Jofra Archer, why does he have to go through residency?

Sorry if this has been done before

I dont understand why he cannot play for England now.... He has an English Father and a British Passport.. he may have been born in the West Indies but surely he qualifies for England as much as anyone else even under the new rules... he is a British Citizen with a passport.. 

I understand the residency rules have been changed but why does someone who has an English father and British passport in that way have to qualify by residency? 

any help explaining this is more than welcome

7 minutes ago, RP London said:

Sorry if this has been done before

I dont understand why he cannot play for England now.... He has an English Father and a British Passport.. he may have been born in the West Indies but surely he qualifies for England as much as anyone else even under the new rules... he is a British Citizen with a passport.. 

I understand the residency rules have been changed but why does someone who has an English father and British passport in that way have to qualify by residency? 

any help explaining this is more than welcome

Wiki: "he did not live in England until after his 18th birthday so needs to complete a seven year residency period"

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Wiki: "he did not live in England until after his 18th birthday so needs to complete a seven year residency period"

But thats the bit I dont get.. he may not live in England but he is half English with a British passport.. its a bit different from someone coming over without those links.. 

2 minutes ago, RP London said:

But thats the bit I dont get.. he may not live in England but he is half English with a British passport.. its a bit different from someone coming over without those links.. 

It's in the ECB rules.

Presumably it's to stop someone playing their way through all the under age groups but then turning out for England when they are 19 - which has happened a fair bit in the past and nearly always to England's benefit.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

23 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's in the ECB rules.

Presumably it's to stop someone playing their way through all the under age groups but then turning out for England when they are 19 - which has happened a fair bit in the past and nearly always to England's benefit.

sorry Jon not sure what you mean by that.. its an ECB rule so surely if its to England's benefit then that is ok? 

I have no issue with a residency rule etc it just that I think it is very odd that someone who is a British citizen at birth cannot play for the England Cricket team (would understand if he was 3 years residency British Citizen and he had to do a few more to qualify for the cricket team)

15 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I think it is because he represented the West Indies at a Junior level.

is it this?

I always thought it was senior level but I may be wrong.

8 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

According to Wiki it is because he didn't live in England until he was older than 18

Understand that Wiki has that as the reason, just find it hard to understand why he needs to have done so when he has an english father and a british passport.. doesnt make sense to me

Someone born and brought up in say South Africa to South African parents (no british heritage what so ever) until the age of 17 then moves over is eligable at 21 to play for England... player with English father & British Passport but moves over at 20 isnt eligable till he is 27.. just seems really odd

Archived