, Cronk and Smith.  

3 hours ago, Allora said:

Consistency in style?

I think I liked the Warriors because some Wigan players went there when they were first set up.

Then the Bulldogs because when I first got my own house with Sky and access to the NRL (mid-2000s) they were really good.

And then the Rabbitohs because I always liked their kit.  Then they became good so it was so much the better.

But yeah I think there is consistency of style there too.

19 hours ago, dkw said:

Yeah, I think his mother was Scottish but grew up in Workington. 

You may be able to answer this. The first Brit to win a GF in AUS. It comes up in trivia a bit here and everybody remembers Reilly, and Kevin Ward but nobody remembers the first guy. I always remember he was the first but forget his name. Started with Haven. Played for GB in early 60s. Won a GF with St George in 65? 66? also played a couple of seasons with Workington. He was forward, probably a prop.

15 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

You may be able to answer this. The first Brit to win a GF in AUS. It comes up in trivia a bit here and everybody remembers Reilly, and Kevin Ward but nobody remembers the first guy. I always remember he was the first but forget his name. Started with Haven. Played for GB in early 60s. Won a GF with St George in 65? 66? also played a couple of seasons with Workington. He was forward, probably a prop.

Huddart?.

20 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Dick Huddart and he was a second row who tore Australia apart on a couple of Lions tours.

7 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Dick Huddart 

I think it's just a function of memory + TV. Having that visual memory of someone helps you remember the name.

Of course the other great AUS trivia name is John Rineberger (sp?) the Most Successful OZ RL player ever. He played one full first grade game and won one GF. Roosters in 1974, I think.

I loosely followed the team from which Barrow had imported a player: 

Kevin Hastings - Eastern Suburbs (outstanding player}.

Chris Johns - Brisbane Broncos.

Cavil Heugh - Illawarra Steelers.

Dave Brown - Manly.

Rod Reddy - St George.

Ned Catic - Eastern Suburbs.

No particular favourite team though have taken more of an interest in Souths due to the Burgess clan recently.

Moff
Go Cumbria!

8 hours ago, Bramstein said:

I don't really have a favourite team but if I had to pick one it would probably be Manly on the basis they always seemed to appear on Trans World sport on Saturday mornings back in the early 90's. I also like the maroon kit.

I actually prefer the white version of the Manly shirt and it was that which swayed me in their direction. They also had a few players from the British game in the 80s. Leuluai, Goodway, Iro etc. 

rldfsignature.jpg

8 hours ago, Allora said:

Consistency in style?

Allora tell us all how you used to follow Parramatta but after a few wooden spoons you swapped to being a Cowboys supporter :lol: classic Allora.

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 6:10 AM, Gerrumonside ref said:

Who do you support in the NRL?

Why do you support them?

Which teams are the most attractive to watch in your opinion?

# Rabbitohs

# Because in my family you either follow South Sydney or your out, I was born a 4th generation Rabbitoh.

# I'd love to say Souths but lately watching them has been a form of torture, Manly & the Warriors are entertaining sides when they click.

Archived