Rugby League BackChat - sponsored by TotalRL.com - Watch weekly on FreeSports TV

17 hours ago, JoneslessBishop said:

I did a search in Virgin Media last night as I have Prem Sports, as I thought Orem and Freesports and Prem Sports were one and the same. Nothing came up. Is it not on Prem Sports?

Freesports isn't on Virgin Media.

Back Chat isn't on Premier Sports.

You can still watch Back Chat on TotalRL.com every week, if you don't have a TV with Freeview or any other means of receiving the Freesports channel.

http://www.totalrl.com/watch-rugby-league-back-chat-totalrl-com-now/

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This week's Rugby League Back Chat airs on Freesports as follows:

Thur 8 Mar: 8.30pm and Midnight

Fri 9 Mar: 8am and 7pm

Sun 11 Mar: 2.30am and 10am

We will also have it up on TotalRL.com as soon as possible after broadcast, for those who are unable to access it on Freesports.

Watch this space for the latest updates.

It's a bit of a shame that it is premiering during a SL TV game. (I do realise it's not the same channel!)

I'll watch it in due course, but not this evening (and I'll be in the land of nod before midnight lol)

40 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Did Marwan Koukash say he was going to start a team called the Cumbria Lakers or was that just an idea?

He didn't commit quite that far, but he said he'd been up in Cumbria, and sketched out an idea that a brand new club entity without tribal loyalties (not a development of an existing club) could work there, with the existing sides as feeder clubs. That last aspect is the one that would, quite understandably, raise the hackles of traditional fans in the region.

Feeder clubs work in Australia, because that's what they are used to, but in the UK? There'll always be people made very angry by the concept. And those people will refuse to support even a wildly successful side.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

He didn't commit quite that far, but he said he'd been up in Cumbria, and sketched out an idea that a brand new club entity without tribal loyalties (not a development of an existing club) could work there, with the existing sides as feeder clubs. That last aspect is the one that would, quite understandably, raise the hackles of traditional fans in the region.

Feeder clubs work in Australia, because that's what they are used to, but in the UK? There'll always be people made very angry by the concept. And those people will refuse to support even a wildly successful side.

OK, thanks. Didn’t need the usual pop at traditional fans, but thanks.

Oh fantastic more chances for bashing Marwan time, just what the sport and forum need!

This should've come with a spoiler alert .. I've not seen it yet!

45 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I don't think this was a pop at the Flatcappers interpretation of traditional rather the crowd base that turns up in a shared taxi or not at all ... they'll be very cross cos it's a new idea and TGG fans and new concepts don't like appearing on the same stage with each other. The fear of being upstaged runs strong even in the best of us.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

6 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

It wasn't a pop. Sport in the UK has always had that element of, one day, with an influx of cash and a good run of results, your team making it to the top table, be it Super League, the FA Premier League, etc. The Australian structure has feeder clubs for a (mostly) closed-shop elite league, and I find it hard to believe that British fans of any major sport would swallow that. I know I would balk at such an idea. An emotional, rather than intellectual stance, yes, but sport is about emotion.

It's not that one system is wrong and the other right; just that the Australian model is very alien and unwelcome to our eyes. It would take one hell of a lot of persuasion to create a Cumbrian super-club and get the existing local RL fans fully on board.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

That was one of the best shows with the good doctor and schoey going at it and rod studd in charge . Really lively debate and argument and that’s you want more of . Marwan needs a recurring spot to , says what he thinks and has a different perspective 

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

It wasn't a pop. Sport in the UK has always had that element of, one day, with an influx of cash and a good run of results, your team making it to the top table, be it Super League, the FA Premier League, etc. The Australian structure has feeder clubs for a (mostly) closed-shop elite league, and I find it hard to believe that British fans of any major sport would swallow that. I know I would balk at such an idea. An emotional, rather than intellectual stance, yes, but sport is about emotion.

It's not that one system is wrong and the other right; just that the Australian model is very alien and unwelcome to our eyes. It would take one hell of a lot of persuasion to create a Cumbrian super-club and get the existing local RL fans fully on board.

For most of its history Rugby League has had one competition, usually of 30 clubs, that was closed to new entrants without any promotion and relegation.

For most of that time it seemed to work quite well.

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I think a lot of people who had the raw emotion are being challenged by stark reality lately . Barrow I don’t know , but us two up here are treading water and getting further away from the power base . And it’s only going to get tougher to reach or sustain anything at the higher level. If the money , backing and will were there I’d back it as a Cumbrian entity . That emotional link is still there and we are ultimately crying out for good rugby to watch , as the Scotland games showed . It’s a dream now but the way the game is heading it’s our only option , and the good doctor certainly creates a buzz . He knows it’s hard to  reconcile clubs so going above them while pulling them along is a way , but a tough long road . I’d like to see him try

20 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

For most of its history Rugby League has had one competition, usually of 30 clubs, that was closed to new entrants without any promotion and relegation.

For most of that time it seemed to work quite well.

You're right about that. But, in the modern era, any rumour (however imaginary) that SL is "pulling up the drawbridge" arouses very strong feelings on here. And we all remember the reaction to the concept of merged clubs in the mid-Nineties.

And, in the past, when there was a closed top division, RL's attitude to expansion was pretty apathetic, so there were few, if any, new candidates to join the the top clubs.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 hours ago, bird said:

What time did the damn thing start?  I recorded it with it being a game day and now have an hour of presumably overrunning hockey. Not amused.

Yeah truly Shi'ite wasn't it ....... biff on a stick!

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Thanks for that John not only  this but problems at ours with Sky at the moment.

I always thought it was Schoey's arrogance and belittling of modern players but he tops this by being a verbal bully too! Time for the retirement home for the eternally belligerent super egos.

On 28/02/2018 at 1:21 PM, John Drake said:

Just a bit of a reminder that the new series of Rugby League BackChat, now sponsored by TotalRL.com, starts on FreeSports this Thursday, 1st March at 6pm.

Hosted by Dave Woods, this week's guests are Martyn Sadler (Editor of League Express), Danny Lockwood (Publisher of League Weekly) and Chris Irvine (The Times & Sunday Times).

FreeSports is available on Freeview (Ch 95) and a variety of other platforms including Sky, FreeSat, TalkTalk and BT, check their website at https://www.freesports.tv/ for details.

We will be adding each episode to TotalRL.com after broadcast (not entirely sure of the timescale on that yet, watch this space) so it can be viewed online by anyone, anywhere, so there's no excuse not to watch it, and we will be asking questions so pay attention! ;)

I set my planner to record it and all I got was ice hockey.

On 09/03/2018 at 8:52 AM, bird said:

What time did the damn thing start?  I recorded it with it being a game day and now have an hour of presumably overrunning hockey. Not amused.

I got the same thing.

It was all the better for MK but Schoey just doesn't get any better, Has he slept with someone high up? It's the only explanation I can find for his continued presence. Or is only negativity found to be appealing on TV? I could've, should've, would've put this on almost thread but this seems the most appropriate place.

growth-mindset_027.thumb.jpeg.0abf937dd9a7a90117f30c740e63b0e8.jpeg    

21 hours ago, bird said:

The first repeat on Free sport on Friday night was another washout to add insult to injury. I know I can watch in other ways but its getting tiresome.

Yeah, the Sky listings don't match what FreeSports are showing. Thursday night I got Ice Hockey and Friday night it was Bowls. Hopefully, this mornings repeat at 10am will actually be shown......

I think the question might be is Premier on the way out?

It's displaying all the signs and symptoms of a company in trouble, certainly on its online version.

Hope not !

Archived