I'll just put this out there.

Loiner

After watching tonights game has there been a better No.9 in the super league era than James Roby ? Personally I don't think so, head and shoulders above anybody, yes even Cunningham.

33 minutes ago, Loiner said:

After watching tonights game has there been a better No.9 in the super league era than James Roby ? Personally I don't think so, head and shoulders above anybody, yes even Cunningham.

No probably not. Certainly not from this country anyway. Wonderful player.

Roby will eclipse him, but for his time Cunningham was the best in the world.

I would say Robes is close to that and after the world cup and watching him against Smith I think they are as good as each other now.

If Roby did what he did last night as regularly as he does week in week out in the NRL they would have made him an Aussie and he would be an immortal, I think he really is that good. And his kicking game, which is actually very good, would have been far more in evidence down under as well.

Great player. Never spoken about enough for me. I thought Cunningham had a remit to bring through young players and failed. Roby was collateral and that was a terrible thing to see.

Glad he has his place back in that team and I would put him in the England set up as well - clever chap.

18 minutes ago, Kris said:

Roby will eclipse him, but for his time Cunningham was the best in the world.

I would say Robes is close to that and after the world cup and watching him against Smith I think they are as good as each other now.

If Roby did what he did last night as regularly as he does week in week out in the NRL they would have made him an Aussie and he would be an immortal, I think he really is that good. And his kicking game, which is actually very good, would have been far more in evidence down under as well.

Great player. Never spoken about enough for me. I thought Cunningham had a remit to bring through young players and failed. Roby was collateral and that was a terrible thing to see.

Glad he has his place back in that team and I would put him in the England set up as well - clever chap.

Cunningham was never the best in the World. It takes more than one game to be the best.

He barely played against Australia.

5 games in 23 Tests, he always had  "Health issues"

Did he win any games against Australia.

Roby has looked very ordinary on several occasions at Test level against top class opposition.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

20 hours ago, Allora said:

Cunningham was never the best in the World. It takes more than one game to be the best.

Roby has looked very ordinary on several occasions at Test level against top class opposition.

Your criticism of Cunningham is a bit over the top,1 game really.

Your criticism of Roby is just plain rediculous and shows a basic lack of understanding of the game of RL.

Roby is a fantastic, naturally gifted RL player and would probably walk into just about any team either here or over in Oz at some point in his career.

I don't want to upset anyone on here but I would say the mention of James Lowes in comparison proves there are not only antipodeans on here with those slightly rose tinted specs.

(Sorry :sad:)

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Taking this a step further from the 3 we have in question in order of merit my favorites (and I stress British born for my selection) for a top 10 of hookers I have seen going back to the mid 1960's are in order:

1. James Roby

2. James Lowes

3. Terry Newton

4 Keiron Cunningham

5 Micky Higham

6. Mike Stephenson

7. Lee Jackson

8. Martin Dermott

9 Kevin Ashcroft

10 Peter 'Flash' Flanagan

Just missing out on my selection, Keith Elwell, Keith Bridges, Nicky Kiss, Tony Karalius, Kevin Beardmore.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Taking this a step further from the 3 we have in question in order of merit my favorites (and I stress British born for my selection) for a top 10 of hookers I have seen going back to the mid 1960's are in order:

1. James Roby

2. James Lowes

3. Terry Newton

4 Keiron Cunningham

5 Micky Higham

6. Mike Stephenson

7. Lee Jackson

8. Martin Dermott

9 Kevin Ashcroft

Just missing out on my selection, Keith Elwell, Keith Bridges, Nicky Kiss, Tony Karalius, Kevin Beardmore.

Well done for going so far back in making your top ten choices, HS.  I might be tempted to include Colin Clarke, but then I was introduced to TGG via Saturday afternoons at Central Park!  However, there is another factor here which specifically makes cross-generational comparison even more difficult than usual.  'Back in those days', hookers had to be good at something else too...hooking!

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

1. James Roby

2. James Lowes

3. Terry Newton

4 Keiron Cunningham

5 Micky Higham

6. Mike Stephenson

7. Lee Jackson

8. Martin Dermott

9 Kevin Ashcroft

Great list. Surprised Great Britain’s youngest ever captain and back to back title winner didn’t get a mention... not even in the also rans. 

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

4 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Roby is a fantastic, naturally gifted RL player and would probably walk into just about any team either here or over in Oz at some point in his career.

I don't want to upset anyone on here but I would say the mention of James Lowes in comparison proves there are not only antipodeans on here with those slightly rose tinted specs.

(Sorry :sad:)

How soon we forget...

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

47 minutes ago, Konkrete said:

How soon we forget...

:huh:

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I know everyone has their own view but for me an 18-24 year old Cunningham is still the best hooker I’ve seen at saints. People sometimes forget how fast a young Cunningham was. What I would say about Roby is his level of performance very rarely drops below very good. His consistency is something that very few players can match. 

On 03/02/2018 at 11:21 PM, Allora said:

I suppose you will say Cameron Smith was the best in the world but he was never on the winning side against Cas!!!!!!! :ph34r:

Archived