Bennett back - Darryl not yet.

Have the RFL (or whoever makes the decisions) ever actually said Powell will be the next England coach? Most fans (and a few journos) assume it is a nailed-on certainty, but have the people who make that decision ever mentioned his name in the context of the England job?

There's been so much speculation, I can't remember who said what.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Have the RFL (or whoever makes the decisions) ever actually said Powell will be the next England coach? Most fans (and a few journos) assume it is a nailed-on certainty, but have the people who make that decision ever mentioned his name in the context of the England job?

There's been so much speculation, I can't remember who said what.

Not yet.  The piece says ‘imminently’ based on Sinfields recommend, and DP will continue with Cas.  DP did say, last year probably after WB met with the SL coaches, that he and WP had different philosophies.  I think Darryl wants to be his own man.

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Not yet.  The piece says ‘imminently’ based on Sinfields recommend, and DP will continue with Cas.  DP did say, last year probably after WB met with the SL coaches, that he and WP had different philosophies.  I think Darryl wants to be his own man.

Bennett then Powell with potentially no handover period sounds like a recipe for disaster 

8 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

I honestly don't know why everyone seems to think that Powell should be nailed on to replace Bennett.

He's not exactly pulled all the trees up has he?

If anyone should be nailed on based on success, it should be McDermott.

Powell has had one above average season in SL, his next season has started of mildly.

Sinfield is the person recommending him who's experience outside of playing is somewhat limited.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

11 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

I honestly don't know why everyone seems to think that Powell should be nailed on to replace Bennett.

Bennett to Powell a year out from the WC is too much of a philosophical change for mine. Would be more comfortable with McDermott

9 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Also, two years is a long time in sport. If he holds off because he wants to be the man then his stock may fall - it happens to the best of people. Not saying it will but that is life. For what it's worth I'm really glad Bennett is saying on and I think the players will be too.

20 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Yes maybe that’s it . Would be a tough asst gig if you inherently differed from the guys philosophy calling the shots . I’d still like to see him take on the lions tour at least . Don’t know whether this affects a future England job but maybe after Bennett it won’t be the worst to have a fresh approach and way of playing . More of a traditional English way as Gus Gould said to hit the Aussies with and try n trouble them 

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Yes maybe that’s it . Would be a tough asst gig if you inherently differed from the guys philosophy calling the shots . I’d still like to see him take on the lions tour at least . Don’t know whether this affects a future England job but maybe after Bennett it won’t be the worst to have a fresh approach and way of playing . More of a traditional English way as Gus Gould said to hit the Aussies with and try n trouble them 

That’s my take on it.  IMO BMc is the pick of our lot, by a distance.  But, again, wou,d he take an assistants role?  We also have another matter in that Betts appears to have been overlooked or he too, doesn’t want the role.

5 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

That’s my take on it.  IMO BMc is the pick of our lot, by a distance.  But, again, wou,d he take an assistants role?  We also have another matter in that Betts appears to have been overlooked or he too, doesn’t want the role.

If no one wants it there’s always Kevin Walters and Alfie Langer !! 

11 minutes ago, DavidM said:

If Powell is actually in England's sights as a future coach, serving as an understudy to someone with a very different philosophy could broaden his outlook and improve his work at all levels. He doesn't have to adopt everything Bennett does, but if he's bright, he can watch and learn from what happens as a result.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

If Powell is actually in England's sights as a future coach, serving as an understudy to someone with a very different philosophy could broaden his outlook and improve his work at all levels. He doesn't have to adopt everything Bennett does, but if he's bright, he can watch and learn from what happens as a result.

And I guess working together they’ve both bases covered in terms of styles of play . But I agree , although who knows how DP sees it . Looks a match from outside anyway

40 minutes ago, Padge said:

Powell has had one above average season in SL, his next season has started of mildly.

Sinfield is the person recommending him who's experience outside of playing is somewhat limited.

Have to agree Darryl was great with my club Fev and has gone on to steadily improve cas playing fast open rugby , it looks like he’s got the england gig based on that I would think one or two other coaches notably wane and McDermott may be a bit perturbed by it . As for sinfields recommendation that just doesn’t add up

No issues personally but I’m a bit surprised the lions tour is thrown in . You’d think that’s a separate ‘ brand ‘ and maybe a fresh approach and style would be appropriate and other guys may have liked a look in 

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

No issues personally but I’m a bit surprised the lions tour is thrown in . You’d think that’s a separate ‘ brand ‘ and maybe a fresh approach and style would be appropriate and other guys may have liked a look in 

Yep would agree. Chance to try something different and create a ethos and style for the Lions.

16 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Yep would agree. Chance to try something different and create a ethos and style for the Lions.

Yes got to agree, a different coach for GB, he - whoever - would bring different tactics and maybe differnt selections, that would be a great comparrison that we all could evaluate, Bennett or A.N. Other no more speculation required for the next WC, evidence will be produced in front of our eyes.

Archived