10 local players to start for Newcastle on Saturday night

Newcastle thunders squad against Hemel Stags will feature 10 local based players with 3 players from the U19s academy making  first team debuts

A tremendously positive stat that shows the good work that’s going on within the academy and the local clubs in the area.

https://www.thunderrugby.co.uk/on-field/thunder-announce-squad-for-hemel-stags-clash/

This is very admirable. 

Realistically I have to question whether this would be possible for a full time professional club.  I cannot think of one sporting franchise in any of the following in North America:  NFL, CFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, Lacrosse or Soccer that has more then 1-3 local players on its team, and in certain sports more likely they have none.

It does show a commitment on Newcastle's part to their local development system but I think realistically this is only achievable due to the non-pro and very local geography of the sport.

This is how sport should be. 10/10 to Newcastle. What a great way to truly engage with their loved cal community and put their name on the local map.

newcastle is prime League material

20 hours ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

Newcastle thunders squad against Hemel Stags will feature 10 local based players with 3 players from the U19s academy making  first team debuts

A tremendously positive stat that shows the good work that’s going on within the academy and the local clubs in the area.

https://www.thunderrugby.co.uk/on-field/thunder-announce-squad-for-hemel-stags-clash/

Good stuff. Well done Newcastle Thunder and to all the people involved at grassroots level in the north east.

Do you think the game has potential to move into new areas in and around the north east?

3 hours ago, walter sobchak said:

Good stuff. Well done Newcastle Thunder and to all the people involved at grassroots level in the north east.

Do you think the game has potential to move into new areas in and around the north east?

Absolutely, the game is growing at a fast rate in the area, we have three new local clubs starting this year. Yarm Wolves from the Teesside area entered last year with u14’s, they loved the sport so much they now have u9,12,14 and 16’s, we have a new club all the way up in Alnwick and the West Newcastle Magpies who are also Launching this year

We have teams like Cramlington Rockets who have won their first two rounds of the National Cup and now face Thatto Heath in the next round 

And at Open Age we have clubs like Whitley Bay Barbarians who will be returning, and an invite has been sent up to Scotland for the two Scottish clubs to come down and play merit format friendly games and play in the cup 

it looks like player registrations in the north east will be up over 5% this year and the target is to average over 1,000 at thunder games 

It’s hard not to be positive about the North East at the moment 

54 minutes ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

Absolutely, the game is growing at a fast rate in the area, we have three new local clubs starting this year. Yarm Wolves from the Teesside area entered last year with u14’s, they loved the sport so much they now have u9,12,14 and 16’s, we have a new club all the way up in Alnwick and the West Newcastle Magpies who are also Launching this year

We have teams like Cramlington Rockets who have won their first two rounds of the National Cup and now face Thatto Heath in the next round 

And at Open Age we have clubs like Whitley Bay Barbarians who will be returning, and an invite has been sent up to Scotland for the two Scottish clubs to come down and play merit format friendly games and play in the cup 

it looks like player registrations in the north east will be up over 5% this year and the target is to average over 1,000 at thunder games 

Another great news story from Newcastle and well done to everyone concerned.

1 hour ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

Where are West Newcastle Magpies based? 

Great to see development in Yarm, a nice place and Teeside a long since untapped area

1 hour ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

They will be based out of Walbottle in the West end of Newcastle 

Thanks, thought it might have been Blaydon/Winlaton again or Prudhoe. What facility are they utilising at Walbottle? Are they starting off with juniors?

On 2.2.2018 at 7:32 PM, Captain Survival said:

This is very admirable. 

Realistically I have to question whether this would be possible for a full time professional club.  I cannot think of one sporting franchise in any of the following in North America:  NFL, CFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, Lacrosse or Soccer that has more then 1-3 local players on its team, and in certain sports more likely they have none.

It does show a commitment on Newcastle's part to their local development system but I think realistically this is only achievable due to the non-pro and very local geography of the sport.

Why not? You look at Wigan back in the 80s and how many came from the local clubs like Wigan St.Pats. In the League above Newcastle, Halifax have 13 local lads (and 16 lads progressing from reserve) having a first team squad number. Thats despite other local lads playing at other Clubs like Scott Grix, Joe Wardle, Kruise Leeming, Liam Finn, Jake Connor etc

Leeds,  Wigan, St.Helens etc have hada good number of their first team squad over the recently years coming from the local area.

It can be done but also depends on how good your local scene is and also what relationship exists. For a club like Salford, where the local Youth  scene is small and not so strong, then they have to rely on picking up youngsters from other areas.

Its great that Rugby League is so strong in the North East that Newcastle can put a team thats many local but also can challenge and beat some Heartland clubs. Hopefully in time,  we will be seeing a number of North East players playing in SL like a number of the Southern and Welsh lads have done. Even better if thats with Newcastle Thunder. 

On 03/02/2018 at 8:39 AM, Newcastle Thunder said:

Again this is great news. I have family in jesmond so I have a soft spot for Newcastle as a city even though I support Sunderland!!!

Whenever I travel to Newcastle I’m always struck by the number of students in and around the city especially on the metro and I always wonder to myself if more could be gone to engage with them as possible players or even potential fans of the thunder.

7 hours ago, walter sobchak said:

Again this is great news. I have family in jesmond so I have a soft spot for Newcastle as a city even though I support Sunderland!!!

Whenever I travel to Newcastle I’m always struck by the number of students in and around the city especially on the metro and I always wonder to myself if more could be gone to engage with them as possible players or even potential fans of the thunder.

Jesmond, eh?

Fancy.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Excellent, this is what Barrow have been striving to do for the last 3 years. Good luck.

22 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Newcastle should be in SL 

You may not have noticed, but they were in 1999. Then Kath Hetherington pulled the wool over the fans eyes, filled us full of hope and then moved to Hull.

1 hour ago, walter sobchak said:

Indeed. You can always tell you’re in jesmond just by how they pronounce Newcastle.

Good work Newcastle ! Good luck for season hope you have a great season be good to see a club which was badly done by rfl all them years ago get up the leagues ... also when are the thunder shirts going to be showed to fans ( don’t support thunder but want to buy a shirt to add to my collection) 

Archived