Crowd for home opener

RobertAM

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have overhead protection sorted..called my bleedin' 'at!

fortified by a nice rum toddy taking care of things from the inside...what's the problem??

Run with the Pack!!

6 hours ago, John WP Fan said:

OHP? Overhead Projector? Ontario Housing Project? Online Haggis Purchasing?

not clear on what you were referring to here...

4 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

overhead protection is the only thing that would make sense but I've never seen that as an acronym....

Overhead protection...old military term...sorry...I'll be more specific next time!!!

5 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

i'm pretty sure hipster vegans eat hipster vegan poutines...no one hates poutines!!!!

5 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

I’ll be the judge of that.

I like mine with fatty meats, whiskey and a touch of maple syrup.

THE MAPLE SYRUP HAS STARTED TO RUN LAST NIGHT!  Buddies are tapping their trees and starting the collection of the liquid amber....evaporator is ON and the good times are here again.....

I repeat; All hands on deck....the maple syrup is running again!

HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN!

We have what’s called Shrove Tuesday over here Lman. I don’t know if you’re familiar with it. It’s historically based on using up the foods you won’t be having during Lent. Basically, we make pancakes. I have mine with streaky bacon (fatty bacon to you), blueberries and maple syrup. Is that OK for you?

rldfsignature.jpg

5 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

We have what’s called Shrove Tuesday over here Lman. I don’t know if you’re familiar with it. It’s historically based on using up the foods you won’t be having during Lent. Basically, we make pancakes. I have mine with streaky bacon (fatty bacon to you), blueberries and maple syrup. Is that OK for you?

DP like come on...Catholics all over the world practice Lent!!!!!......you really gotta get out more...out to the woodlot!....THE SYRUP IS FLOWING,THE SYRUP IS FLOWING!....good times are here again!

Are those blueberries organic?

My son does soccer training at Lamport stadium through the winter. His team just got the following notice:

"All Lamport session after March 16th have been cancelled, as the facility has advised that they are closing down early to start the process of replacing the playing surface. "

A good sign.

1 hour ago, ojx said:

My son does soccer training at Lamport stadium through the winter. His team just got the following notice:

"All Lamport session after March 16th have been cancelled, as the facility has advised that they are closing down early to start the process of replacing the playing surface. "

A good sign.

Put those pesky kids in their place!!!!

I do feel for all those people who participate in winter leagues though. Hopefully they can get the scheduling between the winter leagues and our needs sorted out for next year and make it as much a win win situation as possible.

7 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

Put those pesky kids in their place!!!!

I do feel for all those people who participate in winter leagues though. Hopefully they can get the scheduling between the winter leagues and our needs sorted out for next year and make it as much a win win situation as possible.

Just shows the need for more useable recreation space Metro Toronto!

Only semi-related to the OP but I have noticed some RU people talking about this article. It mentions that about half of TWP tickets were given away for free. True? It's not a bad strategy to create new fans and of course they buy food and drink at the venue. But is it accurate that 50% of tickets are given away, and does the club plan to do the same this year?

Chief executive and club founder Eric Perez secured the use of 10,000-seater Lamport Stadium in Toronto, and last year average home gates were a healthy 7,000 (though half of those attending had complimentary tickets).

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42702631

37 minutes ago, westside said:

Only semi-related to the OP but I have noticed some RU people talking about this article. It mentions that about half of TWP tickets were given away for free. True? It's not a bad strategy to create new fans and of course they buy food and drink at the venue. But is it accurate that 50% of tickets are given away, and does the club plan to do the same this year?

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42702631

Not accurate...is false news that seems to keep getting repeated along with:

1) mob connections,

2) fabricated attendance figures,

3) cut outs of people put in place to make crowd larger,

etc., etc.

Sad really.

when you can get 140 odd people to a 1000am Sunday brunch to meet 1 (admittedly very impressive) injured player and watch an away (that's 3000 miles away) game  I wouldn't worry too much about maintaining your fan base...I'm betting there's going to be some very envious clubs observing our party once things get rolling at home in May....

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

Not accurate...is false news that seems to keep getting repeated along with:

1) mob connections,

2) fabricated attendance figures,

3) cut outs of people put in place to make crowd larger,

etc., etc.

Sad really.

Even if they were, what's wrong with a free ticket? geez..

2 minutes ago, krakauer said:

Even if they were, what's wrong with a free ticket? geez..

There is a group of people that want us to fail, they point out everything we are doing wrong.  In truth,they are jealous of our owner, our manager, our director of rugby operations and everything else about us; our players, our fans.

They call us mercenaries,vampires, etc.etc.

We pay them no heed, we are too busy moving FORWARD!

4 hours ago, Kayakman said:

There is a group of people that want us to fail, they point out everything we are doing wrong.  In truth,they are jealous of our owner, our manager, our director of rugby operations and everything else about us; our players, our fans.

They call us mercenaries,vampires, etc.etc.

We pay them no heed, we are too busy moving FORWARD!

Rugby Canada wishes it was connected to someone with money, not that they would have a clue what to do with it ?

4 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Rugby Canada wishes it was connected to someone with money, not that they would have a clue what to do with it ?

Realistically though they are two different games aren't they? I always though rugby was a slow game before TWP and didn't know of the two codes. I saw a few Canada RU games and played a year in high school.

RL is made for the modern day because it's fast paced with lot's of action. RU makes me think of the old cricket tests that lasted a week vs. the 20/20 games...old world vs new world. Time is the most important resource people have so if they are going to spend it on your product it better be full of entertainment. the passionate fans will still turn out for RU but the casual modern day fan where the vast majority of new money will come from won't take to the product.

Just my thought on the codes without much experience with either.

9 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

Exactly, there was money once, or the potential for it,  but the vision wasn't there, there were alot of positive people too.

There is always hope!

10 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

Realistically though they are two different games aren't they? I always though rugby was a slow game before TWP and didn't know of the two codes. I saw a few Canada RU games and played a year in high school.

RL is made for the modern day because it's fast paced with lot's of action. RU makes me think of the old cricket tests that lasted a week vs. the 20/20 games...old world vs new world. Time is the most important resource people have so if they are going to spend it on your product it better be full of entertainment. the passionate fans will still turn out for RU but the casual modern day fan where the vast majority of new money will come from won't take to the product.

Just my thought on the codes without much experience with either.

But its a good observation....crowds at Wolfpack games are mainly none rugby union people...a whole new fan base!

Some posters on here think its made up but that is false news....one merely has to go to a home game and crowd watch.   It must drive the Union people mad since this is the demographic they have been searching for in Canada for years. .This is a great, great advantage for League right now over here....we must strike with expansion while the iron is hot. 

The location of Lamport has certainly helped alot with access.

3 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

The location of Lamport has certainly helped alot with access.

this is the tricky thing for us isn't it? the location of the stadium and the intimacy of it and space for the beer garden make it perfect but no roof and not having access until late April at the earliest is a headache with the summer sport that starts in Feb. I think RobAM or someone with an "ob" in their name mentioned that Argyle has stated on the boat party that he likes the Den and would prefer to stay at the smaller stadium and keep the intimacy vs. going to BMO and getting more seats but less atmosphere. a new build would be pretty far away as land ain't cheap in TO.

side note: do you think they will finally finish those condos in the background and use watching RL games from your balcony as a selling point?

2 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

this is the tricky thing for us isn't it? the location of the stadium and the intimacy of it and space for the beer garden make it perfect but no roof and not having access until late April at the earliest is a headache with the summer sport that starts in Feb. I think RobAM or someone with an "ob" in their name mentioned that Argyle has stated on the boat party that he likes the Den and would prefer to stay at the smaller stadium and keep the intimacy vs. going to BMO and getting more seats but less atmosphere. a new build would be pretty far away as land ain't cheap in TO.

side note: do you think they will finally finish those condos in the background and use watching RL games from your balcony as a selling point?

Robert is in one of dem dere Condos and I'm really jealous!

I would love to see Lamport fixed up but honestly they could put in a few stands around the ends but they need another level on the two main ones that are there...that would solve the problem and move capacity to something around 15, 000.  Another level on both sides could make about 18, 000  if that was done also.

It is a prime location no doubt.   Need to have a partnership with the City to make it happen.   Really we need to see how this year goes before any plans can be made...it is looking good though.

Side Note:  Heard price of condos is falling in TO....if there is a crash of the bubble you might be able to pick one up cheap!  I like that Liberty Village area and it would be nice to have a place in the City to visit the odd time.

1 hour ago, Krzzystuff said:

BMO Parking = $15

1 pint of beer-a-like = $14.95

Filling 22.000 seats for Rugby League game at Championship level = probable but highly unlikely.

Lamport is the one (would like to see opening game @ Varsity)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varsity_Stadium#/media/File:Varsity_Centre.JPG 

I live on Queens Quay not Liberty Village/King west but being only a 15 minute walk (or 30 minute post game stagger) away isn't bad..and even if you had one of those condos overlooking Lamport you'd get fed up with game day moochers drinking all your beer n rum and then you'd miss the atmosphere in the den/beergarden which is of course ###### magic!

if they could revamp the seating at Lamport and allow say 15-18000 punters that'd be perfect all it needs is a good stadium engineer/architect. The location is brilliant.

Archived