PTB - back to how it should be?

Looks like the PTB is coming into focus in the NRL this year.  Some trial games have had referees policing this area and hopefully, this will stimulate the same in SL.

Certainly, it will slow down the speed of attack, but this distinct rule in our game has become a mockery.   Frustrating especially for amateur coaches coaching the correct action, only to see the pro game effect throwing the ball between the legs.

http://www.watoday.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-2018-nrl-to-launch-crackdown-on-play-the-balls-20180210-h0vw3g.html

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They'll probably have forgotten all about it by round 6.

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

18 minutes ago, Southerner said:

Great more whistle blowing and stoppages!!

One of the best part of our sport is the quickness, we’ve got to be careful we don’t lose this.

Yep. I can't honestly say I care whether the player's foot taps the ball or not. The purpose is to restart play after a tackle and I'd rather that was done as quickly as possible.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Looks like the PTB is coming into focus in the NRL this year.  Some trial games have had referees policing this area and hopefully, this will stimulate the same in SL.

Certainly, it will slow down the speed of attack, but this distinct rule in our game has become a mockery.   Frustrating especially for amateur coaches coaching the correct action, only to see the pro game effect throwing the ball between the legs.

http://www.watoday.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-2018-nrl-to-launch-crackdown-on-play-the-balls-20180210-h0vw3g.html

Please let this happen over here as well,what we currently have really is a horror show

16 minutes ago, jpmc said:

Please let this happen over here as well,what we currently have really is a horror show

What’s forgotten, is that the foot on the ball is a Rule that’s just being ignored.  IMO, we’ve ignored it more than NRL, but whatever, it’s part of our game.  Regaining the feet before playing it is also fading away.  

12 minutes ago, jpmc said:

Our rules quite clearly state the ball should be played with the foot. Did someone change those rules? Yes I can see the principal in speeding the game up but surely the rules should have been adapted to support that. A case of getting everyone back on the same page again and stopping the inconsistencies. Otherwise what's the point in having rules.

52 minutes ago, Southerner said:

Great more whistle blowing and stoppages!!

One of the best part of our sport is the quickness, we’ve got to be careful we don’t lose this.

There needn't be more whistleblowing and stoppages if the players stuck to  the rules.

I'd like to see more policing of this too.

Yes, speed is part of Rugby League's appeal, but so also are skills and disicipline. A player who has done the necessary practice drills should still be able to restart play quickly while adhering to the rules.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The fraction of a second extra this takes should also be offset by the refs (or linesmen) policing the defensive line better. as you see many instances where by the time the dummy half gets his hands on the ball the defence is nearly in their faces

From my recollection, when this was policed more closely it was done so very frustratingly. 

It was one of those things that the ref could have pinged 20 times a game but would very rarely do so. Therefore when it was given, it was completely random and extremely annoying. 

17 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

From my recollection, when this was policed more closely it was done so very frustratingly. 

It was one of those things that the ref could have pinged 20 times a game but would very rarely do so. Therefore when it was given, it was completely random and extremely annoying. 

In that case the answer is to blow their whistles every time in happens, not just some times.  Then the players will get the message.

26 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

If the refs used discretion to penalise when the attacking side gained an unfair advantage then that'd work, for example the daft not-quite-on-feet roll backwards to get the ball going quickly to exploit a broken defensive line I've seen a few of this season.  Apart from that, if there's no advantage to the attacking side then get on with the game.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

4 minutes ago, ckn said:

If the refs used discretion to penalise when the attacking side gained an unfair advantage then that'd work, for example the daft not-quite-on-feet roll backwards to get the ball going quickly to exploit a broken defensive line I've seen a few of this season.  Apart from that, if there's no advantage to the attacking side then get on with the game.

I think that’s fair enough.  The n-a-o-f roll is commonplace now, enabling a step forward by the attacking player into the 1st marker.  Easy to deflect the marker and allow the gap behind the PTB to open up.  

The PTB is part of our heritage and identity, but if it’s in the Rules then follow it or take it out of the Rules.  

24 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I think that’s fair enough.  The n-a-o-f roll is commonplace now, enabling a step forward by the attacking player into the 1st marker.  Easy to deflect the marker and allow the gap behind the PTB to open up.  

The PTB is part of our heritage and identity, but if it’s in the Rules then follow it or take it out of the Rules.  

Enforce the rules as written, nothing else.

Just now, Big Picture said:

Enforce the rules as written, nothing else.

But that’s not how reffing works. If you played strictly to the rules then the ref would need a replacement whistle every 20 mins or so.

Materiality matters, if it doesn’t matter then why blow the whistle beyond showing you can blow it. For example, a lazy runner on the far wing won’t be 10m back but does it really matter?  Also, according to the rules an injured defensive player lying on the ground not 10m back is offside but you’d have to be a thorough idiot to blow up. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, ckn said:

But that’s not how reffing works. If you played strictly to the rules then the ref would need a replacement whistle every 20 mins or so.

Materiality matters, if it doesn’t matter then why blow the whistle beyond showing you can blow it. For example, a lazy runner on the far wing won’t be 10m back but does it really matter?  Also, according to the rules an injured defensive player lying on the ground not 10m back is offside but you’d have to be a thorough idiot to blow up. 

I strongly believe that all sports should always be reffed according to how the rules are written, and if governing bodies want a different interpretation then it's their responsibility to change their rules accordingly first.

2 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I strongly believe that all sports should always be reffed according to how the rules are written, and if governing bodies want a different interpretation then it's their responsibility to change their rules accordingly first.

It will never work like that.  The games too quick and fringe issues don’t matter so much.  If they do, they will be picked up on VR.

I don’t mind this as part of a general cleaning up of the ruck . We’ve become so obsessed with speed it’s become messy and penalty filled . Maybe a good thing to slow it down a second or two and get more structure in it . Hopefully we also see refs not penalising as much at the ruck for players throwing themselves around and trying to play the ball to fast,  and for dropping the ball or losing it in contact without any intentional strip . So many pens are around the play the ball and to often the default position is penalty to the attacker . Hopefully this is a step in cleaning things up and this year we see fewer penalties handed out as refs have been eager , or instructed , to be strict with the whistle under the previous refs regime 

Archived