Crowd for home opener

RobertAM

Betcha we break our attendance record at the home opener (which seems AGES away & whenever the Toronto OneArmed Blind Landscaping Collective finish laying the turf). The number stands at 8,546 against Doncaster 16 Sept '17.   Drag your family/relatives/friends/people on the street and see if we can do it, I'm even contemplating bringing the mutha-in-law and believe me that is a spacewalk for me!!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

, I'm even contemplating bringing the mutha-in-law and believe me that is a spacewalk for me!!!

One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

2 hours ago, ojx said:

The question is, where will the home opener against Swinton be? I really doubt that the field will be ready by May 5. I am betting on it being at Tim Horton's Field.

Hehe... I'm in England on May 5. The one, the single game that I want them to take to London, they will keep it in Canada.

Hamilton would be a logical choice, even if I would be really surprised if Hamilton application is accepted for 2019 or 2020... but it's hard to guess where else because they never told us in the first place why they didn't find any other stadium for the April 28 game. 

If you are promoted to SL how will you squeeze in the few thousand away fans some Super League clubs will bring?

Hull FC just brought a few thousand fans to Australia. Toronto is practically next door compared to that.

How will Toronto residents, fans and media react to the full English sport experience of 1000s of singing English fans?

1 hour ago, Copa said:

If you are promoted to SL how will you squeeze in the few thousand away fans some Super League clubs will bring?

Hull FC just brought a few thousand fans to Australia. Toronto is practically next door compared to that.

How will Toronto residents, fans and media react to the full English sport experience of 1000s of singing English fans?

Probably rejoice in them spending GBP's here and try to learn their history and if they do perceive us as a fake club why...then make them try poutine and post their OMG faces online 

they CAN expand Lamport; the south parking lot begs to be converted and that could add  about another 3000 seats. I'm thinking the east and west stands (capacity abt 4800 each)  could be replaced adding seats and increase the total capacity by about 2000 each so then we are at abt 16000. Big enough? if not then we're looking at BMO field. 

as far as 1000's of English fans..bring it on..we'll all get blotto together post match at our famed beer garden and have a whale of a time..when Hunslet and York were here it was magic except for Mojito man running out of rum..but we coped.

23 hours ago, RobertAM said:

they CAN expand Lamport; the south parking lot begs to be converted and that could add  about another 3000 seats. I'm thinking the east and west stands (capacity abt 4800 each)  could be replaced adding seats and increase the total capacity by about 2000 each so then we are at abt 16000. Big enough? if not then we're looking at BMO field. 

as far as 1000's of English fans..bring it on..we'll all get blotto together post match at our famed beer garden and have a whale of a time..when Hunslet and York were here it was magic except for Mojito man running out of rum..but we coped.

Lack of rum was part of the learning curve. I'm sure that they will be checking in o. The expected away fan numbers in the future and stock up accordingly 

If Lamport stadium is not ready ( now international places are going find out how slowly Toronto city does things) then Hamilton would be an excellent idea. Test the market for a potential Hamilton team. Yes no doubt the Hamilton fans will be cheering against Toronto. Might get a good crowd if promoted as a step to a Hamilton team as well as the spectacle itself. 

5 minutes ago, bob keenan said:

If Lamport stadium is not ready ( now international places are going find out how slowly Toronto city does things) then Hamilton would be an excellent idea. Test the market for a potential Hamilton team. Yes no doubt the Hamilton fans will be cheering against Toronto. Might get a good crowd if promoted as a step to a Hamilton team as well as the spectacle itself. 

bob......welcome.   Hope you've got a thick skin to deal with some (fortunately a minority) of the anti-TWP posters on here.

On 2/17/2018 at 3:58 PM, Copa said:

I think that would be a dream scenario. Imagine in year three,  you are in SL, attracting thousands of passionate away fans every week and maintaining home support such that you have to expand seating. 

I think the jury's still out on the success of RL over here. We've had one season of winning RL in a huge market. I'd be happy if TWP got to SL and averaged 9600 (current capacity) next year. Things have gone as well as could be imagined in Toronto and their future looks good but...

I think we are a long way from worrying about how to "squeeze in" thousands of away fans. I'd like nothing more than for that to be a problem though

It will be interesting to see what kind of crowds turn up this season. Do you guys think being in a higher quality league will directly affect crowd numbers? Surely most without a rugby league background most won't really consider there to be much difference between league one and championship rugby.

What was the average crowd last season? Is there any information on how many season tickets have been sold so far and how many were last year? From what I remember season tickets were quite a small fraction of overall sales, but I suppose that's to be expected with a new team.

Anyway good luck for the season guys! Who knows, maybe i'll manage to get over to Toronto when Featherstone play there.

Average crowd about 7000  peaked at 8546 last game. I expect the average to be abt 8000 this year with the outcome in some games not being pre-determined as was the case in 2017.

don't know how many season tickets have being sold but in my case many of the "one of's"  I brought to games last year now have season tickets.

look forward to seeing you here fevtom..you will be amazed by the atmosphere on game day..

On 2/18/2018 at 7:58 AM, RobertAM said:

Betcha we break our attendance record at the home opener

I take it from your comment the public interest is swelling for the TWP. There is such a thing as second year blues. I really do want to see more turning up but it's not a given IMO. I'm sure the club is not taking anything for granted and will do what they can to get the message out.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

raycee - I think the prolonged absence caused by the delay getting Lamport fixed up and the resulting first half season being UK based will only cause the ranks to swell..and if the enthusiasm of the crowd at 3Brewers watching these games is anything to go by I don't think we need to worry..

On 2/18/2018 at 1:08 AM, Krzzystuff said:

Probably rejoice in them spending GBP's here and try to learn their history and if they do perceive us as a fake club why...then make them try poutine and post their OMG faces online 

You'll probably find that most SL fans don't have the same mentality as the bitter lower-league fans you've come across so far. They're mostly just like normal sports fans, rather than the mixture of miserable old guys and strange backwoodsmen that tend to follow a lot of the 'traditional' clubs.

12 hours ago, Kayakman said:

With no OHP alot will depend on the weather...a large part of the crowd gets their tickets at the gate...so alot depends on the forecast.

OHP? Overhead Projector? Ontario Housing Project? Online Haggis Purchasing?

not clear on what you were referring to here...

1 hour ago, John WP Fan said:

OHP? Overhead Projector? Ontario Housing Project? Online Haggis Purchasing?

not clear on what you were referring to here...

overhead protection is the only thing that would make sense but I've never seen that as an acronym....

Archived