SL Clubs sponsored Leigh - DB

12 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Clearing up the gossip and where the money came from.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/derek-beaumont-explains-leighs-parachute-payment/

Why the sly dig at Catalans - not really needed. I don't think anyone would be concerned about a parachute payment for a relegated club. I have advocated it for a long time as have many others. However, the cloak and dagger way in which UK RL operates leaves a lot to be desired. The ####ing about without sorting a structure prior to the 2018 kick off being a rather large case in point.

14 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Clearing up the gossip and where the money came from.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/derek-beaumont-explains-leighs-parachute-payment/

I don't think there is any need to twist it as a kind of sponsorship deal, that is silly. 

People understand parachute payments, and if the SL clubs decide that they want to invest in having one then that is their right I would say.

The clarification around timelines and reasons is the interesting part and hopefully stops people complaining. All seems reasonable.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I don't think there is any need to twist it as a kind of sponsorship deal, that is silly. 

People understand parachute payments, and if the SL clubs decide that they want to invest in having one then that is their right I would say.

The clarification around timelines and reasons is the interesting part and hopefully stops people complaining. All seems reasonable.

Exactly, if it was decided early last season. Why did we only hear about it a few weeks ago in a press leak.

1 minute ago, Mattrhino said:

I thought it was a sweetner to keep DB happy until they are given a SL place next year and it seems I was right.

Probably the missing piece of information is whether this parachute payment is an ongoing payment. Obviously if the structure changes in 2019 it may not be needed anyway.

Just now, Mattrhino said:

Exactly, if it was decided early last season. Why did we only hear about it a few weeks ago in a press leak.

This is the kind of thing that was used to kick Nigel Wood, yet it would appear it was the SL clubs and not the RFL.

22 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Probably the missing piece of information is whether this parachute payment is an ongoing payment. Obviously if the structure changes in 2019 it may not be needed anyway.

Good point.  Maybe we’ll hear something about financials following the ‘review’ Carter spoke about a few weeks ago.  

2019 not being agreed (openly) is galling.

33 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This is the kind of thing that was used to kick Nigel Wood, yet it would appear it was the SL clubs and not the RFL.

But it is the sort of thing Nigel should have put in place when he reintroduced P&R. It shouldn't be up to the clubs to do this.

16 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

I'm still surprised Neil Hudgell hasn't battered the door down at SL HQ yet.

Why does he need to batter down the door when he is now inside the room? I'm sure he will have raised the issue. Lots of fun and games to be had over the next few weeks. Any decision that will be made on future teams, funding and leadership will be far from unanimous you can guarantee. This is RL after all :D

6 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Why does he need to batter down the door when he is now inside the room? I'm sure he will have raised the issue. Lots of fun and games to be had over the next few weeks. Any decision that will be made on future teams, funding and leadership will be far from unanimous you can guarantee. This is RL after all :D

Beaumont’s comments are great for the media but  ‘clarifying’ Leigh’s payment might just irk some Clubs a bit.  Will such transparency be top of the agenda now SL clubs have control?  

28 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

But it is the sort of thing Nigel should have put in place when he reintroduced P&R. It shouldn't be up to the clubs to do this.

Not necessarily, he managed to wangle huge increases for the top clubs in the Championship in effect a parachute payment versus the previous agreement - if the SL clubs decide they want to provide more security, then it is absolutely up to them.

29 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Not necessarily, he managed to wangle huge increases for the top clubs in the Championship in effect a parachute payment versus the previous agreement - if the SL clubs decide they want to provide more security, then it is absolutely up to them.

Cant believe how many are missing that simple point, and I am sure if the comp will be the same in 2019 and the SL clubs decide to do the same again then Mr Hudgell will vote for it and take it - something the SL clubs didn't decide to do in 2016 for 2017

32 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Why bother relegating them? Why bother making them play for promotion?

For a lot or clubs this season is turning in to a waste of time, if we aren't careful next season will aswell

I had the exact same thought. Why are we bothering keeping a SL squad in a semi-pro league. It seems a waste of half a million quid to me.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Not saying it isn't up to them. Infact it is a good idea if we are insistant of P&R to have a parachute payment.

The increases are not parachute payments though because as DB said in the article he needed to pay bills now not 9 months down the line. In any case the prize money increases fall well short of SL central funding so the parachute payments take the edge off.

1 minute ago, Mattrhino said:

Not saying it isn't up to them. Infact it is a good idea if we are insistant of P&R to have a parachute payment.

The increases are not parachute payments though because as DB said in the article he needed to pay bills now not 9 months down the line. In any case the prize money increases fall well short of SL central funding so the parachute payments take the edge off.

MY point was that under the old system a relegated team may have got the standard £150k. Under the new system they may get £500k as things are skewed towards the top of the division. 

Whether a payment is made in a lump sum or throughout the year isn't really relevant as bills will still be paid throughout the year.

Just now, scotchy1 said:

But this money wasn't to pay bills dsve. It was to pay players. Speciically all centralised funding whether from the RFL or SL clubs had to be used for paying players. 

It' pretty clear what this payment was for. So that the club who Got relegated or HKR if they didn't get promoted were the ones to be promoted into the 14 this year. 

That was one of the contradictions tbh, he started talking about a couple of clubs that would go bust, but giving clubs money for players as you say, does not sort that. 

I wouldn't be surprised if it was badly thought out rather than some real desire to keep Leigh in SL. I was reading an article about the Premier League maybe reviewing its parachute payment as plenty clubs just sell their best players and cash in on the huge sums they are given. The RL market doesn't work like that though.

Maybe this was a thought for Catalans?

1 hour ago, Mattrhino said:

I had the exact same thought. Why are we bothering keeping a SL squad in a semi-pro league. It seems a waste of half a million quid to me.

You have  a great team in the lower division giving all the players in that league a tougher opponent for them to get test their skills and learn against, fans get to see bigger starts...your investing in the lower league. More transparency is needed so its doesn't look like a shady back room deal. Also if two SL clubs go down do they each get half a mill or is the half mill split amongst all relegated SL teams?

53 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

You have  a great team in the lower division giving all the players in that league a tougher opponent for them to get test their skills and learn against, fans get to see bigger starts...your investing in the lower league. More transparency is needed so its doesn't look like a shady back room deal. Also if two SL clubs go down do they each get half a mill or is the half mill split amongst all relegated SL teams?

Half a mil split between that Team and Leigh.

I dont know what the problem is. As a leigh fan, my conspiracy is that we threw the Catalans game to be guaranteed promotion the year afterwards. I think Catalans would be one of the two teams in turmoil if relegated. 500k is nothing in todays terms and doesnt even fill the void of lost attendances etc...

Love him or hate him, Derek Beaumont loves the game of RL and has been both humble and professional considering the circumstances around relegation.

Still, sport is full of dreams. SL is split now in my opinion and I would favour a two tier SL. We have had all of this criteria for some years and some established SL teams have had millions, yet still play in a hell hole !!  Parachute payments have been in existence before and you shouldn't penalise a team, especially one that didn't finish bottom.

It will be deja vu this year too as i see Salford and HKR as the two main candidates to struggle. It will be interesting to see what happens hence the reason why nothing is being said currently. Both will probably stay up in my opinion with a 14 team SL and 1 up and 1 down in future.

Archived