Toronto for visiting away fans

Gerrumonside ref

If soccer is your thing there is a TFC game on Friday @ 8pm.

From Sheraton take 501 Queen Street West streetcar up to Dufferin St. then follow fan hordes down to BMO field. btw 501 is a very inexpensive sighseeing tour through one of the busiest city artery. If you are brave enough take it all the way east and there you'll find Riverdale Park which has one of the best view of the city's skyline and great picnic site. Park has a small baseball and full size football/soccer/track fields. I saw ultimate frisbee played there few times.

Prices:

Single transit fare is $3.25 (kids under 12 free) and includes transfer between routes and subway lines. I do not recommend bus rides some roads in the city are kept poorly. avoid bumps and bruises - travel by streetcar or subway. 

Beer. anywhere between $8.50 to $15 a pint, one rule is: closer downtown=higher prices (quality might not follow this trend). If beer is your thing I highly recommend Queen/Ossington neighborhood. Again your favourite 501 will take you there. Very nice microbrewery there: http://www.bellwoodsbrewery.com . Avoid having local beer giants Molson and Labbat's (unless you are a hangover fan).

Try poutine ($8-$10) It tastes amazing after having one too many. I recommend "Smoke's", there is one very conveniently located in the heart of Liberty Village aka. Wolfpack Village. It's steps away from Lamport and "3 Brewers" (Pack Vatican). Good food and as fresh as you can get beer all made on site. Reasonable prices.

From Sheraton you are steps away from Art Gallery of Ontario($20) with collection ranging from modern to prehistoric. Very nice although pricey souvenir shop inside (free entrance). Bonus part is that you are basically in chinatown and not too far from Kensington Market, good combination of food and bars open late. btw. bars close around 2am. weekends bit longer depending how relaxed is the neighborhood. Kensington is.

Closest subway station from Sheraton is Osgoode. If you take south you are getting closer to Lake Ontario, CN Tower, Blue Jays Stadium, Raptors Stadium, Toronto Harbour (ferry to Toronto Island opens middle of May till about end of Rugby season. http://www.torontoisland.com/ferry.php )

If you head north and feel brave enough exit at Spadina station and walk east,  you are not to far from Royal Ontario Museum. Fantastic for kids and all young at heart. Gazillion rooms with artefacts from around the world. https://www.rom.on.ca/

About 5 lights west of Spadina or about 20 minute walk is Korea Town with tons of restaurants and karaoke bars. Good food, good prices.

90% of streets downtown run nwse so you can't be easily lost. CN Tower is an excellent orientation point. Located far south and in the middle. If you are unsure just ask. 

Each of the recommended places are Instagram approved.

(Not sure about shopping places. I hate shopping).

Now the thing is how to get to Fletcher's Field?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the craft beer fans - if you go to the CN tower, you're steps away from Steamwhistle (not sure if they're "craft / micro" anymore, but excellent tour") and Amsterdam -  which has lots of delicious brews. Also worth checking out is Mill St brewpub in the historic Distillery District, which has some nice restaurants and I think shopping.

Lots of other breweries throughout the city, they shouldn't be hard to look up. 

14 hours ago, krakauer said:

(Not sure about shopping places. I hate shopping).

Well you could always hit the Wolfpacks official Shop for their limited edition Championship kits...its a one year only special...will have to settle for SL kits next year. Also i would be pretty surprised if Kappa is the kit manufacture still next year if all of the delays were related to them.

David Argyle's personal welcome to Swinton Lions fans:

"Dear Swinton Lions fans,

We are delighted to see the number of you who will make the journey to Toronto to experience rugby league in Canada. We strive to provide fans old and new with an unparalleled experience while visiting our home.

Toronto Wolfpack fans, and our entire organisation, look forward to spending time with you and learning more about the history and heritage of your great club. To welcome you to Toronto we will be hosting drinks on Friday, May 4 in downtown Toronto. Please join us at KATANA ON BAY from 7pm, located at 333 Bay Street.

On Saturday prior to the match we also invite you to join us at our partner pub 3 Brewers, located at 2 East Liberty street. This will be an opportunity to meet Wolfpack fans before we transport you to the ground free of charge. See the bus pickup schedule below:

Departure from 3 Brewers: 2:30 pm
Departure from Fletchers Field: 7:30 pm

We look forward to welcoming you to Toronto, and letting you experience the hospitality of Canadian fans.

Best regards,

Chairman, Toronto Wolfpack RLFC"

Man's a class.

Very few of you seem to mention the finest - beer! As we are connoisseurs of fine ale and many a Tyke laments the loss of proper Tetley Bitter now the brewery has shut, what in your land comes closest to the dark amber with creamy head we fondly remember? ?

2 hours ago, Reverend Ram said:

Very few of you seem to mention the finest - beer! As we are connoisseurs of fine ale and many a Tyke laments the loss of proper Tetley Bitter now the brewery has shut, what in your land comes closest to the dark amber with creamy head we fondly remember? ?

Here you go:

http://dailyhive.com/toronto/toronto-craft-brewery-map-2017

A few of those 30 craft brewers have a stand at each Wolfpack home game.

2 hours ago, Cameron Highlander said:

d p?.....I'm really confused.  What did you think was a "regular thing"......maintenance?   Just got back from 3B's.

A bus from 3B to Lamport. From krakauer’s post above.

“On Saturday prior to the match we also invite you to join us at our partner pub 3 Brewers, located at 2 East Liberty street. This will be an opportunity to meet Wolfpack fans before we transport you to the ground free of charge. See the bus pickup schedule below:”

rldfsignature.jpg

6 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

A bus from 3B to Lamport. From krakauer’s post above.

“On Saturday prior to the match we also invite you to join us at our partner pub 3 Brewers, located at 2 East Liberty street. This will be an opportunity to meet Wolfpack fans before we transport you to the ground free of charge. See the bus pickup schedule below:”

lol it's a 5 min walk tops, this is just a one time thing for Fletcher's. I believe he invites the players and traveling supporters to his restaurant for drinks normally though.

On 5/2/2018 at 9:41 AM, bird said:

What's a growler?

well guarantee you it's not the same thing as a UK "growler"!  basically a darn big big jug o beer

On 5/2/2018 at 4:10 AM, Reverend Ram said:

RR  - try a Sleemans Cream Ale...very good beer.

14 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

Mill St. Cobblestone Stout is great if your like stouts, highly recommend you try a few. for breakfast have some Waterloo Raddlers

Surely you are not advocating a man of the cloth should imbibe before noon? ?

5 minutes ago, Reverend Ram said:

Surely you are not advocating a man of the cloth should imbibe before noon? ?

It's mostly grapefruit juice....its right on the can. bedsides  its a 5 hr difference  so it will be past noon UK time come our breakfast. 

7 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

It's mostly grapefruit juice....its right on the can. bedsides  its a 5 hr difference  so it will be past noon UK time come our breakfast. 

Ha ha I like the logic! Praise the Lord and pass the bottle opener...

39 minutes ago, Reverend Ram said:

Ha ha I like the logic! Praise the Lord and pass the bottle opener...

No need bud...it's in cans, regular and tallboy.

Just to manage peoples expectations when you're here, at the games there is a two drink per person limit at a time. You can't order 10 beers and get comfy in your seat, this is why people are constantly moving at the games and why the beer garden is so popular.

we usually have a group of 8-10 so always somebody's turn to get 'em in and the beer wallahs with their cooler bags are pretty efficient...easy to baffle government officialdom

Archived