No change to SL. P*** poor journalists speculation

“On that point: once again, there is a load of speculation and a lot of it comes from really ****-poor journalists in my opinion – journalists who should know better, who should have a grasp of the facts rather than just a fantasy.“

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-news/super-league-expansion-leeds-rhinos-1200855

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

“On that point: once again, there is a load of speculation and a lot of it comes from really ****-poor journalists in my opinion – journalists who should know better, who should have a grasp of the facts rather than just a fantasy.“

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-news/super-league-expansion-leeds-rhinos-1200855

Morning LD!

As you know I'm not a fan of journos on the whole but I have the feeling this may not be just down to them.

Gary H, and expansion .........mmmmmmmm?

Less money for the Rhinos so into the waste bin. Self-interest always rules, doesn't it?

On another note like the Angevins we've finally admitted defeat and are leaving L'hexagon for good. Hope all is well with you.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I'm not sure you can blame speculative journalism. The fact all clubs where to be informed prior  to the 2018 season  on the outcome of a restructure for 2019 and then that put on the back burner,sort of leaves this statement contradictory to the original facts.

To echo a point made by Martyn Sadler a couple of weeks ago on here, perhaps "poor" journalism could be avoided if there was more transparency on the difficult subjects from the people involved with making the decisions. A willingness to discuss them would be a start. 

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Obviously Ian Leneghan has a different view (see other thread)

“Super League will be an international competition in five years’ time,” Lenagan said.

“I believe at that time, as well as the English clubs, we’ll have Toulouse, we’ll have Perpignan, we’ll have Toronto, we’ll probably have New York within that time scale.

Perhaps those four new teams will simply replace existing clubs?

Those are fairly embarrassing quotes, and not just on account of the laguage involved.

If it was so clear that there are to be no changes, those in charge could have put out a very clear statement that this was the case and that the structure will remain the same. They haven't been able to because, I.believe, they haven't yet decided. 

It is the job of journalists to unearth that clarity.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

I think the issue is the nature of how journalists have changed in general.

Sport Journalists used to have contacts and in-depth knowledge in the game.

A lot of the writing now is ill-informed opinion taken directly from press releases.

Gary's position, which we have reported previously in League Express, is that the current league structure is part of the deal with Sky Sports.

So it can't be changed unless someone can persuade Sky to allow the change in their broadcasting contract.

And so far no one has done that, even though plenty of other clubs would like to.

I'm not quite sure why Gary would want to generalise so widely about Rugby League journalists.

And just because he says it, it doesn't mean it's true.

If you're going to criticise someone it's better to be more direct and specific.

Part of the problem is that these days the RFL seems to behave almost like a secret society, not communicating its decisions publicly.

Greater transparency would go some way to solving the problem.

3 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Gary's position, which we have reported previously in League Express, is that the current league structure is part of the deal with Sky Sports.

So it can't be changed unless someone can persuade Sky to allow the change in their broadcasting contract.

And so far no one has done that, even though plenty of other clubs would like to.

I'm not quite sure why Gary would want to generalise so widely about Rugby League journalists.

And just because he says it, it doesn't mean it's true.

If you're going to criticise someone it's better to be more direct and specific.

Part of the problem is that these days the RFL seems to behave almost like a secret society, not communicating its decisions publicly.

Greater transparency would go some way to solving the problem.

First of all is that correct? I don't see how the Sky deal can be part of the deal as the Middle 8's were brought into being well after the contract or is he only referring to the number of teams involved?

If the SL/RFL management can't change their own league without Sky's say-so then it is a bad deal and those who agreed to it under those terms need to be ousted.Was Gary one of them?

Gary is stating the Rhino's position on this not the game's and if they can veto 14 clubs they clearly will.

No he shouldn't be generalising and as it is the lack of information and the information leaked that all journalism is based on he should be looking among the people next to him at SL/RFL meetings rather than the journalists whose job it is to look for a story.

And yes the RFL certainly needs to be more outgoing and transparent but they have stated clearly on this very issue that they have delayed this in order to come to the right decision (reported on Total RL I think) which of course is not much of a story whereas Gary bashing journos makes for good column inches.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

So perhaps someone, a journalist maybe, could find out whether a change to the SL structure is possible under this contract?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

Those are fairly embarrassing quotes, and not just on account of the laguage involved.

If it was so clear that there are to be no changes, those in charge could have put out a very clear statement that this was the case and that the structure will remain the same. They haven't been able to because, I.believe, they haven't yet decided. 

It is the job of journalists to unearth that clarity.

The question is who are those in charge. I read all of this as political positioning by individual chairmen attempting to establish their personal positions ahead of SLE attempting to control the whole shooting match. Nobody is in charge of anything, the RFL is simply being run by a stand-in with no authority to actually do anything except for the day to day administration, and the SL chairmen seem reluctant to get together and properly hammer things out.

Just be thankful we don't run the country like this ..................oh, just a minute!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I must admit that I was under the impression that the current structure was part of the Sky deal and wasn't up for renegotiation. I'm also with those that think that we're not going to get as good a financial deal next time round - there's been talk in the city pages of the media that the reason that Sky and BT have been cuddling up with each other in spite of their mutual loathing is to drive down the cost of the next soccer contract which they both think that they overpaid for last time round.

Where in the world was Gary Hetherington when he deigned to speak to an Australian journalist?

Am I now to believe that the Super League owners club are in a similar position to the RFL where the left hand doesn't know where the right hand is positioned,let alone what it is doing?

How are the British based journalists meant to know what is happening when the club owners are in complete disarray?

Managing to make the RFL look proficient is quite an accomplishment.

This is all going splendidly....Please let the people in Toronto or New York take over.Reserve sides and player pathway(s) please...?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

2 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

I think the issue is the nature of how journalists have changed in general.

Sport Journalists used to have contacts and in-depth knowledge in the game.

A lot of the writing now is ill-informed opinion taken directly from press releases.

The biggest problem with sports (and other) journalists is most have been made redundant. All that's left is kids, fresh from a useless 'media studies' course, being paid peanuts to produce 'churnalism'. That's why so much press release bilge is simply regurgitated, word for semi-literate word. There's nobody left to either check anything or rewrite it. The nature of journalism has changed because of lack of investment in talent and experience. It's the same with rugby league: field a team of youngsters, and they'll flounder.

Seems pretty clear to me - major infighting seems to be going on for control of the game.  Or, the top flight at least.

Again

Facilitated by the near-complete lack of transparency (and executive vacuum) at the RFL.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

Just now, Adeybull said:

Seems pretty clear to me - major infighting seems to be going on for control of the game.  Or, the top flight at least.

Again

Facilitated by the near-complete lack of transparency (and executive vacuum) at the RFL.

I'm not sure that's fair Adey.

This is what many wanted. I wanted the SLE clubs to take charge so that they no longer had a scapegoat, don't let them off with it by still blaming the RFL.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

The question is who are those in charge. I read all of this as political positioning by individual chairmen attempting to establish their personal positions ahead of SLE attempting to control the whole shooting match. Nobody is in charge of anything, the RFL is simply being run by a stand-in with no authority to actually do anything except for the day to day administration, and the SL chairmen seem reluctant to get together and properly hammer things out.

Just be thankful we don't run the country like this ..................oh, just a minute!

Exactly.

And, for European Union read Rugby Union (as to who will gain from the internal turmoil), and the parallels are even closer?

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

22 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure that's fair Adey.

This is what many wanted. I wanted the SLE clubs to take charge so that they no longer had a scapegoat, don't let them off with it by still blaming the RFL.

I probably did not make my meaning clear.

The continuing lack of transparency at the RFL, plus now the power vacuum and (seems to me) probable coronation of Rimmer to me facilitates a situation where we cannot be sure ANYONE is really acting in the best interests of the whole game?

If I was a SL club chairman, maybe concerned mostly with the interests of my own club and the hell with the rest of the game, I might be quite happy for this situation to continue.  And see a "tame" CEO appointed.  Since...yes...the RFL will be the scapegoat, and most of what matters will REALLY be decided by me and my fellow SL chairmen.  Or a majority of them, anyway.

Fortunately, all the SL club chairmen are doubtless honourable, altruistic gentlemen acting for the good of the wider game, are they not? So my hypothetical analysis could not really eventuate.  Could it?

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I have some sympathy with Hetherington in that there has been unclear reporting often contradictory and some wild speculation from the RL press.

However he can't claim that this is all made up. Only last week Derek Beaumont explicitly stated the SL clubs had planned to go to 14 and that's why there was a parachute payment. Both Roger Draper and Ralph Rimmer have told us that there is a possibility of a restructure.

What I would say is that this is another example of a failure of leadership. There has been contradictory messages put out and lack of transparency and in that darkness speculation has been rampant. 

If both Leigh and Leeds were self-serving....

Leeds would want a smaller league of a few big clubs (no matter where in the world they are).
Leigh would want a larger league or two leagues if ten in which would lead to the top 14 or top 20 getting big pay-outs.

This remains hypothetical.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Archived